Bench Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bench saw is one that you have NEVER gotten to work.

It always sits on your workbench. I have two!!! :jester:

I'm betting on it being a table saw. Just worded as a bench saw.

You mean a circular saw mounted in a table? If so then yea i got one, only 4" cut though. I've always wanted to get a 24" blade or so over from europe and set up a big bench for milling lumber.

daemon2525 said:
A bench saw is one that you have NEVER gotten to work.

It always sits on your workbench. I have two!!! :jester:

I'm assuming that was a joke. Get it? ...it's a 'bench saw' because it's always broke and sitting on your work bench.

A 'table saw' is what you have when you clean your chainsaw in the kitchen when the wife's not home.

coveredinsap said:
A 'table saw' is what you have when you clean your chainsaw in the kitchen when the wife's not home.

They're gett'n better Sap, they're gett'n better.
Andy

Work in the house.

coveredinsap said:
I'm assuming that was a joke. Get it? ...it's a 'bench saw' because it's always broke and sitting on your work bench.

I once rolled my motorcycle through the front door into the living room. I needed to remove a piece of ducting from in front of the air cleaner. Open it up a little...let it breathe better. ;-)

The living room seemed like a great idea to me. Watch tv, have a couple of beers, some quality time with the motorcycle......carpet bike.

I seem to remember having a great sales pitch for my wife when she got home. Brilliant, I'm sure......I just don't really remember the content of my speach. Probably my best work, though.:rock:

Mitch

I helped my buddy assemble a basket sporty (from bike in a box) in the living room of his second floor apartment.

First time it was fired was on the balcony.:hmm3grin2orange:

Auswoodcutter said:
Does any one use a bench saw?

If I'm not mistaken, "Bench Saw" is the Brit/Aussie term for what we call a table saw which in the trade is more likely known as a "variety" saw.

Here's mine...1973 Northfield #4, 7-1/2 HP direct drive, 14"-20" blade, stock rack & pinion fence, weighs in at a trim 1950 pounds.

i have an old blue homelite xl that is a shelf saw.

i messed with it for a while and then i just went and bought a husky. i never looked back.it may still be sitting there.i'll go look someday.

This is my bench saw

View attachment 33799

View attachment 33800

View attachment 33801

View attachment 33802

This is my bench saw. I use the chain saw to cut in to 4ft lengths, then use the bench saw cut the up in about 1 ft lengths. I need another person to help, and a third makes it a lot quicker because one can be on the chainsaw and the other two uing the bench saw.

The saw is carried on the linkage by a Ford 3000 (not in the picture) and i cant tell you what speed the blade turns at. The bench is set on bearings and isn't hard to push in or out.

Saves sharpenning the chain as much anyway, only a quarter of the cuts.

wouldn't it be quicker, simpler, and less people needed just to do all the cutting with a chainsaw? or i am overlooking/missing something?

Common term in my neck of the woods for them is buzz saw. Seen them mounted on about any kind of older tractor. Front mounts were driven with the belt pulley and the 3 point units ran off the pto. They were made with a sliding table stationary table and a rocking type too. Some of the old farmers had attachments for them to sharpen the ends of drive stakes for fencing too. Alot of them got converted into scarp over the years. Some got put on a trailer and driven with the pto to a gear box then with belts to the saw mandrel. Some said this was safe because of belt slippage. I have about 5 of them ,but never used one. The neats one I ever saw was on a steel wheel wagon driven with a big 10 horse hit and miss engine.
Later
Bob

Lakeside53 said:
In that case, yes, I have and use a "table saw". Delta unisaw, beismeyer fence etc etc..

Is your name Norm Abram?

coveredinsap said:

I currently have three saws on the kitchen table, but just purchased a Duncan-Pfife. So thats over.

Good post Sap. Wit

Fred

I guess PPE for a bench saw is akin to costume jewelry. Or maybe it just requires finding 3 'other' people to do the work.

I've seen similar 3pt blades oriented horizontally for cutting trees/stumps. They look pretty wicked as well...

Chaser

Back