Best 30cc Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's closer to 40cc but the Echo CS-370 is my small "go-to" saw here, stays on the quad year round, has about a zillion hours on it, and has been flawless the entire time. It woln't win any chain speed contests, but it is one powerful little saw, and you can buck up some pretty big material with it if/when needed. I actually use mine at the splitter for cross-cutting knotty pieces to make them easier to split.........Cliff

Ok what's wrong with this picture. I'm pimping a Dolmar and Corey is promoting a Stihl. Did the earth fall off its axis? :cheers:
LOL Ya something must be up!
But for a saw to carry on the quad it is just so small and light and really rips.
Although I would say for a couple extra pounds the Dolmar 421 would be a lot tougher. Lol

There's also the shindaiwa 305s for $199, but the 40cc 402s for $299 has my vote for a last second change of mind. Both professional grade models and they're back in the U.S. again.

I have a couple used Shindaiwas I picked up and love them! Pro saws that are much better than the Stihl homeowner models like the 170. If the new ones are built with the same quality I think this is your answer. I'm also very happy with my Makita/Dolmar 50cc saw, don't know much about their smaller models, but also worth looking into.

I have a Redmax dealer just down the road from my house and there is another one about 50 miles thats going out of business. He has some new GZ4000's left for $199.00 plus tax. I know its a 40cc saw and fairly light weight. How are they build? Seems like a good price. He said retail was $399.00.

I really like my GZ400/4000 saws - they are light and I find them to be very sturdy. I've read where others think they feel cheap but I believe that is a reaction to how light they are. The mufflers are fairly choked up stock, although I know of someone who runs his that way and likes it a lot. They are easy on the fuel and don't stink so much thanks to the strato engine. With a muffler mod they are quite powerful for the displacement.

I have a Redmax dealer just down the road from my house and there is another one about 50 miles thats going out of business. He has some new GZ4000's left for $199.00 plus tax. I know its a 40cc saw and fairly light weight. How are they build? Seems like a good price. He said retail was $399.00.

Can you rely upon dealer support from the one staying in business?

FYI, I love my 42cc Dolmar 421.

Ran almost a tank through my new PS-32 today.

This saw cuts better than it should. I was surprised to actually be able to dig into the dawgs when cutting aspen as large as the 14" bar. Definitely would cut circles around any of the small saws I've used save the MS211.

Please keep us updated on this saw, here or in a separate thread.

="CoreyB, post: 5849486, member: 138126"]I really like my Stihl 192( rear handle version) great little limbing and trail saw. Mine is aways on my wheeler.
If the op wants best (subjective term) and he is prepared to pay for it.....well the MS201 rear handle is very hard to beat power to weight wise. It a pro saw with perfect balance. Bolt up a reduced weight 14" B/C Stihl light bar and PS chain & you have in your hands about the best in the business. I know this as I have this setup. Very light and capable, mine is standard carb but the new ones are Mtronic.

Can you rely upon dealer support from the one staying in business?

FYI, I love my 42cc Dolmar 421.
I am glad you got a 421 dolly, you took the good advice and will be pleaser for a long time you did. For the money, they are near unbeatable. To buy a better 40cc saw you would have to spend 2x the $$ for something like a ms241cm.....and its questionable how much better it would be.

If the op wants best (subjective term) and he is prepared to pay for it.....well the MS201 rear handle is very hard to beat power to weight wise. It a pro saw with perfect balance. Bolt up a reduced weight 14" B/C Stihl light bar and PS chain & you have in your hands about the best in the business. I know this as I have this setup. Very light and capable, mine is standard carb but the new ones are Mtronic.
I always "forget " about the 201 rear handle just because I can't afford one and hard to find unless special Ordered. However you are right and if I could I would own one in a Hart beat

Another one that I would look at is the Echo 361p. It is a rear handle version of the 355t. I have never had a chance to check one out but would like to.

When you have someone like @fordf150 supporting this forum and doing business in such a standup fashion, the Dolmar lineup seems like a no brainer. If I have a problem with my Dolmar in the next 2 years, I can just send it to him for $15 in shipping. When he sent me my 421, it was pre-tuned for me. Were I the OP, I'd be deciding between the PS-35 and the PS-421.

Latest posts

Back