Beating the heat!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas heat is insane…when you have misters that line the streets, and stay running at night, you know you’re in trouble…lol
u r right! VF. in fact, this morning the news has a bit on keeping not you, me or.... cool, but the a/c unit! :wtf: :rolleyes: and had mister system for the unit! but, imo, waste of $! suggested not to do it too often, more like once a week! i guess the compressor don't get hot on other days! lol. if anyone in the viewing audience belived that, they mite think a glass of water once a week is sufficient! ~ :rolleyes:

but, i think they did cover their.... and said, actually, if u need a mister for compressor prob another problem! as it is designed to handle high heat of operation! compression creates heat!

Carpet guy I know, will never be the same, Heat Stroke so bad he has brain damage......

I personally- barely able to drive home with one eye open after a hard day- maybe seven hours worth of working in and out of the Bobcat Skidder, landscaping in 100* heat, and that was 45 minutes at a time, with 15 minutes in the river ever hour for the entire crew.

I'm wearing long sleeve dri fit shirts now to keep the sun off the skin, (skin cancer is already a problem for me) and a straw hat as much as possible. Even using my golf umbrella on my cart between throws or waiting on the other players.

SInce I wear contacts, if I am using chainsaws or pruning/trimming, when i get sweat AND sawdust or pollen, I'm having to wash my face down alot. lowering my body temp by soaking my head helps. The cooling towels I can put under a hat helps.

For me, a hat holds heat in, makes my head real hot, so I get under the umbrella as much as possible and take the hat off.
oic. at first, i thot Carpetguy was name of an AS member!!! :dumb:

I'm wearing long sleeve dri fit shirts now to keep the sun off the skin, (skin cancer is already a problem for me) and a straw hat as much as possible. Even using my golf umbrella on my cart between throws or waiting on the other players.
good tip! i do when in tractor or mower. white. gets sweaty wet at first, then settles down as the breeze, wind and/or some motion blows across and the drying cools. i should do it more than i actually do. when its hot and i think about it, i can let it slide... as all the equipment is in motion and i am working...

good tip! :yes:

u r right! VF. in fact, this morning the news has a bit on keeping not you, me or.... cool, but the a/c unit! :wtf: :rolleyes: and had mister system for the unit! but, imo, waste of $! suggested not to do it too often, more like once a week! i guess the compressor don't get hot on other days! lol. if anyone in the viewing audience belived that, they mite think a glass of water once a week is sufficient! ~ :rolleyes:

but, i think they did cover their.... and said, actually, if u need a mister for compressor prob another problem! as it is designed to handle high heat of operation! compression creates heat!
Between Dallas and Phoenix, it’s a struggle to say whose heat is worse..lol

the a/c misters work!! They are for hot low humidity days where there isn’t enough water vapor in the air to facilitate the heat transfer. Pay attention to your chest freezers, they’ll run forever on hot low humidity days.

I see our heat that we get here in Aus, which other parts of the world seem to be experiencing lately, and they are not used to it, the same as the cold I see in other parts of the world.

When its really cold, people just dont go out or do things unless absolutely necessary, and even then under extreme care with the required things needed.
Its the same with the heat, on very hot days, you just dont go out, travel, the roads melt, and tyres can fail when its over 45c, and if you do go out, its with extreme care etc.
I guess its what you get used to, its happened before, dosent always happen, but it has got cold, and gotten hot before, and it will do so again.

take care in the heat, its not to be taken lightly, just like going out in the cold.
seeing Heat Waves can be cool!
1658934413273.png

but Springsteen tickets at $5,000.00 ea - not cool!! ~

the a/c misters work!! They are for hot low humidity days where there isn’t enough water vapor in the air to facilitate the heat transfer. Pay attention to your chest freezers, they’ll run forever on hot low humidity days.
lol, maybe so, but down here... rarely, if never... do we see hot summers that at not hot humid summers! :popcorn2:

hi PEK - i bet it was hotter than... around those big boilers....

'nope! no a/c down here. your job is to be right here, next to this unit. careful, it gets hot!'

View attachment 1005929
Hi, yes very hot there were 6 boilers I think they were called iwells or something similar. When we had all pig back fat in when the boiler was opened we would get the crackling and grind the salt tablets on them, fantastic. It has been 36c to 43 c here for the past couple of weeks the wife at night puts a hot water bottle which she has had in the freezer all day in the bed.

I see our heat that we get here in Aus, which other parts of the world seem to be experiencing lately, and they are not used to it, the same as the cold I see in other parts of the world.

When its really cold, people just dont go out or do things unless absolutely necessary, and even then under extreme care with the required things needed.
Its the same with the heat, on very hot days, you just dont go out, travel, the roads melt, and tyres can fail when its over 45c, and if you do go out, its with extreme care etc.
I guess its what you get used to, its happened before, dosent always happen, but it has got cold, and gotten hot before, and it will do so again.

take care in the heat, its not to be taken lightly, just like going out in the cold.
my lawn suffered from the extreme freeze we had here couple years ago. it has done some good recovery in some tuff areas. now this heat has ruined it again! other day i was walking across an area of it...

'crunch... crunch... crunch!'

if it was taller, i mite could make square bales out of it.... :cool:

hay bale making in back yard lawn... lol
1658935056591.png

Hi, yes very hot there were 6 boilers I think they were called iwells or something similar. When we had all pig back fat in when the boiler was opened we would get the crackling and grind the salt tablets on them, fantastic. It has been 36c to 43 c here for the past couple of weeks the wife at night puts a hot water bottle which she has had in the freezer all day in the bed.
hi PEK: i am still learning those C's lol :rolleyes: but have learned anything 40C and higher.... h o t !

hi PEK: i am still learning those C's lol :rolleyes: but have learned anything 40C and higher.... h o t !
We are lucky at night the temperature is not too bad, hopefully tonight a storm and a bit of rain. Our house here was built during communism cool in the heat and keeps the warmth in in the winter. My man cave and tool store is the cellar under the house, cool this time of year and warm in the winter, that reminds me I have got a couple of chains the gypsys dropped off to sharpen, I will not take cash off them but they bring me 2 litre bottles of my favorite beer Kamenitsa for each chain, perfect this weather.

I think it’s a little better here because we have a lot higher humidity

I am not a spring chicken anymore,and if I can just take it somewhat easy on the hottest days I will.I do drink about 3 quarts of Gatorade ,with several 16oz bottles of water mixed in throughout the day.I will also eat several cups of blueberries throughout the day.Good for potassium.As far as feeling cooler,nothing feels better than a light breeze blowing on a sweat soaked shirt.Hurry up fall,we need you.

On hot days it’s best to keep your meals light, meaning don’t over eat. A good diet rich in micro nutrients will go a long way. Salt is your friend up to a certain point of course. Potassium and sodium are really important when it’s hot. Drink when your thirsty, don’t over do it though. The more you drink the more you deplete your minerals. Everyone I work with complains about the heat where I just keep chugging along. Never really had a problem with it. It’s over 90F here in the PNW at the moment.

Latest posts

Back