Best 30 to 40 cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the specs for the 352 and dry weight just under 9 lbs looks sweet. What chain works well with that stuff?
It comes with 3/8 low profile, which suits it. I've also used narrow kerf .043 3/8 LP and a light arbormax bar from Baileys. Cuts a little faster but it's not a huge difference on the brush I tried it on. It might make more difference for thicker wood but I usually use larger saws instead.

It's a nice saw however it has some small drawbacks. The air filter is not as good as modern Stihl pro saws' filters. Some fine dust gets in to the carb. I added some oiled foam filter material on the side of the air box where the carb adjustment holes are as I think that's where much of the air comes in. It helps but does not cure it. It comes with the carb adjusted lean and a catcon in the muffler. I removed the catcon and the limter tabs on the adjustment screw caps. The oil and fuel filler openings are small, making it easier to overfill and create a mess.

On the plus side it's super light and well balanced with a 16" bar. The controls work well. The oiler output is generous. It is very easy to start, even easier than 34cc suggests. The pull is very light and the saw is eager to fire up. This is nice for brush as I'm constantly stopping the saw to pull brush out of the way or pile it. If they put a better air filter on it and larger filler openings it'd be just about perfect for that use.

Echo cs-355t. 14" you wont be disappointed. Except for the fact you will never need to buy another saw again. Just my opinion.
I might add that an Echo CS-355T will also pull a 16" bar. I got one used for $220 that runs fine. It will stay with a Stihl MS 201T that my local dealer lists for $650. If we go back to Post #1, JTM was looking for a small ("wee wittle") saw. Seems like the 355T fits.

I second the CS-352
Light on the pocket and the arms, easy to work on, and most importantly a saw you can just tear up and not care about getting it roughed up because its CAD resistant!!!

I might add that an Echo CS-355T will also pull a 16" bar. I got one used for $220 that runs fine. It will stay with a Stihl MS 201T that my local dealer lists for $650. If we go back to Post #1, JTM was looking for a small ("wee wittle") saw. Seems like the 355T fits.
I have no doubts that it would pull a 16" easily. The 14" is just violent;) I got mine for in the woods small work. Meaning i dont wanna carry a fuel can and gallon of oil with. U can top it off walk in and cut for 1/2 hour str8. Ive dropped 12"x60' ash trees in minutes. They make a nice thud!

And how is a Dolmar PS32?

I have my eye on one..it’s an orange Makita with the quick chain adjuster (ea3201). That feature worries me a little. Is the tensioner reliable? It appears to hang out the clutch cover a bit. Does it get in the way?

I don’t need “the best” 30-40cc saw, just a decent lightweight little saw.

Anybody know about the PS32?

And how is a Dolmar PS32?

I have my eye on one..it’s an orange Makita with the quick chain adjuster (ea3201). That feature worries me a little. Is the tensioner reliable? It appears to hang out the clutch cover a bit. Does it get in the way?

I don’t need “the best” 30-40cc saw, just a decent lightweight little saw.

Anybody know about the PS32?

@svk can tell u. He had one. A clean one! Maybe whoever bought it will chime in as well.

@svk can tell u. He had one. A clean one! Maybe whoever bought it will chime in as well.

I hope they do! I want to know, as I know where there is one on sale too! It has the quick tensioner though...?

And how does the PS35 get a half horse more? Someone said something about a different carb?

Thanks for any info!

I hope they do! I want to know, as I know where there is one on sale too! It has the quick tensioner though...?

And how does the PS35 get a half horse more? Someone said something about a different carb?

Thanks for any info!
PS 35 is a heavier saw and 3 more cc so that is where the difference in power comes from. I do not know that the 35 is available in all markets though.....Like I had mentioned earlier the PS-352 (Makita 3601) is the category killer here. Perhaps the Stihl 200 rear may have similar or more power but I cannot fathom dropping that kind of $ on a 35cc rear handle saw.

What Husky does that coincide to? If it is the 240, stay away. If it is the 440 it would be a nice saw.

Just last friday a buddy bought a Husky 240 off the shelf for a small clean up job. We couldnt get that thing to run for **** to save our lives. He took it back within an hr and got a ms170. LOL!!!

Back