Bees, A Friendly Reminder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Heads up, they're out there

Never gave them a thought until this am. Was pulling tops this morning when I felt that unmistakeable pinch, and another, and another, etc. I was covered in wasps. Jumped off the tractor and ran for the truck. Who says a fat, old, and miserable sob can't leave posi Vibram marks on a skid trail while performing a medley of swatting dance steps worthy of a ballet audition when he has to?

Sat in the truck for 20 minutes until things calmed down, reached under the seat and grabbed my trusty can of Black Flag wasp and hornet spray and headed back in. Sprayed the few stragglers, and then I saw the nest, about four feet off the ground in the top I was pulling. Disconnected the choker and got the tractor on the trailer and took off. Maybe try again tomorrow.

Total damage, one above right eye, one on the bottom lip, three on the back of the head and neck, three on the left arm, four on the right, two or three on each leg (thank goodness for double fronts), and at least a half dozen on my back. I'm one sore puppy right now. As painful as this is right now, I guess I'm fortunate I'm not allergic like some people.

Painful lesson learned, from now on the bee spray goes with me in the tool bag and not under the seat of the truck. Also, had I spent a minute to look the top over before hitching I would have seen the nest and could have dealt with it pre-sting. A lot of times those little buggers are in the ground and you don't have a clue, but this battle didn't need to be fought if I was thinking and not been complacent.

Hope sharing this little episode may save somebody else the aggravation and discomfort. Starting to believe more and more, summers should be spent fishing, but then again I seem to remember a few Bill Dance bloopers starring bees.

Take Care

Last edited:
Always take caution after being stung to make sure you don't develop a reaction. Some people get stung dozens of times over their life then all of a sudden have a really bad allergic reaction.

This is why I cut in the late fall early December. Your adventure would have landed me in the hospital or worse. All 6' 240 pounds of me turns to a red bloated fiery mess in under a minute now. Hope you heal up quick so you can get back at it!

I got nailed by Yellow Jackets yesterday morning. Seems they moved into a barrel where I keep the splitter droppings. Got stung twice on my right ear and behind the ear lobe, twice on my right hand. I ran for my truck and grabbed my epi-pen, but no bad reaction.

Ear and hand are still burning, but I can't imagine how you feel getting nailed by that many wasps.

Feel better soon.

Man...Wasps Hurt Too....Thanks for the heads up. I almost forgot about bees.
August always seems like a bad month for bees...It's usually the Rattlers and Copperheads that worry me in the summer.

Last edited:
I posted about getting into a ground nest of yellow jackets about a month ago. Got hit a dozen times. Hurt a bit, but no real harm.

Wasps on the other hand just seem to hurt like holy heck! And the number of hits you took sounds scary too!

I've never shown any sign of allergies to any stings or bites, but also am aware they can develop at any point, so I try to avoid them and make it a habit to not be alone for awhile after getting stung. Just in case...

Hope you feel better soon and can steer clear of them in the future!

Great great post. Happened to my father fifteen years ago. Luckily not allergic but it could have been bad. Thanks for sharing.

I hear you on that. Was having a nice evening August barbecue one night pushing my kids on the swing then,
wham!...stung multiple times. No big deal (I'?e probably been stung just about every year since I can remember). Having some adult beverages and my brother in law says..."hey you sound kind of funny...you o.k.?". Me..." yeah I'm o.k...just the beers". Long story short,,Trip to the emergency room and an IV of Benadryl for a couple of hours and I was ok. Funny thing is that I've been stung every year since I can remember. i would always have a reaction but not this kind. Swollen face, rash and itch every where. Be Aware!

Thanks for the reminder.

Maybe it was the beer that caused the change in reaction? I would just go home tell the little miss you got stung on the end of your little smokey and the doc suggested soaking it in cider??? It's always worth a try:msp_wink:

Thanks for sharing. It brings back bad memories tho!

Last month I decided I was going to try a helmet camera and record some saw action. My test video ended abruptly thanks to the smell of honey. I hadn't fine tuned the camera angle but you get the idea:

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/241026.htm

A little advice: If you wear glasses (that you need to see/drive) and are working in the woods, get a band that attaches to the ear pieces and goes around your neck. If a swarm hits you and you start swatting, your glassss will NOT stay on and you will be SOL.

Found some new one's here yesterday. I was working at a school, walking along side of it. I had noticed many ant hills everywhere, with what looked like burn marks around them. Then it was ouch what the #@!$. These where ground hornets, all black, maybe midnight blue, Black with a blue highlight. Nasty huge buggers, they where in the ground around the whole school. Apparently they had already been sprayed, and the exterminator had been scheduled. Each sting was like a golf ball, 100 times worse than yellow jackets. This time a year I am stung at least once a day by the yellow jackets. One of the down falls of my trade. Looking at it written down, I NEED A RAISE.

That bites. I hope you're feeling better. :)

Yep, wasp attacks seem to stay within our memories for some reason. We'll forget a lot of things in life but getting stung all to heck ain't one. My BIL was a climber... got nailed in a tree they were taking down one day. Man, I didn't know he could move that fast.

Bees and wasps tend to get aggressive this time of year. This is why I stopped early wood cutting - darn yellowjackets and bumbly bees rule the woodlot in late summer to early fall. If you see 'em, come back at night with a can of death juice and hose 'em.

There are some things you can do to minimize wasp attacks. Wear light colored clothing and a white cap - attacking wasps go for darker colored areas, ie human hair.

I understand that accommodating bees and wasps isn't always feasible. Please be careful out there. Get them before they get you.

Oh, and also stay away from organic wasp and bee killer. It may kill them but will take 24 hours or so. Sucks to spray the bees and have them come right at you.

Oh, and also stay away from organic wasp and bee killer. It may kill them but will take 24 hours or so. Sucks to spray the bees and have them come right at you.

I prefer the jet-spray foaming type, so I can get 'em from 20 feet away and get most before they can take flight. Drops them nearly instantly and kills them almost as fast! Even so, I still tend to sprint 30 yards or so, just in case...

If I come across a nest that I don't have to spray, I'll leave it be. All of them do at least some good and with the decline of the bee population, I'd rather just live and let live in this case. Unless the alternative is stings for the family or more than just an occasional one for me. Then, it's all on baby! Let the jet-spray fly!!!

Used the stuff once as that's all the store had that day. Took a solid hour to kill all of the yellow jackets in a near-basketball sized nest.

Back