Best 50cc when modded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Define "best".

kxCDcjQ.jpg

Hard not to be impressed with a ported 261... the little saw that could. Expensive little guys though :)

[video=youtube;4r3xIIbsqU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3xIIbsqU8&list=PL56ACA4319851F1AF&index=4[/video]

Last edited:
Define "best".

Yeah, no such thing right? To each their own......
Lots of good info here, thanks everyone. To elaborate, I tend to buy tools fot the long haul so look for the best possible stuff for my application. Don't need to buy a saw every couple years for what I do with them. That and I want to do the most work in the shortest time. This saw will be used for felling, bucking and limbing mixed hardwood up to 16" both for personal firewood use and at work when I do the odd clearing job or need to drop or cut up trees. My woods ported 372 has been doing the job nicely but I need something lighter that runs in similar fashion. It (372) will still be in action as needed for felling and bucking bigger stuff.

Imho, the only reason to wait on the 261C is if you're going to leave it stock. I still prefer an adjustable carb on a ported saw, especially the 261. The mods I make to this model are extensive. I'm skeptical how it will adjust. Only time will tell. That's not to say the Auto Tune doesn't work. I've seen some tuning issues, particularly on the low end and throttle response. I'm speaking particularly of the 441C. I've learned to work my way around the issue, but it required some changes in my mods. Had it been an adjustable carb, it would never have been an issue.

I dont know how many 241Cs have been ported but this one turned out sweet.
But if you de stratto a 261C and then expect the MTronic system to work,but as you said only time will tell.
Ported 241C and muff mod 261
[video=youtube;-7FYXaeRuCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7FYXaeRuCE[/video]

Anyone compare a ported 346xp vs a 550xp with MM? I think it would be pretty close and would love to see that video.

As it looks at this stage, the 550 also need to be ported to get close, but still is beat by the 346.

The 261 is a bit slower than both, even when "de-stratified" (+ the other disadvantages of course).

I've now done over ten 550XPs. So far not one has had any issues at all. They do exactly what they were intended to do, once ported they do it faster. The 346XP is a fantastic saw, but it's gone, and the days of Autotune saws are here now. I don't see the 550XP as a saw to be shunned at all. The one in this video was on it's first tank, I bet once some fuel was put thru it it picked up quite a lot more. When you need a stopwatch to see which saw is faster, it's a moot point in a real world working saw.

[video=youtube;Z897fnSfxUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z897fnSfxUw[/video]

I'm not a slick operator that can run a touchy, high strung saw. I like a saw that is forgiving in the cut when I lean on it. That said, when I build a small displacement saw like the 550XP I'm looking to add torque to an already high revving engine, hoping to find some sort of balance between speed and torque. I think we've found a good recipe for this model......your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing a MS261C on my bench. I figure it will have both torque and chain speed. :msp_thumbup:

From another thread;

Here we go fellers......all this talk about which saw is the hottest in the 50cc bracket has me wondering if the 346XP can be unseated as the top dog in the class. In the interest of science we need to know. :msp_rolleyes:

This video comparison will be in the same piece of wood with the same square ground chain. The chain was ground by mdavlee and has not been modified.

Here in my shop we have a low hour Stihl MS261. It has been woods ported with the strato ports nullified. It's blowing 205 psi with a cut squish band. The muffler mod is all within the stock deflector and is fully screened.

MS261033.jpg

Next we have a new 550XP. This saw is still fully stratified and autotune. I can't be 100% sure about it's compression because I don't have the correct gauge for the 10mm plug hole. With my Proto gauge and an adapter, it's blowing 165 psi which is about 30 psi low if I'm allowing for the adapter correctly. It has a cut squish band and is woods ported. The muffler mod is a welded on additional outlet and all openings are screened.

550XP001.jpg

I also just so happen to have a nearly new woods ported Jonsered 2153 that is blowing 185psi with a cut squish band......it's had a little carb tweaking as well, but everything is from this saw. No different parts at all. The muffler mod on this saw is a larger welded deflector in the stock location and it is screened as well.

Jonsered2153001.jpg

Here's the video....

[video=youtube;Z897fnSfxUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z897fnSfxUw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Now here's the times I got....

Stihl MS261:

Husqvarna 550XP:

Jonsered 2153:

Averaged times-

261 8.14
550 7.80
2153 6.99

I agree, in the real world it would be hard to see a difference in cut speeds. I definitely prefer feel of the 346 to the 261. I have a 550 that needs a new top end. I will decide on how it feels to me when I get it back together. It is only 2 or so ounces lighter than a 346.

Last edited:
Averged times-

261 8.14
550 7.80
2153 6.99

I agree, in the real world it would be hard to see a difference in cut speeds. I definitely prefer feel of the 346 to the 261. I have a 500 that needs a new top end. I will decide on how it feels to me when I get it back together. It is only 2 or so ounces lighter than a 346.

I like the 261 for work better than the other two. I can lug it way down and it just keeps chugging along........

261 is better than a 346 in every way to me. More power, torque, and filtration plus being super smooth. The 346 may be lighter by a oz or 2 but who cares when it's a baby saw any way.

Those 261 I see Ed EHP porting look very very impressive. Torque monsters with speed in the cut. 1 just took 2nd in a work saw class just behind a ported 562. :msp_thumbup: Never ran one but :msp_ohmy:

:potstir:

Cutting red oak

Per Ed = its running a new 3/8's LG chain and has pretty good torque , it out cut a stock 365xt 71cc bad and only .3 behind a muffler modded , transfer door cut and stato cut out on a 365 xt 71cc, its running pretty good

[video=youtube;xkx0bExxkyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xkx0bExxkyU[/video]

:potstir:

Cutting red oak

Per Ed = its running a new 3/8's LG chain and has pretty good torque , it out cut a stock 365xt 71cc bad and only .3 behind a muffler modded , transfer door cut and stato cut out on a 365 xt 71cc, its running pretty good

[video=youtube;xkx0bExxkyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xkx0bExxkyU[/video]

Kevin I'll do a video of my dads EHP MS261 and my completely stock still detuned week old 2166.

Back