Best chainsaw for firewood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta give another +1 on the old ms250 before @SawTroll come in with the beatdown.
[stirring the pot a little bit, throwing chum in the water]

For some people firewood is a profession involving hundreds of cords a year, for others it's a serious annual stockpiling of several cords up to a dozen. And for others just a face cord or two.

I were going to have only one saw for firewood it would probably be a 60 cc ranch or pro saw.
I wonder if the old 025 were a more robust all around saw (I have no idea). These days I see Stihl has put the MS250 in the "for occasional use" category, so if that's the use a user intends for it, then all well and good.

I think OP is intending to cut lots of wood 12" or larger on a daily basis I'd think the OP would want a saw designed to deal with heavy duty work.

My MS250 with 18" bar enjoying "occasional use"
2012-12-30155147_zpsba1a8b24.jpg

2015-08-07%2017.11.10_zpsqqc8kbrt.jpg

Be careful praising the wee 250, might break a lot of hearts around here. Mine was my primary firewood saw until my boss bought me a 362c for working on his land. Still love that little saw, it's light weight makes it disappear and a with a sharp chain it works well on the hardwoods of KS. Hackberry, Locust, Oak, Hedge, Ash, Elm, Walnut, and more.

I was after the 251 Wood Boss at my dealer, it was a bit out of my price range and the dealer, a friend of mine, recommended the 250. Roughly the same power and older, less EPA strangled design , non strato I believe. Fully adjustable carb and a little monster with a 16" bar. I'm glad he put the 250 in my hands.

I cut loads of wood with my old, reliable, reasonably priced 025, it kept my house warm for numerous years .... but then one day some years back I found a new saw in my hands, and quickly realized what I'd been missing ... smitten ... I could never go back again! - 346xpOE and more recently 562xp, provide an instantaneous testosterone boost, a very good thing for us seniors :D . The only downside is after years of practicing the fine art of chain sharpening, I would all too quickly rip through the defenseless trees, leaving me with the drudgery of splitting and stacking massive wood piles, while wistfully yearning for more opportunity to get back out and reap carnage on the forest. :chainsaw:

I cut loads of wood with my old, reliable, reasonably priced 025, it kept my house warm for numerous years .... but then one day some years back I found a new saw in my hands, and quickly realized what I'd been missing ... smitten ... I could never go back again! - 346xpOE and more recently 562xp, provide an instantaneous testosterone boost, a very good thing for us seniors :D . The only downside is after years of practicing the fine art of chain sharpening, I would all too quickly rip through the defenseless trees, leaving me with the drudgery of splitting and stacking massive wood piles, while wistfully yearning for more opportunity to get back out and reap carnage on the forest. :chainsaw:
346 piss rev territory

I wonder if the old 025 were a more robust all around saw (I have no idea). These days I see Stihl has put the MS250 in the "for occasional use" category, so if that's the use a user intends for it, then all well and good. ....

The 025 and MS250 has always belonged to the "homeowner" category, but what the brands have called the category has varied over the years.

The newer MS251 replaced the 250 years ago here, and likely is an improvement at least in the AV category.

Those saws are of course usable for the least demanding kind of "firewood cutting" - but they aren't something I would want to use for firewood (or at all).

The 025 and MS250 has always belonged to the "homeowner" category, but what the brands have called the category has varied over the years.

The newer MS251 replaced the 250 years ago here, and likely is an improvement at least in the AV category.

Those saws are of course usable for the least demanding kind of "firewood cutting" - but they aren't something I would want to use for firewood (or at all).
Oh26?

LMAO philmcwoody, I am a new member, but I have used this site a bunch, and I have always got a kick out of saw trolls post.... No doubt he knows a whole lot about saws, and I am sure more than me, but funny none the less.... I agree with you fully philmcwoody, what one guy calls cutting firewood means completely opposite to another... I have a really good friend that thinks 10 riks is a lot of wood and when he sees my pile his jaw drops...I mean if a guy just cuts up to 5-10 cords a year does he really need a pro saw???
With that said I finally bit the bullet a month or so ago and bought a new 461, so I can't say nothing LOL.... I do run into big stuff frequently so it has already helped me out tremendously.... Now I have a ms250, ms290, and the 461, and they make a good team!!!!

