Bailey's has had a data/security breach. Update!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice heads up

I have only ordered from them once...... November last year

Just changed my paypal and baylies paswords

Thanks for posting. Strange I have one debit card that flagged suspicious activity, and then another one call up a week or two later. The second one I only got to order a plumbing fixture and could not recall what else I might have done with it. The first one they caught it first time $120 or so on line purchace from some hair product place. The second one seemed like they had a card and were driving around for a while out on the town. Both Mastercard.

I had to go back to 7/24/2015 to find baileys on the hardly used card. It might be noted they do business the correct way. They charge the card when the item is shipped so it may result in multiple charges for one order and they break up the shipping charge not make individual separate charges.

Hate to hear this, I use Bailey's quite often. I just had to switch to Red Dawg boots due to my previous boot of 12 years turned to Chinese crap. Thanks for the heads up. No problems for me yet.

I check my activity pretty much on a daily basis, and my credit cards at least once a week, if not more.

I have credit cards alerts established so that I'm notified for any purchase over $50.00. Anytime I travel, I notify my credit card company so that they know what's going on.

A little vigilance (okay, a lot) goes a long ways to ward off fraud. ;)
Why not just use a LANDLINE, and order over the TELEPHONE? You are covered by Federal wiretap laws on that and won't get hacked.
My point above is that most of the times I have ordered the stuff comes in increments and they must somehow store all that is needed to charge the card unlike say the place I get husqvarna motorcycle parts from that has to call me up when the back ordered stuff comes in. The phone might not cure the underlying problem in this case.

My point above is that most of the times I have ordered the stuff comes in increments and they must somehow store all that is needed to charge the card unlike say the place I get husqvarna motorcycle parts from that has to call me up when the back ordered stuff comes in. The phone might not cure the underlying problem in this case.

You are correct. It was likely their entire database of purchases hacked. If you paid with credit card within their data storage cycle, I imagine you are at risk. Just my assumption, someone from bailey's may have a better explanation though if you are concerned

Well, went by the bank to get my canceled card reissued and I had several fraudulent attempted charges. The banker said I must have canceled my card right before this happened. I was outside the window, BEWARE!

Last week Discover notified me of a questionable charge. I went online and discovered several charges that I had not made. I had checked my account a week earlier and it was as it should have been. As soon as I found the fraudulent charges I called the Discover fraud unit. I advised them that the last time I made a transaction was last August when I made a balance transfer. I generally use only one card for each vendor that I do business with. That way if something is amiss it's easy to track it back. Going back a year, I only used the card at Newegg. Going back a year and a half, I used the card at Baileys. That was the last time I did business with Baileys. That is outside the window that they are giving, but now I see that other people had problems outside the window. One of the vendors called me to confirm an order. I advised them that it was fraudulent and asked them how they got my unlisted number. They told me that it was with the order. I realize that having an unlisted number nowadays is not that much of a problem for criminals with tech savvy, but this whole thing does not pass the smell test. This is larger than they are indicating.

RonL

This just happened to me yesterday. The bank went through all recent purchases or attempts to purchase. They try small amounts to see if the card works and then tried to pay a person in Tallahassee Florida $800+ and I am in Alaska. Im broke so that bounced and alerted the bank.

Yikes! Now I have to check my card statement that just came in the mail today. I had a fraudulent charge on Dec 25. I have a different card now but I better check...

Bailey's seems to think that the hacker just skimmed info. It is hard to say without more info but I am making a SWAG that the hacker may have gotten got access to some kind of past log of cards used for payment. Or cards saved on peoples accounts via stealing the passwords. Just wild guesses I can't prove...

Did you read the press release I linked to? That was right in the middle of the window, not I think the window has any thing do do with whether you your info got stolen or not.

This explains a lot for me. I had a $400 charge to my visa on walmart.com (US site). That worked out to $577 dollars canadian (nice exchange rate eh?). Anyways, as always Visa was awesome about it and I got my money back. They also tried to purchase something from Itunes, but with the card number already linked to my account that wouldnt work.

That being said, nothing against Bailey's. This kinda stuff happens all the time.

Same thing here, the perps tried to use it on Wally dot com, but got denied. CÇ company first texted & then called me Sunday morning with the news, and I had them shut it down.

Thanks again to the OP! Thieves & scammers are all cockroaches, and need to be limbed apart with a piped & ported saw.

Latest posts

Back