Best 3 cubic inch lightweight saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawtroll,
The 026 is a low hour saw. You know how hearing about all the new better saws gets a man excited. Sounds like I am okay, especially since mony doesn't get spent. At least that is the wife's view. Weight is somewhat important , but since I have a lightweight saw I could handle more weight on the bigger saw. Thanks for the info guys.
Greg Harrison

Keep it.. do a very mild muffer mod (5 minutes) and retune the top end to 14k... (still within spec). You'll be very happy...

Talk to me about this, SawTroll...I looked at the specs for the 346 and the 5100 on-line, and they differ by .4 lbs. Is the pound difference the REAL weight difference based on independent testing, or is it the addition of more fuel/oil, etc.?

It is a combination of test results from DLG/KWF, and people on AS weighting their saws. All tested Dolmar saws weight more than the specs say, and most Huskys also, but the 346xp and a few consumer saws are right on.

All weights are with empty tanks, and less bar and chain.

Btw, the specs differense is .6 lbs, not .4.

Last edited:
Ive got a mild mod on my 346xp muffler and an 18''bar with Stihl 325 RS chain.Last weekend My friend and I dropped a White Pine with a dbh of 20'',approx 70' ft tall.I used the 346 to buck up 16''.My friend commented that the woods looked like a wood shaving truck tipped over The 346 tore thru it like it wasnt there.My vote goes for the 346.:bowdown:

I think if you were to survey those here who have actually owned or run both the 346Xp and the 5100S, the 5100 would be the clear winner. Just a hunch:) Either saw would be a fine choice though.

I think if you were to survey those here who have actually owned or run both the 346Xp and the 5100S, the 5100 would be the clear winner. Just a hunch:) Either saw would be a fine choice though.

Yep, but the tread was originally about light 50cc saws, and the 5100 plainly doesn't fit that category.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep, but the tread was originally about light 50cc saws, and the 5100 plainly doesn't fit that category.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Model: PS-5100 S

Engine displacement: 50.7 (3.1) cc (cu. in.)

MAX engine speed (with bar & chain): 14,500 RPM

Power rating: 2.8 (3.8) kW (BHP)

Engine manufacturer: DOLMAR

Fuel tank capacity: 15.6 oz

Oil tank capacity: 9 oz

NET weight without bar and chain: 11.2 lbs

Standard guide bar: 16 - 18 "

Optional guide bar: 20 "

Chain Pitch: 3/8 - 0.325 "

Chain gauge: .050 -.050

I must be reading the specs wrong.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stock the PS-5100. My MS260 by Big Dave Neiger would be hard to beat by any other.
Respectfully, Jay.

Someone mentioned it already but the 488 Shindaiwa is 10.1 lbs for 3.5 horses if the literature is accurate. I owned a smaller one at one time and it was tough. I might have to rethink that brand if I had a local good dealer!!
Greg harrison

Model: PS-5100 S
Engine displacement: 50.7 (3.1) cc (cu. in.)
MAX engine speed (with bar & chain): 14,500 RPM
Power rating: 2.8 (3.8) kW (BHP)
Engine manufacturer: DOLMAR
Fuel tank capacity: 15.6 oz
Oil tank capacity: 9 oz
NET weight without bar and chain: 11.2 lbs
Standard guide bar: 16 - 18 "
Optional guide bar: 20 "
Chain Pitch: 3/8 - 0.325 "
Chain gauge: .050 -.050
I must be reading the specs wrong.:hmm3grin2orange:

You are reading the specs just fine, but not all are accurate. I weighed my new 5100S right out of the box, new and dry. It weighed more than specs at 11lb. 6 ounces without the bar chain cover and nuts. With the bar chain cover and nuts, the way most folks would weigh it, the weight came to 11 lb. 10 ounces. Thats eight ounces more than I expected from reading the same specs that you list. SawTroll is right when he says it is among the heavier 50cc saws. I used a state tested and certified accurate set of scales.

Saw weight doesn't mean much to me when I start sawing. But by the end of a sawing session, every ounce matters.

SawTroll is right when he says it is among the heavier 50cc saws. I used a state tested and certified accurate set of scales.

Saw weight doesn't mean much to me when I start sawing. But by the end of a sawing session, every ounce matters.

Am I not allways right......?

...hardly, but most of the time......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The only modern ones that are heavier is the MS270 and Dolmar 510, as far as I know.

Husky 254XP

Husky 254xp was the best small saw I ever used wish I bought on a few years ago! They are no longer sold in North America but I did find them on huskies web page for Europe.It was a tad heavy but real good power! 55cc I think.

Echo!

Posted response to wrong thread. I regard the 5100S as the best 50cc class saw for those who find the weight acceptable.

Last edited:
What makes the 346XP better than the 260Pro , in real life? I had been told by a dealer that I would not be happy as it was a high rpm saw and only good for limbing. GregH

A Stihl dealer?? :laugh:

Seriously- the 346xp runs rings around the Stihl.
Unless you lay on it.

Back