Best 24" Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats 3 votes for the 460. Looks like I'm going to be heading to Exposure Therapy to help get over my fear of Stihl. ;D

I was a dyed-in-the-wool Husky fan before I just recently purchased a 660, and with the help of the fine people here some modifications took place, and I'm now more than pleased by the machine. Stihl just has better service in my area and that counts for a lot!!!!! I still marvel at the Husky 346's absolute smoothness and the 372's speed, and smoothness, but I needed a "big" saw I could spend some $ on and not feel like if it needed service I'd be out a saw for a week. I have backup smaller saws, but not on the larger ones, just too expensive for me right now. My Bobcat with grapple set me back this past year and a dump trailer too, and I don't get more large trees over 3ft. than under so I had to set some limits. Get the 460, i'm going to, when and if the 2003 372 dies!!!

Just stopped at the local Stihl dealer: $1000.00 for a new 460. Ow. I know the owner so I'll drop him a line and see what he can do. But at that price I'm going to be saving a LOOOONG time :\

what is a good price for a good used 460?

Just stopped at the local Stihl dealer: $1000.00 for a new 460. Ow. I know the owner so I'll drop him a line and see what he can do. But at that price I'm going to be saving a LOOOONG time :\

what is a good price for a good used 460?

If you look and are patient they can be had for 4-5 hundred in good shape.

I bought a used HD rental Makita 6401 from someone for my brother for $125 with 2 20" bars and 2 chains. I just put a 7900 kit on my 6401 for $170, that would put you at $295 for a 79cc powerhouse. I did run the 28" bar on my 6401 before I switched it over and it did very well and would have worked for me, but I had the money and the urge. If you're going off votes mine goes to the Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401 7900/7901 of coarse I still haven't got to run mine yet but still vote for it.

attachment.php

View attachment 232889

I've worked my 660 for nearly 10 years and it's still my most reliable saw. Normally running a 25" bar with an 8 pin rim. The fuel tank leaks (if anyone has one...) as I dropped it down a 30ft bank.

It's like having a really hot girlfriend - with a bladder problem.

I've worked my 660 for nearly 10 years and it's still my most reliable saw. Normally running a 25" bar with an 8 pin rim. The fuel tank leaks (if anyone has one...) as I dropped it down a 30ft bank.

It's like having a really hot girlfriend - with a bladder problem.

:msp_biggrin::msp_scared:-See above....:msp_biggrin:

Forget the plastic saws. Find a McCulloch SP-81 or any of the PM800, 805, 85, 8200 or DE80 saws and be done with it.

The power is there, even the nay-sayers must admit that, if not they never ran a 5 cube Mac before. Eighty CC's of American HP and torque which is plenty to pull a 28" or a 33" bar.

Durability, well considering there are a lot of 30 year old Macs being used to this day tells me a lot when compared to the plastic Huskys that have screws lossening on a brand new saw with 10 hours on it. Not to mention i don't see a lot of 70's and 80's Huskys running. Maybe durability isn't quite there yet.....

bob

Forget the plastic saws. Find a McCulloch SP-81 or any of the PM800, 805, 85, 8200 or DE80 saws and be done with it.

The power is there, even the nay-sayers must admit that, if not they never ran a 5 cube Mac before. Eighty CC's of American HP and torque which is plenty to pull a 28" or a 33" bar.

Durability, well considering there are a lot of 30 year old Macs being used to this day tells me a lot when compared to the plastic Huskys that have screws lossening on a brand new saw with 10 hours on it. Not to mention i don't see a lot of 70's and 80's Huskys running. Maybe durability isn't quite there yet.....

bob

I have a 32" bar on my 82cc McCulloch SP-81 and 24" bars on my 70cc McCulloch PM700 and 7-10A. He's probably better off getting a Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401 or 7900/7901 with a 24" bar unless he's 'into' working on/with old saws however. I'll stick with my old McCullochs, Homelites, and Poulans.:cheers:

You don't need a 460.
All you really need for a 24" bar is a Dolmar/Makita 6400.
Don't worry about the 7900 kit, it won't be necessary.

I've used my 6400 as much with a 28" bar as I have with the 20" it came with.
I can link you up with some videos if you would like.

Mike

I wouldnt consider a 6401 unless I was going to throw the 7900 topend on it. They're as heavy as most of the other 70cc saws.

I agree, with the 7900 kit they are badazz. And they'll cut pretty good as a 6401, but with the weight of a 70cc saw.

I vote for a 372xp or xpw. The difference in the two is: XP=71cc, XPW=75cc+ wrap handle. They run close to the same but the XPW has that little extra torque that I like.

The 440 would be just as good of a choice.

If the question is "best saw with 24" bar", then these, IMO, are the best choices. Anything bigger will pull the 24" bar of course, but with added weight and unneeded power.

My thought is to build my armory. Have a saw for each specific task in the job. Right now I have what I need for up to heavy pruning and small take downs but I see the need for a saw that can run a a bar from 24 up to a 30 if need be. I have a buddy who has a 90 cc Stihl and is already complaining about how much of a beast it is and I know that if I need to borrow it he will let me and he will probably sell it to me if I press him. But I don't need that big of a saw yet, and won't even think about getting one until the need arises. i.e. I have to remove my neighbors 100 year old silver maple which I hope is never, love that tree.

So, so far, the recommendations are Husky, Stihl, and Dolomar/Mikita (with one enthusiastic Mac :eek:) ). Now that I know what size I need, upper 60s and definitely in the 70 cc range, I will start my looking.

Can I get a Mikita and then LATER upgrade it to the 7100? Like after the warrenty runs out? I liked that story of buying the rental saw for 125 bucks.

Keep the thoughts coming. I really appreciated the mentoring.

Get a MS 460R, you will never regret doing so. There is nothing on the market that will produce as much or as long if taken care of properly.
I have the 372xp but REALLY like the ms460, good balance and power to spare. Any of these choices won't be a bad deal.

Yea if you're wanting to pull 24"-30" with authority then I think I'd look at the 460 also. Or a Husky 390. I thought I read that you wanted something to pull up to 24". I must have read it wrong. I'd go at least 70cc. Forget the 60cc saws man, waste of time. Been there done that. Firewood is one thing but If you want to fall and buck timber you need 70cc+. :rock:

I wouldnt consider a 6401 unless I was going to throw the 7900 topend on it. They're as heavy as most of the other 70cc saws.

I agree, with the 7900 kit they are badazz. And they'll cut pretty good as a 6401, but with the weight of a 70cc saw.

I vote for a 372xp or xpw. The difference in the two is: XP=71cc, XPW=75cc+ wrap handle. They run close to the same but the XPW has that little extra torque that I like.

The 440 would be just as good of a choice.

If the question is "best saw with 24" bar", then these, IMO, are the best choices. Anything bigger will pull the 24" bar of course, but with added weight and unneeded power.

Not all XPWs are 75cc, but they were in the US for some years. ;)

Back