baileys log rite build??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok baileys sells that log rite thing for moving logs and it almost seems to good for somebody like me who has to move logs by hand. but because the economy is needless to say in the can i havent a lot of money to invest into my small wood operation. i guess my questions are as follows:
1. can i build it without getting in trouble??
2. is there anybody out there built one before??
3. should i wait 6-7 months to put enough cash away to but it or...
4. have my old welding teacher build it for next to nothing??( he could make damn near anything so i am confident he could do a hell of a good job)
i would be most thankful for any advice.:cheers:
i got a quick sketch of how it could be done tell me what you think not pretty by any means
advancementmaybe.jpg

Last edited:
the difficult part about building this sort of thing is going to be creating the tongs to grab the wood. Getting the right taper to the tong points, the right angle to the way the points engage the wood, and having the tongs be strong enough to lift the wood will be a challenge. Unless of course you already have the tongs. Or you could make the handle and wheel portion and use a short oiece of chain with a grab hook instead of tongs.

If you do have a device made, I believe posting some pictures would be worthwhile.

I have both a Logrite Jr with an extension bar and a Mark 7 with an extension bar, tow ring and the tow tongue with winch. WOW, the time it save by allowing one person to do the almost impossible while not getting the wood dirty from dragging on the forest floor is worth it. Just the other day I cut a tree in tight canopy the hung almost immediately. I used the Jr to lift and pull the butt out allowing the whole tree to eventually lay down to the ground right where I needed it, just like in their video.
I got both at a discount from the manufacture so I'm happy.

If it were me I would be figuring a way to replace the tongs with choker chains....they would be so much more useful....AND CHEAPER.....

Had mine built

I was in the same boat, so I had a friend build mine. He even got it powder coated for me. All for a total of $350. He used 2" square for the whole thing. The wheels and hubs came from some old farm equipment for nothing. The mods that I have done to it are change out the hand winch to an electric (run off the ATV) and built a wooden box to go behind the winch to hold my stuff and saws.

Reed that is a pretty nice setup. I'm looking for something like that and have a friend that is a welding guru as well. Any chance you could provide more pictures on the construction? Would appreciate the opportunity to use your design as a starting point for mine. Thanks Jon

Sound the PPE sirens. Someone is asking for trouble sawing with his hand on the chain break like that. :greenchainsaw:
attachment.php

I was in the same boat, so I had a friend build mine. He even got it powder coated for me. All for a total of $350. He used 2" square for the whole thing. The wheels and hubs came from some old farm equipment for nothing. The mods that I have done to it are change out the hand winch to an electric (run off the ATV) and built a wooden box to go behind the winch to hold my stuff and saws.

that is a nice set up ill talk to my teacher when he comes back from the mines and see what he says. i just need something to wrangle these ridiculously heavy cottonwood trunks.

Back