Bar Recommendations for 52E

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heffalump

Y'all Mofo's Need Jesus
Reaction score
I want to get a new bar for my 52E, but am a little overwhelmed by all the choices. @sawfun set it up with a 3/8 floating rim sprocket, and I definitely want to keep a 3/8 chain. He recommended Total, Tsumura, or Sugihara. These all seem like great choices, but I am reading about all sorts of issues with mounting, oiling, and declining quality. I want to go with an 18 or 20 inch lighter-weight pro bar. I also would like to avoid the need of the spacers.

Researching this site tells me that I need a K095 mount. Is that correct?

Recommendations?

Surprised no one has any opinions on this. Maybe I posted it at the wrong time of day. Giving it a bump.

Reading about the GB bars, they seem well liked. Left Coast Supply seems to have some decent prices on them. Any experience on how they compare?

K095 ("small Husky") is correct.

Tsumura and Sugihara both make excellent bars, but Sugihara also make some lesser ones (not sold in the US that I know). Total is rebranded Tsumura, at least those I know of.

GB make very good bars in Australia (not quite as good as those mentioned above, I believe), but they also have many bars made in China. Make sure it is an Aussie one, before you buy.

@sawfun : I got your text. Yeah, I really really like the Total/Tsumura bars as well. But holy cats are they a pretty penny! I really liked the look of the Sugihara, but I had read several posts on here about them not oiling correctly when used on the K095 mount saws. The GB seems to be well reviewed, looks nice, and comes at a good price. That seems like a good "entry level" bar for a part-time cutter like myself. Good tip about the Frostbite and the GB Titanium series.

@SawTroll : yeah, I saw the back and forth about GB bars point of manufacture. I very much appreciate the tip.

I guess it's time to give a call over to Left Coast Supply......

The K095/K041 Sugi oils fine it just leaks a little on the 500 series Husky saws with the captivated bar nuts but the little bit that leaks gets absorbed by saw dust so its not an issue at all.

Well, done and done. 20" GB Pro-Top coming with a carbide chain from Left Coast Supply. Seem like good people, and always like to support a sponsor. Seems like a decently reviewed setup. I'll save the high dollar bar/chain purchase for the next saw. ;)

Thanks to all for the inputs and help. I'll do up a review after I try it out.

The new bar and chain came in Tuesday. I changed out the crank seal on the flywheel side. I have a 3-jaw puller that worked perfectly on that side. I will need to make a tool for the clutch side, but I can do that later. More important was to test the new bar!

Saw2.jpg

You can see that it is a pretty good 49cc pasta maker. It does NOT like to be completely hard-buried into doug-fir, but it does do a fine job if proper pressure is applied. This is going to be a very fun saw.

Here is a pic of what I saw behind the flywheel crank seal.

IMG_00000271.jpg

Not sure if it is from sucking in nastiness, or just nasty build up. Meh. The saw is running great right now, and the bearings/crank showed no play. I guess I'll keep my eyes out for parts and get to it when I get to it.

In other news, I just ordered a Timberline Sharpener. We'll see how that goes.....

Many thanks, once again, to all for the input.

The K095/K041 Sugi oils fine it just leaks a little on the 500 series Husky saws with the captivated bar nuts but the little bit that leaks gets absorbed by saw dust so its not an issue at all.

Some have complained about that leak though - but not all small mount Sugi bars have that combination mount (AT mount), I understand (I'm not really sure).

52E is my favorite even thought it's not the lightest or best power. I run mine with an 18" 3/8 mainly because it balances out perfect but not quite enough snort for the hardwood I cut. Yours looks really clean, enjoy the old girl.

My final posting on this topic: The Timberline Sharpener came in this weekend. I ordered it with both a 7/32 cutter and an 11/64 cutter. I also ordered the 25/35 degree angle guides. I used it tonight for the first time. I agree that the learning curve is considerable for the first time use, but once I had it properly mounted to the saw I had the 20" chain sharpened well within 15 minutes. That included making additional passes just to see if the cutter would continue to remove material. It did not.

I tested it in a nasty green hemlock crown/knot, as well as a chunk of Doug fir. I am completely satisfied.

I know what my dad is getting for Christmas.....

:)

Back