Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockjock

Rockjock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Had a landscaping client call me and say that her saw would not start, she thought it was the choke or something so I said drop it off. Maybe an hour later she calls to ask what will I charge her to sharpen the chain. I told her 10 bucks ( dealer wants 15.00 ) so ok fine. When I got home there was a nice newish MS 261 in a case on my back deck.

11174826_1663656617195533_3739681336474492750_n.jpg

I clamp the saw in my vice and start to file the chain, but the file barely fits in-between the teeth. I check, yup right file, I touch the teeth and they are super super dull!! Hmmm I am thinking this is really odd... Pull the cord and little resistance.. OH WAIT decomp is pushed in.. All is saved..

10906331_1663656363862225_1721999157574297821_n.jpg

No.. No it is scored. I looked a bit deeper ....No oil in the oil reservoir, gas smelled funky and the chain super dull. I called and told her and she said oh ok. I will just buy a new saw, it was cutting so well then I really had to lean on it to cut then it just stopped. She then comes by with a brand new MS 291 20" bar and chain and sheepishly asked if she can have the case from the old one. I clean up the case and give her a spare chain I had 50% life left on it and away she goes. Now I have a 261 on the shelf. I will clean it up and price it at 750.00 and claim it is brand new never used !!! :rolleyes:

Brianlol

Brianlol

Do u see, chainsaws are not just for trees lol
Had a landscaping client call me and say that her saw would not start, she thought it was the choke or something so I said drop it off. Maybe an hour later she calls to ask what will I charge her to sharpen the chain. I told her 10 bucks ( dealer wants 15.00 ) so ok fine. When I got home there was a nice newish MS 261 in a case on my back deck.

11174826_1663656617195533_3739681336474492750_n.jpg

I clamp the saw in my vice and start to file the chain, but the file barely fits in-between the teeth. I check, yup right file, I touch the teeth and they are super super dull!! Hmmm I am thinking this is really odd... Pull the cord and little resistance.. OH WAIT decomp is pushed in.. All is saved..

10906331_1663656363862225_1721999157574297821_n.jpg

No.. No it is not scored. I looked a bit deeper ....No oil in the oil reservoir, gas smelled funky and the chain super dull. I called and told her and she said oh ok. I will just buy a new saw, it was cutting so well then I really had to lean on it to cut then it just stopped. She then comes by with a brand new MS 291 20" bar and chain and sheepishly asked if she can have the case from the old one. I clean up the case and give her a spare chain I had 50% life left on it and away she goes. Now I have a 261 on the shelf. I will clean it up and price it at 750.00 and claim it is brand new never used !!! :rolleyes:
That just suck Lolol new saw:dumb2:

HusqyStihl

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Can I ask how one can restore the finish on the plastics of a Stihl? I've got a 290 that I'd like to hybrid with to a 390 but the last owner seemed to have mowed his lawn with it and it's left with a dirty looking green and brown tint to it. No damage but it looks nasty and when I go to tear it down I'd like to complete it to showroom condition so to speak. Does it require sandblasting? Paint-over? Bleach? As you can tell, I haven't a clue lol

And sorry I'm way off subject, don't mean to high jack your thread...

treesmith

treesmith

tree hugger/cutter
Bench was busy at work this morning so I used the floor, replaced two lost muffler bolts on a new 3120, stud-locked this time, changed a brake band on a 201t and tuned a 660 after i stripped it last night and replaced diaphrams, vents and filter

HusqyStihl

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
I have had some success using polishing compound for automotive bumpers. I think acetone might be a little too harsh test it on the underside of the part.

I think I'll dilute it a bit first. Thought maybe watering it down but I think I'll try diluting with something else, just gotta figure it out first, don't need a meth-lab explosion happening.

Good point trying it on the bottom first, never thought of that. Props to you!

I cut like hell but a dirty saw really bothers me, I literally air blast the hell out of em and also thoroughly wipe them down between every fuel-up. As much as I like cutting, I cannot put away a dirty saw. It would drive me crazy. Even volunteering at my local saw shop and seeing customers bring in something that looks to be found at the bottom of a swamp then towed to the shop off the back of their hitch drawbar. It kills me! Lol

Latest posts