Bar oil pouring made easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I startd buying bar oil in bulk here is what I came up with.
I used this gas can, LABELED it well. Cut the spout down and fitted the clear plastic hose (that is epoxied in) into it and modifed this PVC cap to fit. The hose is 5/8"ID and 3/4"OD.
For the vent I used a 1/4X20 rivet nut with a cut down bolt and lock tight holding the wing nut in place. I also added a O-ring.

1224131657.jpg 1224131654.jpg

Attachments

• 1224131657.jpg
    1224131657.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
My hat's off to OP. He might improve the pouring a bit by just using a brad awl or sharp nail to make a small vent hole near the top of the jug, perhaps close to the handle. As it stands, I'm not sure how air is getting in there to smooth out the flow or "glub-glub". That vent would, of course, set up a small leak if the jug were tipped over by accident.

My dirt-cheap solution is to leave the gallon jug at home and keep filling up a quart bottle to take to the field. In one day, I seldom need more than a quart of bar oil per day. Regardless, it's kind if a PITA to keep filling up quarts.

I was going to post the same one as Mike. I bought it about 4yrs ago from Advance. I do keep the tubing on the spout when I'm not pouring. I pull it off to fill, and slip it back on when I'm done to keep junk out of the oil

My fifty cent solution.
pejuqana.jpg

I pour from the jug and hope the wind isn't blowing to bad most of the time I hit the spot.The holes in the foil looks to be a good idea if you use the jug just one time.I reuse a rectangle jug that fits into a oblong milk creat that I carry all the junk in when I'm in the woods.As for the spouts on the jugs I've broke them off before.My fault had the nice warm pac boots on, jug in the wrong place "crunch". Well that sucks mumble to my self.
But in the end all good ideas everyone has posted.

Great fix Ed, but I have a question why is b &c oil $10.00 a gallon ? Itasca for instance here in Maine ,..I just saw a jug for 10 bucks. Why so expensive? I bought a case at Sam's club a couple years ago for 6 bucks per gallon and I thought that was pretty high.

I too used to scoff at the idea, but after you've tried to fill a 346 with a gallon jug in suboptimal conditions (you're tired, it's freezing, it's super hot, etc), the ready to go tops from the auto parts store become a no brainer.

I have a spout like Mikefunaro posted. It has an adapter ring for the smaller 1 litre bottles ( 1 quart? ) but by far this is the best one I have ever found and used.

Gents this really IS the best way. No mess works every time auto fills never a drop loss. AND does the same with your mix.

Lots of great ideas here, I'm going to look for one of those blitz screw on funnels next time at wal mart too.

Me, I seem to use a few different methods but I really like one quart oil bottles in the winter since you can squeeze them. I seem to use a lot of gallon jugs in the summer but I try not to spend too much time cutting in the cold if I can help it.

Also, I overfill more than I'd like to admit or the best one is when you do not technically "overfill" but there is no room for the cap to go back on without squeezing some out. If I really goof off and get a good slug of oil I'll tip the saw so it runs on the bar and chain so I don't think I'm wasting any of it, LOL.

Back