Backup Climbing saw rec

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masiman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,

I couldn't find any threads that addressed this. Plenty of threads talking about the 200T, 192T, 338xp, etc. I'm looking for your thoughts on a backup climber. I'm not pro, this is a ~2 weekends/month hobby for me. I've got my used 200T that had been working great as my climbing saw. After some events and lack of knowledge on my part I had to take it in to get it fixed. I was using it this weekend in a dead red oak when it started running very high rev with in idle. I thought it was even faster than lean but I could be wrong. My guess is I introduce an air leak, boot(?), when I needlessly took the handle off to replace the lower annular buffer. In any case, since I did not want to chase problems I am not sure how to fix, maybe even creating more problems lol, for the next month leaving me without my beloved 200T I took it in.

So now I start thinking that I am tired of spending all that time getting set up to do a removal and have a chainsaw failure. I think I am ready for a backup climber. My thoughts so far are the MS192T, MS180 or an echo. Husky is not out of the question I just don't own any or know their product line. I'd like to balance the cost and capability. I'm not interested in used unless I can find some lightly used <10 hour model. I'm frustrated enough having this saw go down even it was my fault, I want one that I don't have to touch except for fuel, oil, filter and chain. I could afford the 192T but I don't know if it is worth the extra ~$80 over the 180 or something else.

Thanks.

Last edited:
as a 'backup' any small saw will do...

i only recently picked up a 200t and in the past have used a variety of saws for the limited climbing work ive done... stihl 170 and 018, husky 36, 141, 353 and a zenoah(redmax) tophandle...

if it cuts wood and you can one-hand it without too much hassle, it will work as a backup climbing saw.

bang for buck wise, i like the stihl 018/180, its not a million miles away from a ms200(t) peformance wise, and easy enough to use and control with one hand if the need arises

This was just discussed at length in another thread still on the first page. I have a MS180 and an Echo CS-341. I just bought a 200T today and am still shopping for a 192T. I will be comparing them all and reporting back. LINK

This was just discussed at length in another thread still on the first page. I have a MS180 and an Echo CS-341. I just bought a 200T today and am still shopping for a 192T. I will be comparing them all and reporting back. LINK

That was one of the threads I was reading. I was getting a little lost on the number references. I thought some of the numbers were Echo's but I started to get the sense that they were Husky's. I also thought the thread was more centered on best climbing saw, bang for the buck primary saw, etc. I was interested to know if there were different thoughts on a backup saw. Hey, maybe even tell me to man up and find a decent used small saw :).

Thanks tree_co, I am leaning that way and thinking I should not let my desire for a decent pretty cool 192T stop me from saving some bucks for other things.

Keep it coming. I should have this saw bought within a week!

I have a little Echo top handle. Underpowered, but good value, dead reliable, no problems in 10+ years of maybe 5 hrs per year, a zillion start/cut/stop cycles and no problems. 12 bar is nice but 14 better balance.

husky 338xp

I use my 334t muff mod husky for my backup, and it has been a vary reliable saw so far. Not as powerful as the 338 or 200 but runs great..

(You also get to feel what saw feels better in your hand) brand wise;) ;)

I have the 200t with a 14" and the 192t with a 12". I use them both about the same. 200t for removals and 192t for trims. Don't underestimate the 192t, with the spark arrester out it has great power, it's been an excellent saw for me so far. I would recommend it for a backup.

We purchased an Echo CS-360t, and already had two 301's and a 341. The CS-360t and the 330t were designed to replace the old reed valve engine top handles.

Right out of the box the 360t was WAY too lean, and has a pretty restrictive catalyst type muffler. I found it to be way down on power, and in my opinion it would have smoked the jug/piston pretty quickly if we ran it without modifications.

Anyhow, with a simple muffler mod and carb adjustment, it came right around, plenty of power and rpm's, and so far dead solid in reliability, just like the other Echo saws that we own. It's very well suited to a 14" bar, it's just a tad heavier than the reed valve saws, but cuts WAY faster with more power at every rpm......Cliff

Back