Best 70-80cc Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70-80 cc, that leaves out the 385/390. The $500 budget makes a 461 pretty unrealistic, although you could get lucky and find a deal on one. My pick is a 7900. It will spank a 440 or a 372. Some people will try to say they are big and heavy, but honestly, I don't notice much difference, and the extra power is worth it.

I like power. 5hp Briggs comet clutch bar chain and ape hangers you got a cheep saw that can be fixed with anything you find at fleet farm, TS, and hardware stores. It could sound cool too with a piece of iron pipe as your mm

...I'm looking close at these suspects "Stihl 038 Mag, 044, MS 460 , 372 Husky, 7900 Dolmar."
Since good Dolmar dealers are rare around where I live, I'd look for a Stihl 044/MS440, MS460 or Husky 372. I got two MS440's off CL a few years ago that were in your price range; got a blown MS460 from the local dealer for free and rebuilt it (with much advice from the dealer) within your budget, too. The local tree services love their Husky 372's. Suppose it depends what characteristics you're looking for in a saw, too.

+2 for a Husqvarna 372XP, but even with that said they are almost always "beat" by the time they hit the used market, and low hrs lightly used units bring nearly the price of a new one, so it's a lottery ticket to get one at a reasonable price.

Probably a more realistic and affordable choice would be a 268 or 272XP. They show up on occasion in decent shape and the asking prices are typically hundreds less than an equivalent 372XP. Very easy to work on as well, and no shortage of parts for them to date.

I saw someone recommend the larger Echo saws, and as much as I like a lot of their products, the larger offerings are heavy, lackluster in power output, and don't really sport "Professional" features. Specifically the CS-670, 6700, 800 and 8000. I've owned several samples of each, and sent them all down the road as they simply didn't make the grade. Completely different story with their new CS-590/600/600P/620P series. I recently acquired a CS-590 and a 600P, they as really nice saws for the money......Cliff

If the budget allows it and if you can find it, a Dolmar 7300 or 7310 or its Makita equivalents. The 7900/7910 has more oomph and can run longer bars but its smaller sibling vibrates less and is lighter.
It's an underappreciated saw which few want new because it's so close in price to the 79XX and which you have problem shifting used (at least here) because people looking for a bigger (over 60cc) saw will just opt for the largest they can find and shun the "small fry".

+2 for a Husqvarna 372XP, but even with that said they are almost always "beat" by the time they hit the used market, and low hrs lightly used units bring nearly the price of a new one, so it's a lottery ticket to get one at a reasonable price.

Probably a more realistic and affordable choice would be a 268 or 272XP. They show up on occasion in decent shape and the asking prices are typically hundreds less than an equivalent 372XP. Very easy to work on as well, and no shortage of parts for them to date.

I saw someone recommend the larger Echo saws, and as much as I like a lot of their products, the larger offerings are heavy, lackluster in power output, and don't really sport "Professional" features. Specifically the CS-670, 6700, 800 and 8000. I've owned several samples of each, and sent them all down the road as they simply didn't make the grade. Completely different story with their new CS-590/600/600P/620P series. I recently acquired a CS-590 and a 600P, they as really nice saws for the money......Cliff
Been reading much of the same about the Echo's...I've heard great things about the Timber Wolf.

If the budget allows it and if you can find it, a Dolmar 7300 or 7310 or its Makita equivalents. The 7900/7910 has more oomph and can run longer bars but its smaller sibling vibrates less and is lighter.
It's an underappreciated saw which few want new because it's so close in price to the 79XX and which you have problem shifting used (at least here) because people looking for a bigger (over 60cc) saw will just opt for the largest they can find and shun the "small fry".
What about this; Makita 6401 upgrade 84cc?

Indeed, a Dolmar/Makita 73xx would also be a nice choice at a lower price than her 79xx sibling - I missed out on a nicely priced one, kicking my own a$$ ever since even though I don't NEED one. :oops:

What about this; Makita 6401 upgrade 84cc?
Dolmar/Makita's 64xx can also be had affordable and easily upgraded to higher cc's, definitely worth looking into one of these. :)

I see lightly used 372's around here for $500-600 occasionally. I bought mine well used and put$ into it. Overall about $500 into that saw and it's a beast to be reckoned with! It ain't pretty, but I wanted the pre-x torque. I know around here I can't touch a stihl for that price. They are nice saws, but feel like a boat anchor compared to my Husky's and are more expensive.

Latest posts

Back