Bar oil hole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtimm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever drilled their bar oil hole bigger? I've got a 20" Oregon Pro lite bar on my Dolmar 5100 and it seems to plug easy? Should I drill the hole out a little, or won't that work?

I had one of the Carlton bars and had to drill out the oil hole. I found out pretty quick that is was hardened steel and eat up a couple of bits to open it a little.

Mac

I've drilled out quite a few bars, used a 1/8 in bit. Just take it slow or you might break the bit.

The new Oregon bars are less than 1/8".

When I replace a bar, I measure the oil hole in the old bar and make the oil hole in the new bar the same.

So far, I have not come across one so hard as to ruin the drill bit. But I know my turn is coming.

Anyone ever drilled their bar oil hole bigger? I've got a 20" Oregon Pro lite bar on my Dolmar 5100 and it seems to plug easy? Should I drill the hole out a little, or won't that work?

Sounds like you need to sharpen your chain. Those little holes in the Oregon bars dont plug up that much with big chips but if your putting out sawdust they will.

Sounds like you need to sharpen your chain. Those little holes in the Oregon bars dont plug up that much with big chips but if your putting out sawdust they will.

Seems like a loose chain will assist with that too. I think the dust gets under the chain in the groove and the drive teeth can't clear it out because the chain is so loose.

Dull or loose chain is not the issue. The bar has plugged easily since new, not at all like my old Stihl 290. I'm gonna take the drill to it and see if it fixes he problem.

I run several of those bars and it's never been an issue, but the wood out here isn't dry so not much dust. I've always made a habit of cleaning the groove after use or when swapping chains.
Also I don't put a lot of hours in at anyone time.

The only saw I own that throws enough oil is my 1983 032 Stihl. I've been drilling out the oil holes on bars for years.

Where are you going to drill? The smallest passage is going to be between the rails and my math tells me a 1/8th drill ani't gonna fit in there.
May be i'm missin sumthin tho, I have had a few...

You drill on the outside of the bar where the oil hole in the bar matches the oil port slot on the bar mount of the saw.

You drill on the outside of the bar where the oil hole in the bar matches the oil port slot on the bar mount of the saw.

OIC, so the hole is in the wrong location? cause you can see half r better of the drive link tru that .150 or bigger hole???

Some new bars just have a small hole. It is not in the wrong location.

You are just making the existing hole larger. The hole just goes from the outside part of the bar part that contacts the oil port slot of your saw. This hole just goes into the chain slot not all the way through the bar.

Some new bars just have a small hole. It is not in the wrong location.

You are just making the existing hole larger. The hole just goes from the outside part of the bar part that contacts the oil port slot of your saw. This hole just goes into the chain slot not all the way through the bar.
see I did'nt know that cause the 2 that I just bought had the same size hole the OEM one on my Domar had. When you quit learnin yer dead.My bar the center section has no holes, its basically a solid piece the width of the guage. The sides are welded on and drilled for the oil passage.

Sorry to say so, but a lot of saw users have no idea what a really sharp chain is, and hit the ground without getting alerted....:givebeer:

Then they blame the issues they get on the manufacturers! :msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back