Beating the heat!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pace yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. When I was younger, I could run balls to the wall 12 hrs or more per day, every day with no problem which was great for working construction. By the time I hit my mid 30's, I'd been working in factories over a decade so when I'd start a construction job and try to go at my old speed, I'd burn out hard after about 5 or 6 hours. An older friend worked with me on a roof one weekend and changed my perspective and he was right. This past Saturday was a real scorcher here in Indiana. I spent all day (12 hrs) milling a 10' oak log in half (just under 60") and getting the halves winched up on my trailer to haul to the mill. I ran through over 2.5 gal of fuel through my G660 running a 42" bar. After every tank, I sat on the tail gate and took a 10 min break and normally drank a bottle of water. Sharpened the chain every other refill. Drank over 1.5 gal of water and didn't have to take a pee until late Sunday morning. I was a little stiff when I woke up on Sunday, but could have easily gone out and continued working if I had needed to.

I was watering mine glad we got some rain
we got some yesterday! maybe 4 drops, if that. dark clouds, plenty of noise... and winds. big reds on tv weather maps... storms going this way and that way... and totally missed giving my area any rains! :nofunny:

imo, almost seems a mute point now. lawns so bad shape...

how bad is it where i am?? well... yesterday i watered around my homes foundation....
:drinkingcoffee:

I am not a spring chicken anymore,and if I can just take it somewhat easy on the hottest days I will.I do drink about 3 quarts of Gatorade ,with several 16oz bottles of water mixed in throughout the day.I will also eat several cups of blueberries throughout the day.Good for potassium.As far as feeling cooler,nothing feels better than a light breeze blowing on a sweat soaked shirt.Hurry up fall,we need you.
true! don't think i have ever had cold watermelon and not felt cooler ~

On hot days it’s best to keep your meals light, meaning don’t over eat. A good diet rich in micro nutrients will go a long way. Salt is your friend up to a certain point of course. Potassium and sodium are really important when it’s hot. Drink when your thirsty, don’t over do it though. The more you drink the more you deplete your minerals. Everyone I work with complains about the heat where I just keep chugging along. Never really had a problem with it. It’s over 90F here in the PNW at the moment.
hi bd ~ how's PNW treating you? i am from Seattle. saw the high temps there on tv weather other nite. i do miss those times during summer, high in the Cascades with weather down here like that!
1659018583259.png

Pace yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. When I was younger, I could run balls to the wall 12 hrs or more per day, every day with no problem which was great for working construction. By the time I hit my mid 30's, I'd been working in factories over a decade so when I'd start a construction job and try to go at my old speed, I'd burn out hard after about 5 or 6 hours. An older friend worked with me on a roof one weekend and changed my perspective and he was right. This past Saturday was a real scorcher here in Indiana. I spent all day (12 hrs) milling a 10' oak log in half (just under 60") and getting the halves winched up on my trailer to haul to the mill. I ran through over 2.5 gal of fuel through my G660 running a 42" bar. After every tank, I sat on the tail gate and took a 10 min break and normally drank a bottle of water. Sharpened the chain every other refill. Drank over 1.5 gal of water and didn't have to take a pee until late Sunday morning. I was a little stiff when I woke up on Sunday, but could have easily gone out and continued working if I had needed to.
some times when i am drinking to refresh and also hydrate, too... i will drink my fill, then drink some more, too! especially, when running equipment up at the ranch ~

hi bd ~ how's PNW treating you? i am from Seattle. saw the high temps there on tv weather other nite. i do miss those times during summer, high in the Cascades with weather down here like that!
View attachment 1006095
All things considered it’s been pretty good here. It’s “hot” but really not that bad. I love the PNW I’m originally from Westlake Village CA.

All things considered it’s been pretty good here. It’s “hot” but really not that bad. I love the PNW I’m originally from Westlake Village CA.
i left the PNW during the VN era... after UofW. USMC calling me to go bounce on carriers! i left, but the PNW never left me! :) i am one of those rare Texans these days... that likes salmon better than beef!

having live in E, Central and Western WA... a Washington boy at :heart:

take care, stay cool ! ~

i left the PNW during the VN era... after UofW. USMC calling me to go bounce on carriers! i left, but the PNW never left me! :) i am one of those rare Texans these days... that likes salmon better than beef!

take care, stay cool ! ~
Oh I love me some salmon! Nothing like a nice filet fresh out of the water. Certainly wouldn’t turn down a nice steak though. Have a wonderful day sir and thank you for serving this great country.

I just looked some of those powders/tablets prices, pretty expensive.

The mixture I make up with Tang costs about $7-8 to make 3 gallons.

I remember working on a farm as a teenager, baling hay in this kind of weather/heat. Worst part was stacking the bales inside the barn/hay mall.
Roger that on the hay. As a teenager I always got the hayrack stacking job behind the baler because I was tall, same reason I unloaded at the barn on the elevator. The short guys got to stack in the barn and used to yell at me for loading the elevator with the bales almost touching because they got no break😁

Agree with rhe hydration advice, also STOP and get in the shade if you're feeling bad. I've had heat exhaustion too and it's a super bad feeling, has affected my heat tolerance ever since.

On the salt tablets, we were encouraged to take them during late summer preseason football practice but they always made me feel worse and learned later that they are now not recommended. Back then was pre Gatorade though and you were just supposed to "tough it out", water breaks were given but we were monitored so we didn't drink too much. Things have changed, I'm sure! Oh, and if you got knocked out in a game just smelling salts and as soon as you could tell the coach what the score was and which quarter (without looking) you were good to go back on the field.

Just stop being a ***** and suck it up. Maybe pace yourself a bit. Don’t drink too much water. it’s not like momma’s tit, not going to save you from being a *****. Suck it up, be a man. You’ll survive.

I like

take care, stay cool ! ~
I like salmon too But you obviously haven’t been to killer’s steak house

Back