Becoming a Fan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
First and foremost, Husqvarna is my favorite brand I think mostly to be different from everybody else I know. I was raised around Stihl, it's all my dad has ever had, but since messing with older saws, I've really become a fan of Jonsered and Echo. Two brands that I always thought were subpar have really been impressing me.

Now my experience is with only one Jonsereds, but it's an older one, and that thing just runs. After sitting for years in some guys barn, I bring it home, and just a few pulls and it fires right up. Sounds great, and is smooth. It's just an all around nice saw.

Then from the same guy I get a few Echos. I was always told Echos were junk, chinese crap. So I never really gave them any attention. Well same thing, those Echos just run and run great. They are a little odd looking, but they just plain work. And obviously I have learned they are Japanese quality, not chinese garbage.

I liked the Echo so much that I got one for my anniversary and whereas I used to ignore the ads for them on Craigslist, now I seek them out.

If anything, Jonsered and Echo have bumped Stihl down to 4th on my list. Sure my sample size is small, but I am just amazed at how well they work for as little care as they have received.

IMO they are are all great saws. I do not discriminate... to much. There are things all the brands do that impress me and things they all do that i dont like.

My personal top favorite is Husky. But i really want a nice stihl to balance my very small collection

Husqvarna
385XP
3120XP
Makita 6100
Homlite XL
Remington mighty mite

I need a Stihl, j-red and possibly ....an echo to have a well rounded small selection.

So......i do not discriminate. Those that do are plan silly IMO.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Most of the major brands have their stars and their dogs, would need specific model numbers to really form an opinion of what you're running.
Well you can see the ones in my signature. Obviously they are not all pro saws, but I have honestly been disappointed in most of the Stihls I own.

I have two old well used Stihl (026 and 038) and the bores and pistons look great after 30 years and who know how many hours. The air filter systems clean well without leaks. They're easy to take apart and work on.

I just purchased an older Husqvarna. I have to say it's also a great saw.

I have a hard time thinking any saw will replace my 026 in the 50cc 16" bar category. It just runs and cuts so well.

I do only Stihls, but that's because I got into this thing late and wanted to keep the learning curve reasonable (hence, one brand). I have an Echo backpack blower and brush cutter which have been flawless. I knew Stihls because my farmer grampaw said they were the best, no question. He died nearly 30 years ago and in his day I think he was right. But things change with time, and I don't think there is a best brand nowadays. As said earlier:

Most of the major brands have their stars and their dogs, would need specific model numbers to really form an opinion of what you're running.

This is so true. And @Freudianfloyd , yours are dogs, except the 009 can be a good saw, at least it was in its day.

The point of my post wasnt to bash Stihl, it was to say how much I like these old Echos and this old Jonsereds.

Well you can see the ones in my signature. Obviously they are not all pro saws, but I have honestly been disappointed in most of the Stihls I own.

I was on my phone when I replied and don't see the signatures, now that I'm on my computer I can see where you're coming from.
It would be pretty difficult to draw meaningful brand comparisons based solely on your current lineup...

That might be the first time I've heard someone praise the "0" saws filtration.

If any of you are wanting a Stihl that will impress, that 064 in the post right now is a great deal.

Also a fella is selling a couple newer Jonsereds:innocent:

Again, I'm not knocking Stihl, and the ones I'm my signature aren't the only Stihls I have used, I was just saying how much I am liking the Echos and Jonsereds. Seems people on here only want to bash my Stihl collection for some reason.

I think for me it was that Stihl and Husqvarna are the "big" brands world wide, and so if you don't know any better that's all you will consider if you want to be certain you get a good saw.
You just consider anything else than that to be like "second best", I guess that's what made my Echo make such a great impression because the expectations was perhaps more moderate.
I think that could work both ways too because if you spend a fortune on a Stihl or Husqvarna your expectations are that it is the best saw in the world, and it makes it easy to get disappointed.

I just like to work on saws and I’ll pick up just about any brand except for of course the modern crap from Craftsman, Homelite, Poulan, etc. I also avoid the newer Husky and Jonsered homeowner saws.

Once I complete a saw it usually gets drained and then added to the collection. However, most of my Echos get used for cutting firewood and maintaining my property. The only exception is a Sachs Dolmar 110 but I also have a 115 that I plan to use as well.

For me, the Echos have been very reliable. They’re also fun to work on, have good parts availability, and parts diagrams can be found online.

I’m a Husky guy as well. I don’t own any Stihls and have only ran one model of Stihl saw and can’t remember what it was. It was years before I really got big into saws.

I don’t have anything bad to say about Stihl as I have basically no experience with them.

Latest posts

Back