Best 30cc Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you shipping through for $15? His corporate rate?

I'm saying that if I want him to service the saw (as opposed to the Dolmar affiliated chainsaw dealers nearby), it would cost me about $15 to ship it and of course he would take care of it within the Dolmar 2 year warranty. That's all.

Stock bar and 91VXL056G semi chisel. Got an Oregon Pro Lite bar en route. I really, really like this saw. I'm using nearly every day.
What size bar? Why did you order the Oregon bar? Is it better than stock or did you just want another? Thank You for the help! I think I'm going to order the 421 from Fordf150.

If the op wants best (subjective term) and he is prepared to pay for it.....well the MS201 rear handle is very hard to beat power to weight wise. It a pro saw with perfect balance. Bolt up a reduced weight 14" B/C Stihl light bar and PS chain & you have in your hands about the best in the business. I know this as I have this setup. Very light and capable, mine is standard carb but the new ones are Mtronic.
Sir, I think you are right about that stihl 201. I just cant shell out that much coin out at this time.

What size bar? Why did you order the Oregon bar? Is it better than stock or did you just want another? Thank You for the help! I think I'm going to order the 421 from Fordf150.

16", I needed a spare in case I could not repair the pinch from the other day (I was able to repair it but I need a spare as I am using this saw literally every day, two tanks of gas today already).

I'm quite pleased with my 421 from @fordf150.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 39
16", I needed a spare in case I could not repair the pinch from the other day (I was able to repair it but I need a spare as I am using this saw literally every day, two tanks of gas today already).

I'm quite pleased with my 421 from @fordf150.
A spare bar is nice and especially sense that has an inboard clutch you can easily remove the powerhead if you get the bar pinched again and use the spare to free in.

I want to thank everyone for all the help. Thats what makes this the best chainsaw site on the internet. I just ordered a Dolmar 421 from FordF150. All I can say is WOW what a Great Guy. Very informal, and talked to me for over and hour one the phone. Not to mention he sold me the 421 for $50 cheaper including shipping than my local dealer. Cant wait for my new saw!!!! Thanks agan!!!

Get the chain that he recommends just in case. You will like how easy it is to start.
I ordered the carlton chain that he recommended and Im going to get the stihl picco chain as well. How do you like the oregon chain?

I ordered the carlton chain that he recommended and Im going to get the stihl picco chain as well. How do you like the oregon chain?

It really rips compared to the stock chain. Which picco chain fits the 421?

I find a light 32cc saw and a 12" bar with a larger diameter tip sprocket is great for brush and trail clearing. The short bar and wide tip don't leave enough slack for the chain to get off the bar, so it never throws a chain. That's important when you have to walk a ways back a trail and leave the fuel and tools back. This one will easily cut anything with the bar buried, although they're getting pretty old now and a newer saw would probably be a better choice.

View attachment 502021

Sorry, won't do that, for reasons. Much prefer 21 cc brushcutter with 10" carbide-insert blade for the bigger stems and/or one of a bunch of smaller chainsaws with Granberg "Clip-N-Trim" attachment bolted onto bar. For the tall stuff, Clip-N-Trim thingie onto 16" bar on polesaw. I got tired of popping chains off bars. That Granberg thingie just simply prevents snags & pulls. For $20 fuggeddaboudit.

Sorry, won't do that, for reasons. Much prefer 21 cc brushcutter with 10" carbide-insert blade for the bigger stems and/or one of a bunch of smaller chainsaws with Granberg "Clip-N-Trim" attachment bolted onto bar. For the tall stuff, Clip-N-Trim thingie onto 16" bar on polesaw. I got tired of popping chains off bars. That Granberg thingie just simply prevents snags & pulls. For $20 fuggeddaboudit.
On the steep and rocky hills I'm cutting through the brush cutter would be slow and hitting rocks all the time. These woods are choked with briers, vines, shrubby things, etc. The various vines pull the autumn olives and other shrubs over, especially as branches from larger trees fall on them. To cut in a trail you have to carve your way through stuff from above, below and all sides. As I said up thread, I have never thrown a chain off the 12" McCulloch bar with the wide tip - I don't think it can come off. All my other saws/bars will throw chains.

On the steep and rocky hills I'm cutting through the brush cutter would be slow and hitting rocks all the time. These woods are choked with briers, vines, shrubby things, etc. The various vines pull the autumn olives and other shrubs over, especially as branches from larger trees fall on them. To cut in a trail you have to carve your way through stuff from above, below and all sides. As I said up thread, I have never thrown a chain off the 12" McCulloch bar with the wide tip - I don't think it can come off. All my other saws/bars will throw chains.

Folks I volunteer with have a brushcutter like that- a stihl fs-310. Can only be used like a scythe on level ground- an almost useless boat-anchor. I tried it to see what it could do on the massive 9-10' high tangles of multiflora rose/privet/euonymus/vines etc we're working on clearing- rien. No shortage of blowdowns and yankee pebbles in the midst either. That's why I've used my '70s Echo 21 cc brushcutter w/carbide for much of the job, taking it down piecemeal and mulching it in the process. Then folks can get in with excavator to clear stems & boulders as desired, or brush-hog along trails once ground is visible there. So, BTDT carving trails in the "jungle".

We've had to hold off for nesting season, but prospective tool of choice on resumption of hostilities is Clip-N-Trim thingie on polesaw for giving haircuts up top while keeping saw's clutch cover clean and chain on bar. Works great on lightweight 16" bar of conventional saw. Also a Very Good Thing IMO to not have any of the chain snagging on anything. Just thought you might be curious, and costs so little.

Latest posts

Back