Best 24" Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget the plastic saws. Find a McCulloch SP-81 or any of the PM800, 805, 85, 8200 or DE80 saws and be done with it.

The power is there, even the nay-sayers must admit that, if not they never ran a 5 cube Mac before. Eighty CC's of American HP and torque which is plenty to pull a 28" or a 33" bar.

Durability, well considering there are a lot of 30 year old Macs being used to this day tells me a lot when compared to the plastic Huskys that have screws lossening on a brand new saw with 10 hours on it. Not to mention i don't see a lot of 70's and 80's Huskys running. Maybe durability isn't quite there yet.....

bob

A better advice is to forget your post above.....:msp_rolleyes:

I wouldnt consider a 6401 unless I was going to throw the 7900 topend on it. They're as heavy as most of the other 70cc saws.

That is not a problem since they pull like most of the other 70cc saws too.
They just don't COST like the rest of the 70cc saws.

I agree, with the 7900 kit they are badazz. And they'll cut pretty good as a 6401, but with the weight of a 70cc saw.

pretty good my ( ! )
See above!

I vote for a 372xp or xpw. The difference in the two is: XP=71cc, XPW=75cc+ wrap handle. They run close to the same but the XPW has that little extra torque that I like.

The 440 would be just as good of a choice.

If the question is "best saw with 24" bar", then these, IMO, are the best choices. Anything bigger will pull the 24" bar of course, but with added weight and unneeded power.

372 and 440 are both great saws, and would be good choices for 24"-30" bars but just aren't necessary for a 24".

Mike

There are 2 372's in the classifieds here.

One page 1 a 372xp and page 9 a 372 xp that's ported.

Might be choices to consider and I feel either would suit you well.:rock:

I just put together a Jonsered 801 out of a few scrap yard saws, no major modifications, just putting the best parts together and ended up with a very strong 80cc saw. I let this saw run for the first time to make a video then it sat for two days, just went out and it fired on the second pull. There are a few drawbacks to a saw this old, one is parts, which I have a bucket or two, next is weight, I eat my Wheaties, third is it really wants more than a 24 inch bar. The plus is I only have about $20 in the saw and its parts saws, and a hour and a half labor in putting it together, so when it breaks I will be learned in its dis assemble. This will also work for any saw, I will be putting together a McCulloch CP70 with a 82cc engine, and a Husqvarna 480CD here in the near future on very minimal money similar to or less than the Jonsered and all saws are in the 80 cc range. This is not the best option but will never break the bank. I will add a video of a McCulloch SP81 with a 24 inch bar and chain in same size Yellow Pine.
[video=youtube;Iq7bk6eS5vs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7bk6eS5vs[/video]
Photo0308.jpg

You don't need a 460.
All you really need for a 24" bar is a Dolmar/Makita 6400.
Don't worry about the 7900 kit, it won't be necessary.

I've used my 6400 as much with a 28" bar as I have with the 20" it came with.
I can link you up with some videos if you would like.

Mike

I never even thought of that. :msp_thumbup: That would save alot of cash with a HD rental.

I never ran anything over a 20" with my 6400 BUT the saws seem to balance very well with the 24's I have now.

They actually feel lighter than before, if that makes sense. I really like them with a 24" bar.

I should also say when it come to putting a lot of wood on the ground I do grab a more modern saw but only when it has to be done right away, and it cost my insurance co. around $850.
[video=youtube;08bo-zkWwbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08bo-zkWwbw[/video]

That is not a problem since they pull like most of the other 70cc saws too.
They just don't COST like the rest of the 70cc saws

372 and 440 are both great saws, and would be good choices for 24"-30" bars but just aren't necessary for a 24".

Mike

Yea, you're dead on on the price part. But the 6401s I've ran won't hang with a 372 or 440 with a 24" bar buried in Hickory.

Not necessary at all, but definetly preferred, by me anyways. Nothing worse than fighting a 60cc saw falling Hardwood for 8 hours. :msp_razz:

There are 2 372's in the classifieds here.

One page 1 a 372xp and page 9 a 372 xp that's ported.

Might be choices to consider and I feel either would suit you well.:rock:

Thanks! I wondered about that but was having trouble finding the classifieds on my phone app.

You fellas tryin' to mis-guide this fella ??

A JONSERED 2171 is the PERFECT saw for a 24" bar, and with the way it pulls a 28" bar i would think it will handle a 30" bar also.

JONSERED will give you many years of good service and :buttkick: the hell out of the pretenders !!

:popcorn:

You fellas tryin' to mis-guide this fella ??

A JONSERED 2171 is the PERFECT saw for a 24" bar, and with the way it pulls a 28" bar i would think it will handle a 30" bar also.

