Bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejdman04

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering what bars you guys prefer. Im not talking about the local pub either. I did a search and didnt find a real direct topic like this. I realize this is like asking the ford/dodge/chevy and the Dolmar Husqvarna/Jonsered
stihl question but what brand do you guys run and why? Do you run genuine stihl bars on your stihls? I run quite a bit of Carlton bars, a few stihls if I can get them on sale

Last edited:
I have one Cannon 5 Sihls and 2 Oregon's they all have their pluses and minuses. Cannon high quality long wear and strong but heavy and expensive Stihl high quality but cheaper than Cannon and little liter. Oregon powermatch doesnt wear as long not as strong but much cheaper I would call it the value bar.

I like the GB bars but only have 1. All of my stihls wear stihl bars.:greenchainsaw:

I like the Stihl ES and E bars.

Have a GB Ti bar in 24" and one in 32". They are okay, but not my #1 preference due to pitting along the rails.

I have some pics of that pitting somewhere on here. I'll try to dig them up.

I guess there was only one pic.

You can see a pit on the 12 O'Clock of the nose.

attachment.php

3 stihl and 2 oregon bars, a few dozen stihl chains and 4 oregon chains and my uncle is getting me a full skip full chisel stihl chain for me for my 066 for christmas. i too run stihl oil after running it there is no other oils out there in my opinion.

All I run is oregon reduced weight...28-36"

My bad I have a couple 42" power match's also

Last edited:
Cannon bars are GREAT!!! Unless you have to buy them:jawdrop:

I think price wise the Stihl ES bar is the best thing made.
Next would be the GB Titanium. But I have heard the price went up quite a bit?
The GB Pro-top bars are ok, but don't wear near as long.
I'll never own another Oregon bar if I can help it!!!

And given the choice, Harry's Uptown bar and grill is my first choice:cheers:

Anyone ever tried "forester Pro series" I see selling on ebay??? Ive never tried that brand, the seller says its great but that doesnt mean much to me

I use the stock bars up and then move on to windsor bars. I am toying with the idea of GB pro top bars on sale at a AS vendors site. My 372xp came with a oregon power bar. I am not to happy with it at this point. I made a impulse buy on a oregon laser tip hard nose bar. It has held up better then the other oregon bar so far! :cheers:

I guess there was only one pic.

You can see a pit on the 12 O'Clock of the nose.

attachment.php

Howdy,
The pitting (flaking) along the bar or tip rail usually occurs because the rail has gotten a raised lip from wear. If the lip isn't dressed back to square, due to hardness, any impact will usually cause a flake or chip to occur.
Gregg

Howdy,
The pitting (flaking) along the bar or tip rail usually occurs because the rail has gotten a raised lip from wear. If the lip isn't dressed back to square, due to hardness, any impact will usually cause a flake or chip to occur.
Gregg

Hey Gregg, who makes the Carlton bars with the Oregon style tip? Is it Oregon? Any word if you will be getting more of the Tsumara style bars?

I have one Cannon 5 Sihls and 2 Oregon's they all have their pluses and minuses. Cannon high quality long wear and strong but heavy and expensive Stihl high quality but cheaper than Cannon and little liter. Oregon powermatch doesnt wear as long not as strong but much cheaper I would call it the value bar.

+1. I have maybe 20 bars. I like Cannon for the 50+, ES for Stihls because great quality and I can get them for almost the same as Oregon PM, and for every thing else I typically run the Oregon bars as they are a good bargain.

Have a few Caltons and they are okay...

With a properly lubing saw and a sharp chain bars last a lot of chains. Dull chains create heat which trashes bars.

Last edited:
Original Stihl bars are the best I have used, but that is reflected in the price.....

Oregons are perfectly OK for an occational user like me, as are the Norway made Husky bars.

For 20" and shorter I prefere laminated bars, as they are lighter and make the saw more nimble.

Back