Bees, A Friendly Reminder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar thing happened to my dad awhile back, ran over a ground nest with the dozer while skidding some logs and those little buggers went after him, he jumped off the machine, ran to the truck and was still swatting 'em as he was driving towards town, ended up with quite a few stings, but luckily he's not allergic. Last month I wanted to move the splitter from in front of the wood shed to pile some wood in there so I took the tarp off the splitter and was about to grab the hitch on the front to move it, just happened to glance at the back of the machine and I saw a round ball at the end of the cylinder and thought how did the kids' soccer ball get stuck in there..................it wasn't a soccer ball.............saw a swarm coming at me so booked outta there; went back an hour later with a long pole, knocked off the nest, moved the splitter out of the way; a cup of gasoline and a match took care of those buggers. A couple of weeks later, nearby I had raked some bark and chips from some splitting into a pile and went back some time later to clean that up and noticed a swam coming out of that pile, torched that group as well; it's been a bad season for those little monsters. Good post to remind us to be aware of our surroundings, sometimes it's not the chain saw or a falling tree that could get one in trouble. Be safe out there.

Weeding in the garden wearing basketball shorts...the yellow jackets have FULL access. Don't ask me how I know.

This week I dropped off some stuff at a friend's who had been down at his family's cottage for a week and a half...

I text him the pic below, "Um, have you seen this in your cherry tree?"

erics_hornets.jpg

It's only 7' or 8' off the ground in his backyard, and he has four kids under the age of 13, so I think they built this just in the last couple weeks!

Latest posts

Back