Bench Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rb_in_va said:
Never can have too many clamps!

Never! I've taken to buying them in every form at garage sales, by the box. Still need more now and then. Some of the best C clams I find are 1950's, big, rusty, but work great with a little TLC. Made in USA, not the Chinese junk found at the hardware stores.

Lakeside53 said:
Never! I've taken to buying them in every form at garage sales, by the box. Still need more now and then. Some of the best C clams I find are 1950's, big, rusty, but work great with a little TLC. Made in USA, not the Chinese junk found at the hardware stores.

Can't forget the Bessys. I have 20+... for now.

"I have a fever, and the only perscription, is more clamps"- SNL:D

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Can't forget the Bessys. I have 20+... for now.

"I have a fever, and the only perscription, is more clamps"- SNL:D

Last week I got some of the Heavy Duty Quick grips (12") for $8 each at Home Depot. They had 5 they found overhead that were VERY dusty and asked how many I wanted at $10 each. I said 4. So they gave me 5 for $40 instead. That's my subtle approach to bargaining...

Not Bessys, but handy nonetheless.

It was my consolation prize as my wife bought a refrigerator there at the same time :cry: .

Chaser

My father and I run one for cutting up the smaller diameter stuff. It seems easier to bring reasonably straight limbwood in in lengths and buzzing it up and throwing it on the pile rather than chasing little peices around out in the woods. Works nice for cutting up slabs from the mill also. The blade stays sharp much longer than a chain for a chainsaw. Wicked machine that you must really keep your eye on the ball with. It is amazing how fast you can go through a pile if you have the third person to bring the lengths up for you.

Since we're talking about table saws, this is the current state of my dining room table.

I have a very understanding wife!

Madsaw said:
Common term in my neck of the woods for them is buzz saw. Seen them mounted on about any kind of older tractor. Front mounts were driven with the belt pulley and the 3 point units ran off the pto. They were made with a sliding table stationary table and a rocking type too. Some of the old farmers had attachments for them to sharpen the ends of drive stakes for fencing too. Alot of them got converted into scarp over the years. Some got put on a trailer and driven with the pto to a gear box then with belts to the saw mandrel. Some said this was safe because of belt slippage. I have about 5 of them ,but never used one. The neats one I ever saw was on a steel wheel wagon driven with a big 10 horse hit and miss engine.
Later
Bob

I remember my father had one back in the mid fifties. It was a rocking cradle type mounted on an old wagon frame. It was powered by a flat belt off of an ancient Ford Model A car engine which he hand cranked. I can still hear him cussing that engine.

has anyone seen a motorized bench saw that has a 4 cylinder gas engine to a transmission to a shaft to a blade all on a trailer?

Back