Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These 4 are almost ready for a new home. I just have to tune them in some wood. 044, 670, 262 all got new meteor, seals, carb kits and a total breakdown. 031 just got a good bath fuel line and a carb kit.
View attachment 478450

View attachment 478451
Now I'm onto one of my projects that's in my collection a Stihl 07.
View attachment 478453
Me and this saw already have a bunch of hours together for over a couple of years. I found it at the junk yard and paid 20.00 for it.
I thought it had a busted crank but found out once I started tinkering with it the starter cup was wore out.
I gave it a good bath, found a new nos fan wheel, filed the points and give it new fuel line and worked on the carb.
It started briefly many times but with out a new kit for a HL carb it was being stubborn. Finally given up and put it back on the shelf.
Fast forward to yesterday. I put it on the bench for another round. This time I bought a universal kit for HL carbs, made in America even.
also decided to replace the seals. What a freaking job that is to do without the proper tools. that was a tough one. Anyway seals installed trying to figure out
how to block everything off finally put the Mitivac on it and nothing.
I sprayed a half bottle of soap bubbles on it and nothing. I couldn't even hear nothing leaking with pressure.
Finally I took the air hose and gave it a bump with that and wouldn't you know it was the case gasket. It also had Jump time from the last session.
So here I am waiting on case gaskets. I love and hate this saw at the same time.

any more progress with this 07 tramp?

Right now a Stihl MS 170, MS 250, 024 & 025

MS 170 waiting for a fuel line & filter, allready got a new carb kit. Had been sitting with fuel for to long other than that very good shape.

MS 250 just needs a air filter cover. Just needed some cleaning & the stuck throttle & quick chain adjuster was ok again.

024 waiting for fuel line, filter & carb kit. Old but very good condition, not a big money maker but deserves to not dust away on a shelf.

025 waiting for a new piston, rings, carb kit, crank seals & bearings. Guess I will not make anything on this one, but just could not get myself to part a complete 20 year old saw, just because of a piston & some bearings

Traded a pick-up load of firewood for a husqvarna 268 runner, 268 builder and 272xp builder. Probably make one saw from the builders as the 268 has a bad crank bearing and the 272 needs a gas tank.0410161840.jpg

Porting a Chinese 44.7mm jug for my 026. Will be interesting to see for how long it will run before it sizes cos the quality of the jug is not good. image.jpeg

Do you have any more pictures of the porting?
We like those chamfer shots and views through the passageways
are always a crowd pleaser!

Tricking up a US MS460.

43f928a6f440a071d2687f82537160b4.jpg

Then back onto the 044

96d9e0fd23abd87799a370ea73c71e6f.jpg

Do you have any more pictures of the porting?
We like those chamfer shots and views through the passageways
are always a crowd pleaser!
I'm sorry. The saw is already assembled and I didn't take any more pictures. Didn't change the timings, just widening the exhaust a bit. Polished intake and exhaust. I formed a grinding stone like this and tried to make the chamfers better.image.jpeg
The OEM stock cylinder is plated with something I think? Tried to remove all the soothe and polish it but I couldn't get a scratch with the sanding paper near the cylinder bore, see picture. The saw is from 95 or 96.image.jpeg

Did a little test run today on my MS250 that had several AM parts. Trying to long term test it to see how the Chinese parts hold up. This thing really ran great compared to a couple I worked on earlier this week but it did have a 15" bar on it, think the others might have had an 18, can't really remember but seemed longer. The saw performed flawlessly so far, wish I was in that shape so I could have cut longer. I don't want to get too worn down because flea markets start tomorrow, might have some good stuff to drag home..I will go out and stack the wood I cut though..

Right now I have a Husky 40 on the bench. Tested the fuel system and found no pulse at the pulse hole. I suppose this means the engine has an air leak somewhere. I checked the pulse hole and it wasn't blocked but the carburetor was completely dry so it wasn't pumping any fuel.

192t, new sprocket, side covers, carb clean, exhaust mod, new bar
192t, new sprocket, brake band, exhaust mod, new bar
192t, complete strip down, needs new cylinder, fuel lines and AV, then timing and exhaust mods
372xp, strip and new bearings seals and gaskets, new xb top end
My bench was pretty stuffed last night! Just the 372 left now

Then two 066 rebuilds, an ms170 rebuild, an ms180 rebuild, then refresh my 288xp with new rings, bolts and stud lock, tart up my 357 and service my 346

Should keep me going for a couple months...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

100_5208.JPG I finally got my puller made from a long screwdriver with a square notch cut from the side of the blade about 1/8" from the end, stick it in between the seal and crank and twist. I tapped the seal out using the screwdriver handle and a small hammer, popped right out. I think it would work on the small 026 Stihl seal also but mine looked pretty good so I left it alone.

I also put together a ultra low budget vac/pressure tester comprised of mostly a bunch of rubber tubing, a gauge, a sparkplug adapter, and a shutoff valve. This setup would be most useful when testing a Stihl clamshell engine with the engine out of the cradle. Probably work on others if I can find things to block off the intake and exhaust.

I see a few, cast deck, Toro walk behinds in that crowd.
Do You ever see any of the old two stroke units come through anymore?

Latest posts

Back