Backpack Blower? Power Broom? Better than Raking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarethVW

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking to make my cleanup operation more efficient. I was looking at the Stihl power brooms and thought something like that might be the answer. Than I was seeing where people were saying that a backpack blower in conjunction with raking was a good way to speed up cleanup. What do you guys do that is faster than raking?

What are you cleaning up? Fallen leaves on grass or concrete?
For me fallen leaves on grass; still prefer rake and then the blower in reverse to suck and mulch it up quick! Blowing it goes everywhere. No control.
Also depends I guess on how big yr yard is !

We rake, then blow the fines. When you're raking, start at the back and work your way to the truck. Don't make little piles as you end up reraking areas. Rake in a way that when you're done, you don't have to rake that area again. When you get a bit of a pile of rakings, move to the truck with either a tarp or bucket.

If your groundies are standing around waiting for things to happen, have them do a coarse raking so there is less material to clean up. Better than having them stand there looking at their phones.

You can control material with a blower. If you watch how material moves, it moves in a fan shape. So start at one back corner and move your blower towards the centre. When you get the material to the centre, go to the other back corner and work back to the centre. If you advance in that pattern you have a very good control of material with the blower. Just don't to try and move too much material with it.

Unless there is a huge driveway or patio that needs cleaning, we typically just use a rake and broom. The blower tends to distract people too much.

I use a hand blower (Stihl BG85) on paved surfaces. In answer to the earlier question I am referring to cleaning up after dropping branches, or a tree, on a lawn.

I have never understood why companies run hand held blowers. Back pack is the only way to go.
Yep, backpack blowers in conjunction with a couple of workers on rakes, you cant go wrong. Ever since we got a backpack blower on our crew, we have been consistently been praised by our great clean-ups. Hell, I'll even spend an extra five minutes on the backpack and clean up areas of the yard where we didn't work. I swear our business has picked up and word of mouth has spread since spending a little extra time on clean-up. I mean, that's the first thing clients notice usually.

backpacks are also great to blow matted down grass where trucks or machinery have ran over lawns. I'm amazed sometimes it doesn't even look like we've been on the lawn at times. They're also great for a body cool down on 95 degree, humid days. Just click on the auto pilot button and clean and cool yourself off!

The big Husqvarna blower I don't remember the model but that thing moves some air!

Employees. Always seems like someone wants to jump on the blower before it's time.
I have seen that happen once or twice, standing there expecting everyone else to rake and put tools away while they let it idle on their back. Good point.

I have never understood why companies run hand held blowers. Back pack is the only way to go.

Why limit yourself? A backpack blower uses one hand. Fill your other hand with a handheld blower and see an immense change in efficiency.

The only people I have trained on this that don't prefer two blowers are the lazy slackers that think of the blower as their relaxation period.

Just mention to him that one man can do the work of two, and that the tree crew might not have to stand around as long waiting for the blower-baby to get done with the cleanup.

BTW: the best handheld blower I have found is the Stihl BG-85, if you can find one. I don't know about the BG-86.

Latest posts

Back