Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be easier than turning those plastic 390's and the like into pro level Husqvarna's :) ( Uh oh..... this might hurt!) (Poulan's and all those class Stihl from 017 to 390's are clam shells)
Clam shell saws are okay for some uses..I kinda like working on them, especially changing bearings, crankshafts, seals..

Yea I like my 350's... clam shells with a plastic case! But they work. BUT u can argue... Husky mid range saws are the pro cases with lesser filter/top ends like the 555's or simply plastic and a few detuned details like the365 vs. 372's..... Where clam shell over laps pro level designs is where many folks spend their money... that $500 dollar range. Does it matter? No, not really unless needing for a reaction on a place like this..:)

I have a 455 on the bench with crush/dropped from a bucket truck damage. The guy has used it in a pro logging environment since he bought it in 2005.... but to listen to many experts it's not a suitable saw for that role but there it is, still runs nice just gravity and 30ft put a hitch in it's git along. Obviously clam shell's have been performing well for a very long time. Just a Pita to work the cylinder for more compression. But who cares about that??

SO I have a 455 with a broken handle and mashed covers on the bench.... And the Sea Ray is right next to it and drawing my attention away from saws for a while... :(

Yea I like my 350's... clam shells with a plastic case! But they work. BUT u can argue... Husky mid range saws are the pro cases with lesser filter/top ends like the 555's or simply plastic and a few detuned details like the365 vs. 372's..... Where clam shell over laps pro level designs is where many folks spend their money... that $500 dollar range. Does it matter? No, not really unless needing for a reaction on a place like this..:)

I have a 455 on the bench with crush/dropped from a bucket truck damage. The guy has used it in a pro logging environment since he bought it in 2005.... but to listen to many experts it's not a suitable saw for that role but there it is, still runs nice just gravity and 30ft put a hitch in it's git along. Obviously clam shell's have been performing well for a very long time. Just a Pita to work the cylinder for more compression. But who cares about that??

SO I have a 455 with a broken handle and mashed covers on the bench.... And the Sea Ray is right next to it and drawing my attention away from saws for a while... :(

I just had 'bigrick95rr' ask for some advice on modding the 455. He read my thread on modding the 450 and I told him how to do a muffler mod, trim 1/2mm off the exhaust side of the piston and match the strato and intake. He seems quite happy with the results. The total outlay for the mods - 0$.

So if you are rebuilding a 455/460 Husky, a new ring and a bit of easy work can get you a strong running, reliable saw for a minimum outlay. Perhaps I can get him to post his results...

Lol tastes like...
632f8076c534e6d4422f22dbb063173b.jpg

I just had 'bigrick95rr' ask for some advice on modding the 455. He read my thread on modding the 450 and I told him how to do a muffler mod, trim 1/2mm off the exhaust side of the piston and match the strato and intake. He seems quite happy with the results. The total outlay for the mods - 0$.

So if you are rebuilding a 455/460 Husky, a new ring and a bit of easy work can get you a strong running, reliable saw for a minimum outlay. Perhaps I can get him to post his results...

Awesome info! All I've done have been muffler mods as that seems to make them sound faster... :) And on my old 455 it like more fuel than as it was set stock. Haven't looked inside one yet. Maybe that is a place to wander next.

Yea I would open up the 455 I use mine for cutting a lot of rail road tie with a 20 inch bar . It was bogging down a little on some of the cut as I pushed it.

With terry's help I modded the saw did a few little cuts but haven't pushed it hard yet . Waiting on more ties to cut soon. But so far good jump in power it ripped though the one tie I had left.

I added a new type of spark plug RCJ6Y pulled the gasket off filed a little off the flat part to get it to sink a little deeper in combustion chamber and added a new gasket from a alum can.

I did a little porting and shaping of the piston . There more to be had there as I took small amounts out being cautious

Over all it starts better and pulls harder I had to added a lot more fuel to the carb to get it to run right. I also turned the oil pump screw to max to lube up the chain at the higher speed.

After I finish breaking up and installing new concrete driveway. I will be cutting down some big trees so I will update then. Sorry about the spelling I'm typing from a tiny smart phone .

I also wanted to add if any one has a link to a good cheap 460 cylinder and new piston / ring send me a link .

I think my old ring might be a little worn it looked a little rough. When I get time I plan to do a compression test on it to see how the ring is doing. I think I could gain a little more with just a new ring. But this is just a guess as it might look rough but is sealing good.

I've had the saw for close to 8 years now. I wish I did this modding sooner
I was looking at a stihl MS441 c-m to put a 24 ish bar on it and put a 16 on the 455. but now I will wait another year to keep playing and pushing the 455

I've done 15 MS661s so far........

I love that saw. It's never gonna be a race saw...........the M-Tronic system is RPM limited, and runs a little rich. Both of those things are OK with me. It makes a great work saw. The 390XP is also a great saw, and is likely stronger after these are both ported.

It still comes down to personal preference........which saw feels better in your hand?

I love that saw. It's never gonna be a race saw...........the M-Tronic system is RPM limited, and runs a little rich. Both of those things are OK with me. It makes a great work saw. The 390XP is also a great saw, and is likely stronger after these are both ported.

It still comes down to personal preference........which saw feels better in your hand?

make mine a 288xp.

And I love what you do to them to Randy my 661 is very strong thankyou again :bowdown:

Latest posts

Back