JONSERED will give you many years of good service and :buttkick: the hell out of the pretenders !!

:popcorn:

so a copy saw is somehow better than the pretender it was patterned after?... a good saw? maybe, better saw, nope, or sales would show it.

FWIW: at the last ARKMOTX gtg last fall, I was able to run my stumpbroke 372xp w/a 36" semi skip chain noodling in hedge. It's the best bang for the buck value out there in saws. So much so, I want another one (or three) "just because"...

I can only saw with one at a time. This one has held up VERY well in rough conditions, so I don't anticipate down time. I'm not going to loan them out. I'm not starting a tree/firewood service. I'm married. My wife doesn't run saws.

I have NO reason to own more than one, but I find myself wanting more of them just because this one runs so well.
I wish I could let you run this one side by side to any of those suggested above...
It'd dang sure help you make up your mind.

FWIW: if you can wait, attending a get together is an excellent time to determine what saw will do what you want. The last one we were at had over 125 saws and no one was turned down for running any of them.

Just stopped at the local Stihl dealer: $1000.00 for a new 460. Ow. I know the owner so I'll drop him a line and see what he can do. But at that price I'm going to be saving a LOOOONG time :\

what is a good price for a good used 460?

Hi Again
I buy the MS 460Rs for $875.00 out the door and the 460R is $50 To $60 more than the regular 460. The R model comes with almost $330 worth of extras that makes the saw a true production saw. If you can swing the overage on your budget you will never be sorry that you made the sacfrice, 20 years from now you will be able to look back and be thankfull you did.

so a copy saw is somehow better than the pretender it was patterned after?... a good saw? maybe, better saw, nope, or sales would show it.

FWIW: at the last ARKMOTX gtg last fall, I was able to run my stumpbroke 372xp w/a 36" semi skip chain noodling in hedge. It's the best bang for the buck value out there in saws. So much so, I want another one (or three) "just because"...

I can only saw with one at a time. This one has held up VERY well in rough conditions, so I don't anticipate down time. I'm not going to loan them out. I'm not starting a tree/firewood service. I'm married. My wife doesn't run saws.

I have NO reason to own more than one, but I find myself wanting more of them just because this one runs so well.
I wish I could let you run this one side by side to any of those suggested above...
It'd dang sure help you make up your mind.

FWIW: if you can wait, attending a get together is an excellent time to determine what saw will do what you want. The last one we were at had over 125 saws and no one was turned down for running any of them.

That was reason enough for me:rock: I couldn't have one plain and one hot rod....:clap:

I still feel the ported 372 in the classifieds will handily fill the op's needs.

Last edited:
If you get a chance, you should go to the Iowa gtg. There will be many saws there that are the size you are looking for. There is also a gtg in MO this coming weekend that would have many saws that have been mentioned.

A better advice is to forget your post above.....:msp_rolleyes:

Sorry, but I stand by what I said. I believe a Mac is a better built and more durible saw. There is a reason why they are some many still being used.

I been lucky enough to work on new Huskys, new enough to where I should not have been. And these weren't "box-store specials".

:cheers:
bob

husqvarna 365special all the way,it pulls up to 28" with full authority,24" quite comfortable,i considered changing to one of the new husqvarna 560xp xtroq and now realise i was a little dumb to even want to change it cause they max out pulling 20" bar,the 365 can take up to 28" and i find very little to better it or to give you a better balance and power to weight ratio.

husqvarna 365special all the way,it pulls up to 28" with full authority,24" quite comfortable,i considered changing to one of the new husqvarna 560xp xtroq and now realise i was a little dumb to even want to change it cause they max out pulling 20" bar,the 365 can take up to 28" and i find very little to better it or to give you a better balance and power to weight ratio.

My 562xp will pull a 24" with absolute authority. Im thinkin she will run a 28 just fine. Ive been meanin to put the 28 techlite on her. Ill let ya know what find....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Yea, you're dead on on the price part. But the 6401s I've ran won't hang with a 372 or 440 with a 24" bar buried in Hickory.

Not necessary at all, but definetly preferred, by me anyways. Nothing worse than fighting a 60cc saw falling Hardwood for 8 hours. :msp_razz:

Well, the next GTG we get to together, I'll let you run one that might change your mind!

Mike

My 562xp will pull a 24" with absolute authority. Im thinkin she will run a 28 just fine. Ive been meanin to put the 28 techlite on her. Ill let ya know what find....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Just remember... Being able to pull the bar, and being able to oil it adequately, are two different things...
:msp_sneaky:
Just sayin...
And stuff...

Latest posts

Back