bar oil walmart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno how Walmart is outside, but up here they carry quite a bit of local products. A good portion of the produce is from in state or WA/OR area.... tater's, broccoli, cabbage, apples, etc.

They have a whole section of "Alaska" stuff too for the tourists, most of that is made in state.

I usually shop at Walmart or Fred Meyers.

One of my friends had to do some comparsion shopping for some college class. Target had more overseas (China) stuff than Walmart, almost 2 to 1. Funny cause usually the rich folks go to Target, somehow thinking they have better products there just because it costs more.

The local saw shop has Pooland oil, they buy it at Walmart for $8/gal and they sell it at their store for $10/gal :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
The company i work for just had 3 55 gallon drums of Amsoil semi-synthetic bar oil delivered and i don't even care to know what they paid for it. The owners brother is a distributor so maybe he got a good price on it.

thought I had read recently about people using canola oil as an environmentally friendly alternative to dino-based bar oils? If so, that is available in huge quantities at various grocery stores.

they do, you can

I was stocking up on TSC bar oil whenever it went on sale, like 7 bucks or so a gallon, but coincidently with them losing Husky and going to Jonsered, all the consumables there, their store brand, has switched to "Countryline" brand, and it isn't a bargain/ no sales yet. It's close to ten bucks a gallon. I really don't know if it is the same oil or not.

My TSC has the 'Country Line' stuff..............but still stocks and sells the black bottle/red cap TSC brand oil. I hope they continue to do so...

My TSC has the 'Country Line' stuff..............but still stocks and sells the black bottle/red cap TSC brand oil. I hope they continue to do so...

Local rumor has it being that once the black bottle/red cap "supply time" is up it will only be the County Line products. I have not tried the CL products yet.

Another thing I found handy. 7 years ago I bought a quart of Bar & Chain Oil from Agway. I saved that container because it has a long neck and makes it easy to pour when I fill the saw. I fill the quart container from the gallon container, using the smaller container with the long neck avoids having to use a funnel to make a clean pour.

Then why not just use 30W engine oil?

I am not sold on the tacifiers they use in bar oil. I think that most bar lube has way more of the stuff that is actually needed.
How many years did they run saws without the tacifier?
I feel that in cold weather with the thick oil the bar and chain do not get enough lube until the oil heats up and thins it out. I feel that starving the bar and chain until the oil heats up it far worse then running thinner oil to start with.
I also feel that the tacifier plays a major roll in destroying the plastic oil pump drive gears in cold weather.
I have used waste synthetic air compressor oil for bar lube for a few years now. I see no difference in bar or chain wear. That compressor oil is thin. I also filter it and run it in my jeep with the Mercedes OM617 diesel in it. I just picked up another free 400 gal of it.
Look at it this way. Take any saw with straight oil in it. Run it wide open out of the wood, that faster then in the cut. Shut it off, pull the chain out of the bar groove at the bottom and you will see that the chain has oil on it everywhere, that all you need. Yes some will fly off of the end of the bar but it will still have plenty left on the bar and chain.
I would like to see the bar manufactures build an internal oil port that would feed to the front of the bar and exit the grove behind the sprocket tip, both top and bottom .

Later
Dan

Last edited:
^ I use the thinner oil in winter too. If it's below about 20* I'll usually bring the saw in the house and set it halfway close to the wood stove to warm up before going to cut. That's only to get the oil thinner. When the weather is over 60* or so, I use the straight Poulan Pro as it's not seemingly too thin when hot. Well, it at least is more stringy than the cheaper oil. I used old used motor oil a while in a few of my saws and even though the chains had oil, they sure seemed to wear the bar and chain substantially faster than when using bar oil.

Oh, I checked at walmart and it's still $7 or $8 here. <- I don't remember exactly because I was talking on the phone at the time.

I love oil threads.... I find it amaizing how much thought people put into oil...
For mix I run castrol super two stroke dino oil. Same stuff as the stihl white bottle, but $5 a quart. I just run 40:1 (or slightly oilier) to insure its oiled well. No ethanol.

Bar oil I run whatever is cheaper. Right now thats $13 a gallon red oil from the hardware store. Oil costs a lot here....

I think the gas and maintance is far more important than oil.....

It's not as sticky as bar oil. I used engine oil once when I had a few hours left of cutting and didn't have anymore bar oil with me. I got home and I looked almost like a coal miner from all the oil slinging off the chain onto me.

I do thin down bar oil with engine oil or diesel for winter use though. At -20* the regular bar oil won't flow, even the Stihl winter grade bar oil doesn't work well.

Then why not just use 30W engine oil?

It's not as sticky as bar oil. I used engine oil once when I had a few hours left of cutting and didn't have anymore bar oil with me. I got home and I looked almost like a coal miner from all the oil slinging off the chain onto me.

I do thin down bar oil with engine oil or diesel for winter use though. At -20* the regular bar oil won't flow, even the Stihl winter grade bar oil doesn't work well.

curious, any experience with canola oil at those temps? I haven't tossed any in the freezer to see how it performs at 15-20*, perhaps I will check the flow, see if there is any noticeable difference at that point? Or, maybe I could use the magic of the interwebs to find out if someone has already done that sort of testing?

I've never tried Canola Oil. I first heard about it just a few months ago. I think it's more expensive than bar oil or diesel though? I don't usually do the food shopping, have people for that. :msp_smile:

I've never tried Canola Oil. I first heard about it just a few months ago. I think it's more expensive than bar oil or diesel though? I don't usually do the food shopping, have people for that. :msp_smile:

recent check in Walmart (I hate that place! but sometimes they have what the local stores don't) 1 gallon of canola oil was $7.28, very fair against their SuperTech brand or the Poulan brand bar oil at $7.97 each.

I love oil threads.... I find it amaizing how much thought people put into oil...
For mix I run castrol super two stroke dino oil. Same stuff as the stihl white bottle, but $5 a quart. I just run 40:1 (or slightly oilier) to insure its oiled well. No ethanol.

Bar oil I run whatever is cheaper. Right now thats $13 a gallon red oil from the hardware store. Oil costs a lot here....

I think the gas and maintance is far more important than oil.....

If you have Lordco in your area, I got oil not too long ago for just over $9/ gallon including tax. I was told same price if you have an account or your friends or bosses or.......

Super Tech bar oil is nothing more than 30W oil. It has virtually no tacifiers in it. I gave away the couple gallons that I bought to try. TSC oil its far better.

You harp on Super Tech as being junk and nothing more than 30W oil. That's strange because my owners manual recommends 30W oil. I don't think there's a thing wrong with using Walmart Super Tech oil if that's what your owners manual calls for. At less than $8/gallon, I'll buy all I can get.

The local Walmart sells the green jug Poulan which is what I have been using for several years (I bought ALOT of it when they had a sale... like a pallet worth)

Not to get involved in the oil war here, but if your ever in a pinch, Home Depot sell the ECHO brand of bar oil. I find it is a very good oil that protects and oils as it should. I get it when it goes on sale. I keep a few extra gallons of bar oil in my garage in case of a freak storm comes into the North East. I hate having to buy things when I am in dire need at the time. I prefer to buy ahead of time. Just trying to help out.

Latest posts

Back