Bandit 2550, Carlton 4012, Rayco RG 45.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamastumphumper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any one running one ? I have a 2250 bandit moving up to a rg 45, Carlton 4012, or bandit 2550 soon any help? / experience ? I tested a rg and Carlton

Bought a 08 Carlton 4012 last summer,it has a 33hp Kubota,4 wheel drive,scraper blade,Sandvic wheel,wireless and wired remote.Bought it with 420hrs.,is a great machine,plenty of power.

I bought a new 4012 about 3 years ago next month. I love the machine. no problems whatsoever. I got the 44hp diesel. I think it is well worth the money to move up to the 44hp. You need to buy all the hp you can afford right up front, plus, I believe the 4012 would be a little underpowered with just a 33hp on it.
Jeff

Yes i would op for the 44hp Kubota. I bought used from a private owner,low hours [420hrs],between the 33hp Kubota,Sandvic wheel,and wireless remote, makes it a great machine.I moved up from a Carlton 2500-4 with a 27hp Kolher with Green Teeth,which was also a good machine.The newer one is just a different class of machine,burns about the same amount of fuel about a one gallon a hour.Buy the way ,the 4 wheel drive and push blade is also a great option.

A year ago when I went from a 252 to a 4012 with a 44 I thought grinding might be a pleasure. It's not quite the big step up I thought it would be. If I could go back I would just keep sharp teeth on the 252 or spend more and get the 7012.

Gorman,i presume your talking about George at Shelter Tree in Attleboro Ma. He's good people,he told me the same,in fact he told me there's i think, 4k difference between the 33hp and 44hp version so when i saw a good 33hp version with high options and low hrs. i grabbed it.Coen i looked for months for a good used SP7015,people wanted big money for worn out ,oil leaking ,junks, so i decided to step back and pick up a more modern version of what i had.I have no regrets.Sp7015 is nice if you have use for it.

Yeah, I looked for a long time for a used 7015 before buying the new 4012. One of my sons (the patient one) does all the grinding. The thing he really loves over the 252 is the remote control.

Yes you have to be patient and have a plan to grind stumps at least around here. Do you have the Sandvic wheel? Does a great job,leaves most of the mess in the hole.The glacier wasn't good to us around,stones everywhere,very common to find/hit stones inbeded in the stump.

Yep, it has the Sandvic wheel and it's pretty rocky here to. Overall, I guess I'm satisfied with the 4012. The return on investment just doesn't seem to be where I wish it was.

Gorman,i presume your talking about George at Shelter Tree in Attleboro Ma. He's good people,he told me the same,in fact he told me there's i think, 4k difference between the 33hp and 44hp version so when i saw a good 33hp version with high options and low hrs. i grabbed it.Coen i looked for months for a good used SP7015,people wanted big money for worn out ,oil leaking ,junks, so i decided to step back and pick up a more modern version of what i had.I have no regrets.Sp7015 is nice if you have use for it.

George is the man. He has helped me out countless times whenever my piece of junk grinder broke. I was gonna pull the trigger on a new grinder last year but thankfully I didn't because I really didn't do much grinding. If I got a larger grinder I would opt for the sandvik wheel if not for the faster grinding but for the easier cleanup.

Why are none of you guys considering Vermeer? I personally, want to buy a stump grinder from someone who has their shop in my town. I have owned 4 stump grinders, nothing but vermeer. And let me tell u I have had some problems but they have never been anything but extreamly helpful and never left me without a loaner so I could keep working. That means a lot to me. Just my two cents

I feel like I went overboard on researching the 4012 before I bought it. I felt confident the machine was bulletproof and I really wasn't concerned about dealer support being a 5 hour drive. Right after buying it I started reading from people who were not happy with theirs. I wasn't very happy with a few minor things just after the sale. For example, they had just changed the way the teeth were set 45 degrees. The dealer sent me the wrong teeth twice and then headquarters ships me the wrong teeth. I was in a hurry to get them and I don't think any of them gave a rats ass. During this frustrating time, I thought I'll just call Revolution to get them. The person I talked to there had an interesting story. He basically said Carlton....... I better quit
Anyway, I wish I had something other then Carlton in my garage. When I look at it or think about this it, I just lie to myself; it makes it easier. The vermeer and the bandit reps I've dealt with are both very good.

Coen, I have never owned or even operated a Carlton. So I have nothing against them. I just can't stand the thought of support being a couple states away when we need help. That's why I buy vermeer. That and the fact they they have never been anything but GOOD to me.

I have a great mechanic and like I said, I thought I was buying something that was bulletproof. I regret that decision now. I just know that I could call my bandit rep tomorrow and he would do everything he could to make sure I'm takin care of. I feel like the carlton rep would be bothered that I called. This is not a comforting feeling.
Another thing about my Carlton purchase. The machine was delivered by truck. The salesman was going to bring his family to vacation near me the week that it was to be delivered and shoot over to my place to introduce himself and go over the machine. That didn't happen!! It didn't bother me too much at the time, but I sure know what to expect in the future.
The explanation I received about the change from the revolution wheel to the evolution wheel does nothing to improve my thoughts about the company. Just seems crooked.

Coen, I think u need to demo a 652 or 852. The speed and versatility is incredible. I don't know if ur in a position to trade, but I'm sure vermeer would be glad to demo it for you. It just must be a real bummer to go to work everyday with a piece of equipment you don't like. Sometimes you just have to chalk a mistake up to a valuable lesson learned. BTW I run a 852 and love it.

Back