Best 3 cubic inch lightweight saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a lightweight 3 cube saw, there is little doubt in my mind

- Husky 346xp rules!!!!!!:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

I own a couple of pieces of Shinny equipment. Well I sold the chainsaw, it was smaller than the 488 but it was tough as nails. My big Shinny brushcutter is tough also. What makes the 346XP better than the 260Pro , in real life? I had been told by a dealer that I would not be happy as it was a high rpm saw and only good for limbing. Now just repeating what I was told.
GregH

I own a couple of pieces of Shinny equipment. Well I sold the chainsaw, it was smaller than the 488 but it was tough as nails. My big Shinny brushcutter is tough also. What makes the 346XP better than the 260Pro , in real life? I had been told by a dealer that I would not be happy as it was a high rpm saw and only good for limbing. Now just repeating what I was told.
GregH

346xp's anti-vibe, air filtration and ergonomics are SUPERIOR compared to 260 stihl... 'Bout the rpm statement, yes, its true that its high-reving saw but it doesnt stop you using it as all-around saw, one just have to remember that its any torque monster of old days, so you cant push it throught log, instead you just hold it in wood and watch the chips fly...

GregH

Anti-vibe and air filter system are much better on the 346xp, than on the MS260.

What are you going to use the saw for ????

...and just how important is the weight????

Anti-vibe and air filter system are much better on the 346xp, than on the MS260.

What are you going to use the saw for ????

...and just how important is the weight????

I have an MS200 for light stuff and an older 026. I just thought I might need to buy a new saw if the 026 is seriously outclassed. I need the larger one for sawing larger trees and stuff too large for the 200. This board has already caused me to buy the 200 and the NT grinder. What a bunch of guys, you cause me to spend money.
Thanks tho
Greg Harrison

I'd like to hear from those who have used all of the top contenders. One thing is saw weight. Young and strong guys probably pay less attention to poundage, but it was a factor that I considered. I bought the Dolmar 5100S, but the lighter weight Husky 346XP really appealed to me. If Husqvarna finds a way to boost displacement to 50 cc without adding weight, they will sell even more.

Then I would say, keep the 026, as long as it does OK.

The extra power of the Dolmar PS5100 comes with about a pound extra weigt.

...and the 346xp teams up better with larger saws, than with smaller ones.

Sawtroll,
The 026 is a low hour saw. You know how hearing about all the new better saws gets a man excited. Sounds like I am okay, especially since mony doesn't get spent. At least that is the wife's view. Weight is somewhat important , but since I have a lightweight saw I could handle more weight on the bigger saw. Thanks for the info guys.
Greg Harrison

... If Husqvarna finds a way to boost displacement to 50 cc without adding weight, they will sell even more.

They did, with the 353 (51.7cc), but they didn't use the extra ccs to get more power, but to make a cheaper cylinder design......

What I would like to see, is a 352xp, but I believe it is too late for that now, due to EPA.

They did, with the 353 (51.7cc), but they didn't use the extra ccs to get more power, but to make a cheaper cylinder design......

What I would like to see, is a 352xp, but I believe it is too late for that now, due to EPA.

Im pretty confident that with small port job the 353 will outcut 346xp, since its the same chassis and with port job you could propably get easily that +2k rpm's to equal 346xp in rpm's and the extra displacement should allow for more power rather easily...

Im pretty confident that with small port job the 353 will outcut 346xp, since its the same chassis and with port job you could propably get easily that +2k rpm's to equal 346xp in rpm's and the extra displacement should allow for more power rather easily...

The 353 beats both the 346xp and the PS-5100 when EHP has done his best magic to all the saws......

...but it is a fraction heavier than the 346xp and 026, but lighter than the PS-5100.......

The 353 beats both the 346xp and the PS-5100 when EHP has done his best magic to all the saws......

...but it is a fraction heavier than the 346xp and 026.......

about 0.2kg-0.3kg, which isnt much imo, +100 grams to that if its G model (heated handles/carb)

The extra power of the Dolmar PS5100 comes with about a pound extra weigt.

Talk to me about this, SawTroll...I looked at the specs for the 346 and the 5100 on-line, and they differ by .4 lbs. Is the pound difference the REAL weight difference based on independent testing, or is it the addition of more fuel/oil, etc.?

Don't take this as me doubting you, trust me!! If anyone here knows their ch!t, it's you! (Except you're wrong about the Husky handlebar angle being better than Jred's... :hmm3grin2orange: )

Just curious...trying to make a decision on them myself.

This is related, I looked at a jonsered 520 today. It seemed like a light well balanced limb saw. How does the performance compare to the others listed? How about parts. The throttle lock is missing and chainbrake not working. Seems nice otherwise. The price is $100 Should I jump on it? Thanks

Latest posts

Back