Bar Wear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wismer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,

In the spring me and a buddy took a feller/skidder course have cut alot since then. I've noticed the "stihl" writing on my bar is long gone but his isnt. Why is that? Is it something i'm doing wrong? I don't know.

Anyways, any tips would be appreciated, especially if it means longer bar life

Thanks alot guys.

Craig

When he's running it he does. I call him up if i need some help with a job, but he doesnt have a woodlot or anything he just has for a cottage so to date he hasnt used it much... maybe... 100 hours?

Paint falling off a bar won't hurt it. I had a new GB that lost 1/4th of its paint the first day out. I am sure some manufactures do a better job of getting their paint to stick, but me, I take care of the bar and let the paint(chips, that is)fall where they may.

I flip the bar(after a few sharpenings) and grind the bar rails(when I notice and edge), but that is all the maintenance I have ever done. Only one bar has failed me in 25 years. Granted, I am not logging or using it every weekend, although I wish I could get out and start cutting(darn flooding!)

The only bars I have had that didn't lose paint are the bare metal Total bars.

Yea, thats what i kind of assumed. It's just cosmetic. I was just wondering. I flip the bar after every sharpening and grind the rails when i need to.

It's flooding here too, just had 75% of the snow melt in the past couple days. Alot of big puddles out there. I want it to freeze up or dry up so i can get back out there.

Well, now no one can no you were retarded when you went out and bought a stihl. :chainsaw:
A new Husky zealot. Maybe you could make an actual contribution besides amusing yourself slamming Stihl with no specific details.4 out of 5 posts say stihl sucks yet no specifics. If you want respect settle down and discuss issues not brand idealogy.

Last edited:
A new Husky zealot. Maybe you could make an actual contribution besides amusing yourself slamming Stihl with no specific details.4 out of 5 posts say stihl sucks yet no specifics. If you want respect settle down and discuss issues not brand idealogy.

adda boy bks

yea i may prefer stihl over husky dolmar etc etc but im not gona go around ragging on husky fans....

if you've had a problem with stihl or just dont like them, thats acceptable.. but it doesnt mean all stihls are crap.

We like our saws you like yours alright?

He is starved for attention... typical troll. Even negative attention is still attention... so he will continue to ruffle feathers to receive it.

Either a 12 year old kid... or a dead beat with no life.:bang:

Gary

He is starved for attention... typical troll. Even negative attention is still attention... so he will continue to ruffle feathers to receive it.

Either a 12 year old kid... or a dead beat with no life.:bang:

Gary

I'm betting on its being ole sap back.
-Ralph

OK...Here is the run down.....When you have a brand spankin' new bar,it will only stay pretty as long as you let it.....Stihl's have sealed sprokets at the tips,so they don't need grease....90% of paint wears off of bars because they are run a little dull,and get hot...As the saw passes throung the wood,It takes a little paint with it when the thing is too hot...I'm not talking about so dull it hardly cuts,just a little off from a perfect edge will do it..The rest wears off from everyday use....It's no big deal,just keep your rails smooth,and make sure the drive teeth of your chain are always snug in the bar,without too much side to side movement.

paint on the bar thats worn off just shows that you actually use your saw and your friend probably doesn't use his much or uses it lighter than you i have worn all the paint off of some bars thats just the nature of the beast and im sure almost everyone on here owns a saw that has some paint worn here and there or some fadded plastic and or scratches no big deal imo makes your saws recognisable and unique

yahoo..

yea my bars all lost their writing and paint

my saws usually run pretty hot too

Paint wear on bars

I've got a couple of Oregon bars on my 488's. One is holding up better than the other even though it has had more use. I picked up a couple of Husky branded Oregon bars from Bailey's and the paint goes away fast on those. If it's anything like the paper industry, it depends on the operator running the show. Some you get a dirty finger and other you can't flush.

Yea, thats what i kind of assumed. It's just cosmetic. I was just wondering. I flip the bar after every sharpening and grind the rails when i need to. ...

The paint on German made Stihl bars seem to stick a good bit better than the paint on most other bars - and Stihl has sold some bars that are not the "real thing" in NA.

Cutting dry wood will also wear the paint off faster than cutting fresh wood, etc etc..........

Back