Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA Dan

PA Dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I also had my first experience with a blown flywheel-side seal assembly o-ring on my backup 1996 262. I thought it was just a carb adjustment it needed because I couldn't get the chain to stop turning at idle. Or maybe an old clutch spring. But when I turned it on its side when running and the rpm's changed, I knew I had bigger problems. I tore into it, did a pressure test and couldn't even get the gauge to move the leak was so bad. I finally discovered the o-ring under the flywheel seal cover was grossly leaking. I now know why I have heard people saying how nice the older metal seal covers are. This one had the white plastic version and it was REALLY warped. Fortunately I have some metal ones in the parts bin so I'll be putting that back together tomorrow with a new o-ring and crank seal.
Mine had the white plastic seal cover. It was warped so bad it leaked even with a new o ring. Duke Theiroff sent me a metal one and all is well!

Agrarian

Agrarian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I also had my first experience with a blown flywheel-side seal assembly o-ring on my backup 1996 262. I thought it was just a carb adjustment it needed because I couldn't get the chain to stop turning at idle. Or maybe an old clutch spring. But when I turned it on its side when running and the rpm's changed, I knew I had bigger problems. I tore into it, did a pressure test and couldn't even get the gauge to move the leak was so bad. I finally discovered the o-ring under the flywheel seal cover was grossly leaking. I now know why I have heard people saying how nice the older metal seal covers are. This one had the white plastic version and it was REALLY warped. Fortunately I have some metal ones in the parts bin so I'll be putting that back together tomorrow with a new o-ring and crank seal.

Well, I thought this was going to be a simple "swap with a metal seal holder" fix but it seems nothing is simple. I put the metal holder on with a new seal and new o-ring and pressure tested. Still leaking badly from the o-ring. Tried all kinds of things including another plastic holder and they all leaked at the o-ring. I finally figured out that the crank bearing was out too far and was preventing the seal holder from seating fully. I was able to slide a 0.005" feeler gauge between the holder and the crankcase when no oring was installed - it should have been flush. I took a deep-well socket about the size of the crank bearing and gave it a few good whacks. Now the seal holder sits flush and when put together, holds pressure and vacuum.

I found this odd because I have never done any bottom end work on this saw. It is actually the saw that first got me involved with the CAD afflicted people here when I decided I no longer wanted to be a one saw plan person.

Vizionary

Vizionary

Husqvarna
a8460e7d6e38d2b34c53fcbdbe7d3608.jpg

Damn, this one would be nice to put on my wall [emoji28]

Latest posts