Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been thinking about biulding a pipe that has an adjustable or changeable choke or trap on the outlet to see what kind of differences in power and RPMs it would make.
Any thoughts ?
The first thing that came to my mind was a poly choke on a shotgun LOL

Same Shindaiwa 577 is still on the bench. I only get a little time to work on it between my real jobs, but here goes tonight's thrilling session:

After I put the crank halves back together, I masked off a few bits, and sprayed on a few light coats of rattle can paint...Ever press in a Shindaiwa piston pin? They are tight. So under the suggestion of Four Paws, I made a wrist pin press from a 3" clamp. I knocked the end off the clamp, swaged on a couple flat 5mm washers, and turned a spacer pin on the little Pratt & Whitney lathe.

IMG_20150319_172407-L.jpg

Said pin, now pressed in, with a new Shindaiwa piston kit - so all new OEM piston, wrist pin, circlips, wrist pin bearing, thrust washers and rings. All brandy spankin' new. Piston ring compressor? My fingers. They've always worked good enough. I deleted the base gasket, and wish I'd spent the time to take a little off the bottom of the jug or the crankcase base, but hey, it's just a work saw - my work saw. Hondabond HT seals the base of the jug now. Then, I reinstalled the exhaust studs with some locktite.

IMG_20150319_172308-L.jpg

IMG_20150319_172634-L.jpg

I did a muffler mod, dusted the can in the blaster, and sprayed on a new coat of VHT paint. And on went the muffler. These old 577's have a pretty decent muffler as it is, but there's always room for improvement.

IMG_20150319_173217-L.jpg

Time for more mechanic's fuel....

She's a Bute in her new red coat and her largely modded muffler. She's all dressed up and ready for the ball or wood that is.
She's all most ready for blue gas and some oil.
I'd like to see it run.:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

Still can't find the info I'm looking for as far as the actual squish band demensions... Bell's book is mostly bike/cart info. I'm guessing a 4-5mm wide band? Not sure how thick... Seeing as it's a flat piston I'm guessing no need to angle it toward the combustion chamber center(?).... I'm going with a hemispherical chamber with the plug in the center. Now the area between the center chamber and band should be tapered in towards the center I imagin right??? Some many questions :dumb2:

Latest posts

Back