Beating the heat!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or we could always max out our credit and buy brand new air conditioned equipment to keep our pretty selves cool.

good luck with sucking it up and getting heat stroke and dehydration you big man.

Or we could always max out our credit and buy brand new air conditioned equipment to keep our pretty selves cool.

good luck with sucking it up and getting heat stroke and dehydration you big man.

See, that’s one of the things that I actually like about the tree business, seeing the different ways people go about things, the seemingly endless combinations of equipment, etc.

You see my situation one way, but you’re only seeing the small picture, what’s right in front of your nose. I’m thinking more long term and seeing a bigger, different picture. To each their own.

Have a Fresca and chill, bro, we’re all good. I just couldn’t resist a little heat stroke thread jab. I’ve been doing trees full time for 32 years now (including 13 months in the sub tropics), never had heat stroke once, and don’t sit around emptying the cooler eating melon balls all day like some people, that’s all. I don’t get it, I got a 21 year old kid that walks across the yard and needs a water break. I buy two bags of ice and one of those big packs of water bottles everyday just so I can have a water on occasion myself. I guess that’s what set me off. Kinda pisses me off.

As I noted earlier. In my area we have had zero to complain out as related to heat. Well that was last week. On Friday July 29th I looked the forecast for this week and my jaw dropped. The had us predicted to be 101 on Wednesday and hot as heck for and aft. Well over the weekend I decided not to mow the yard as it is sandy soil and if it was going to be hot an dry that would burn it up. Well that was a dumb decision. It has been cool and wet most of the week. Guess what the yard looks like now,........ The other kicker is Saturday is predicted to be a scorcher and my dumb rear now has to mow two weeks of growth

I make my own hydration mixture:

1 tsp lite salt (KCl)

2 tsp baking soda

1.5 tsp table salt

1/2 the recommended amount of Tang drink mix to make a gallon mix

Dissolve the above in 1 gallon of water.

I make up a few gallons at night and put them in the fridge.

The baking soda (raises pH) and the sugar in the Tang, help your body absorb the electrolytes and water.

The Tang also has other ingredients: citric acid, ascorbic acid, and calcium and phosphorous........among other things

I used to just use sugar instead of the Tang, but then it just tastes like sweet salty water.
I get several LBS of banana and let them ripen a bit puree them with Tang. I add plenty of water to the mixture and freeze. Wrap the jugs with a sweat shirt and take them where I go. I avoid eating lunch but drink the smoothie instead. If I am climbing I hoist a jug up to me because it takes forever for me to go up and down a tree. Thanks

Wrangler makes wicking work shirts that have worked well enough for me. The heat must be in other parts of the country, but Indiana had a lower than average amount of days in the 90s for July. August isn't starting out too bad, rest of this week is said to be in the 70s. Currently, the humidity will kill anything, it's bad enough the camper is barely tolerable in the shade without A/C. As for working outside, I just drink plenty of Gatorade for hydration along with water while at work. If you have problems with fruit flavors tearing up your stomach, Gatorade now has a glacier ice flavor, or something along those lines, that I drink due to being almost non-acidic. If it weren't for the acidity causing stomach issues, I'd just make up a watered down version of switchel (haymaker's punch) and drink that!

............. The heat must be in other parts of the country, but Indiana had a lower than average amount of days in the 90s for July. August isn't starting out too bad, rest of this week is said to be in the 70s.....

Same here along the Iowa/Illinois border. We have ZERO to complain about in regards to heat.

Back