When it comes to saws, I guess what one man wouldn't sell for anything, another guy wouldn't even own it!!!!

View attachment 492060
This one works well too....but all of mine are ported.
This 036 model is what i told them to get because it is only type besides an 034 i have ever ran ,they were looking for a homeowner one i think to save a few bucks and get new also at same time ,i am just not up on the home owner saws to say which are good or not ,they do not need a pro saw for the firewood like a 362 ,think they want to spend 3-400 on a new saw tops .Maybe i will just tell them ask the saw shop what they think ,that's their job anyways .

Was surprised this thread was still going

This 036 model is what i told them to get because it is only type besides an 034 i have ever ran ,they were looking for a homeowner one i think to save a few bucks and get new also at same time ,i am just not up on the home owner saws to say which are good or not ,they do not need a pro saw for the firewood like a 362 ,think they want to spend 3-400 on a new saw tops .Maybe i will just tell them ask the saw shop what they think ,that's their job anyways .

Was surprised this thread was still going
Used anything or a new echo 5 yr warranty

LMAO philmcwoody, I am a new member, but I have used this site a bunch, and I have always got a kick out of saw trolls post.... No doubt he knows a whole lot about saws, and I am sure more than me, but funny none the less.... I agree with you fully philmcwoody, what one guy calls cutting firewood means completely opposite to another... I have a really good friend that thinks 10 riks is a lot of wood and when he sees my pile his jaw drops...I mean if a guy just cuts up to 5-10 cords a year does he really need a pro saw???
With that said I finally bit the bullet a month or so ago and bought a new 461, so I can't say nothing LOL.... I do run into big stuff frequently so it has already helped me out tremendously.... Now I have a ms250, ms290, and the 461, and they make a good team!!!!

When it comes to saws, I guess what one man wouldn't sell for anything, another guy wouldn't even own it!!!!

5-10 cords sounds like a good excuse for any kind of saw that tickles your fancy ... especially someone needs it to be reliable for firewood/heat or whatever other reason.
Love that Niko, he was one of the first posters I remember encountering here. Came at me with some good questions.
I was trying to figure out why my MS250 seemed really stingy with the bar oil -- I'm still not sure I really know the reason why, it oils fine now, but at least I discovered on AS that I was not alone in that experience. ... and I was pleased to find my Stihl dealer was great with in-warranty service no charge.

Used anything or a new echo 5 yr warranty

5 yrs ... that's a bit of alright, too.

5-10 cords sounds like a good excuse for any kind of saw that tickles your fancy ... especially someone needs it to be reliable for firewood/heat or whatever other reason.
Love that Niko, he was one of the first posters I remember encountering here. Came at me with some good questions.
I was trying to figure out why my MS250 seemed really stingy with the bar oil -- I'm still not sure I really know the reason why, but at least I discovered on AS that I was not alone in that experience.
Mine is stingy with the 18" bar, the 16" slings oil like a champ. I think some people equate long bars with big wood. So Stihl sells it as an 18" bar saw. Works much better with the 16" or under.

Around here, in orange/avocado land, the 025/MS250 is a pretty popular saw on the ranches. I have cut a ton of both those woods with one, and when I work the trees down to the main trunk, I'll break out the MS290. ..recently upgraded to MS390. Call the 250 what you want, but there are a ton of them working all day everyday all day in a bunch of orchards. Now, granted, we're not getting in truly big wood with them, but I haven't had a situation yet that either of those won't get 'er done!

Reckon it's a matter of what your deal is, and what you're comfy with. I'm getting ready to add my old 009L back to the stable for limbing...my BIL has had it for over ten years, never uses it, would be nice to have a lightweight for smaller work.

Latest posts

Back