Bailey's has had a data/security breach. Update!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see why they do not want to notify their customers and set off alarm bells but guys are having their accounts attacked and many may not know yet that they have been affected, may not ever know. But they should stand up (its hard and takes courage) and do their dammed best to help their customers protect themselves. Not doing a thing as people get their accounts emptied shows what a swine the dill steering the ship really is. I'm not suggesting they pay monies to anyone who has been done over, just that they inform customers of what has happened to empower them to button down the hatches. This is what ANY reputable organisation does these days, they send an email to all their customers notifying them of the breach and offer suggested security recommendations for customers to take. They would know what happened when and what customers are potentially at risk. Keeping this info hush hush speaks a volume about their principles of doing business. Nothing I am saying will match the damage they are inflicting on themselves.

15,000 people will be notified next week. Every CC Company, Wells Fargo, the State Attorney Generals office in 40+ states, the Secret Service, FTC, the local Police Dept and some people I'm forgetting have been notified. And below is what is posted on the web site. It's been a busy 2 weeks.

http://www.baileysonline.com/pdf/databreach_info.pdf

I'm not even attempting to imply that it is sufficient, I can't win at that. But it's not a rug that we've swept it under. :)
No one is as unhappy about this as we are, I can guarantee that.

Bob
Bailey's C.O.O.

NOw...... I notices earlier someone posted that said the spent their days catchin the scum that does this nasty stuff.

Can they suggest any measures we should take to protest ourselves if we have not yet been attacked.

Should we be changing out credit card and account numbers?
Is Paypal enough to protect us?

What should people do?

Use services such as PayPal or visa checkout. It is another wall of security between them and your card info. Or you can buy those pre-paid visas at the grocery store and eat the fees.

The best info is to be vigilant with your card info, but also realize that credit card fraud is almost a regular occurrence. Check your bank statements regularly for purchases out of the ordinary. Visa and MC are very good to deal with in these kinds of cases.

I am saddened to see so many people losing faith in Baileys over this. It could have happened to anyone

I got a fraudulent charge on paypal once 3-4 years ago, $160 , contacted paypal and they refunded the money pretty quick but would not say anything about how it happened

I ordered from Bailey's within the date range and a fraudulent $125 charge was attempted on my business check card. Luckily my bank caught it and the charge was denied. But it was a pita while I waited for a new card.

NOw...... I notices earlier someone posted that said the spent their days catchin the scum that does this nasty stuff.

Can they suggest any measures we should take to protest ourselves if we have not yet been attacked.

Should we be changing out credit card and account numbers?
Is Paypal enough to protect us?

What should people do?
"catchin the scum" I read all so far and it was more like saving their entity from fraudulent charges
It is a problem for society to decide what to do with the people involved and seems the majority involved buy bogus stuff and use it until shut off.

"Can they suggest any measures we should take to protest ourselves if we have not yet been attacked."
Credit or debit card may make a difference. Hardly use the card then when activity starts you will get a phone call. If you choose to give them a bunch of personal information and talk they will shut your card off right there and remove the charges. If you don't choose to give them all of your info they in my case put a hold on the card and I called the bank on the phone when they opened.

"Should we be changing out credit card and account numbers?"
If you see Bailey's on your statement at least as far back as July, I would go farther for safety factor. I got a new card and left the account number alone.

Paypal and most likely others similar are tied into the underlying account to my debit card. I think they represent a way around some consumer protections so I use them as little as possible. I will read more discussion about it.

I deal with fraudsters all day long, we see a lot of activity involving freight forwarders in the Miami area. Based on how the orders look I would suspect the perps are in Central America or northern South America.

I get bombarded with orders where only the last 8 digits of the card number vary. While the card authorizes, there is a complete AVS (address) and CVV2 (security code/expiration date) failure. These are easy to spot and deep 6.

Other thieves are much better, they will have all the card data and in some cases actually have the cardholder's phone numbers. Harder to detect, but I am pretty adept.

Merchants that accept cards need to be PCI compliant. Card not present transactions present the greatest risk for merchants, we transmit what is termed Level 3 data to combat these dirtbags.

For kicks I will sometimes call the fraudster and toy with them. In most cases the orders are not shipping to the billing address on the card. When I ask them the color of the roof on the house at the billing address or how to get to Wally World, they stumble and expose themselves.

Others have gone to great lengths to try to convince me they are the cardholder including sending me fake drivers licenses and passports.

They got my number. Amex called me yesterday and said I had several fraudulent charges. I had to shut my card down.

Taken for over $400 from this. Just had to shut my bank card down.

They have an amazon store, maybe they should just route everything through there. They probably have the best security possible.

15,000 people will be notified next week. Every CC Company, Wells Fargo, the State Attorney Generals office in 40+ states, the Secret Service, FTC, the local Police Dept and some people I'm forgetting have been notified. And below is what is posted on the web site. It's been a busy 2 weeks.

http://www.baileysonline.com/pdf/databreach_info.pdf

I'm not even attempting to imply that it is sufficient, I can't win at that. But it's not a rug that we've swept it under. :)
No one is as unhappy about this as we are, I can guarantee that.

Bob
Bailey's C.O.O.

Bob, I am struggling to understand why people haven't been notified yet.

I have text alerts set-up anytime my credit card is used on-line. On Dec. 30, 2015 I was alerted of a charge to Glamour Hair LLC and immediately called and shut down my card. Coincidently, that day I had made my first purchase to a specific board sponsor and the only other charge that day was at Walgreen's. I used paypal for the board sponsor and couldn't figure out how I got hacked. After reading this, I did make one purchase at Bailey's last October and it is upsetting to learn of the breach from the fine members here and not from Bailey's. I am relieved that the other sponsor's site was not responsible because I like his stuff and was nervous to purchase more not knowing how it happened.

Used Baileys a while back with credit card, for pretty much everything else I use paypal. Anyway got a phone call over christmas from my bank, someone was banging through transfers from my credit card, first was $9,000AU or about $14,000US, then they tried $3,000AU and on from there. Thankfully the bank blocked most and refunded the rest. There's a lot of scum out there

Still no email about this. This is ludacris. Hopefully I don't need anything today as my account is locked and I have a $1 in my wallet.

If Wells Fargo knows, the 3 reps (one in fraud too) and a teller and branch manager I had to deal with to get everything sorted out hadn't been told.

Shoot when I mentioned Baileys they tough I was talking about booze.

My dealings with Bailey's ended a couple of years ago when they wanted to charge me $18 to ship 3 loops of chain. Cancelled my order and have not been back since.

I was notified by my bank this week that my visa card had been used fraudulently in Ireland and California for several thousand dollars. They shut it down and are sending me new cards. I did use that card at Baileys during the period mentioned in their letter (which I haven't received from Baileys).
I'm wondering if there's any point in telling my banks fraud department that Baileys may be the source where my card # was compromised, anybody know?

Still no email about this. This is ludacris. Hopefully I don't need anything today as my account is locked and I have a $1 in my wallet.
If you're hurting I could western union you a little bit. I would say PayPal, but that wouldn't work.

Latest posts

Back