Best chainsaw for firewood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
I am in the market for a saw for a friend that is lightweight and powerful enough to cut 6 inch to 24 inch rounds ,what do you guys recommend ? Needs to be able to pull a 25 or 28 inch bar .

I cut up 24-28 " hardwood oak and hickory with a 60cc saw wearing either a 20" (most of the time) or 24" bar. I think everyone knows my opinion on which 60cc saw. Lol but if you want a 28 in bar then I would say something like a Dolmar 7900, stihl 044, or 461. Those are a lot of saw for 6" stuff.

60cc works best for firewood but it won't pull a 28" bar. For that you will need a 70-75cc saw. I am primarily a firewood cutter and have never needed a 28" bar for firewood. I have used 28-36" bars and would love to have an 880 with a 60" but I don't need it.

I agree with the 60cc class of saws. A Jonsered 2159 has a 20" max recommendation. I believe the older true 65cc Husqvarna 365 is 24" max. The newer 365XT and 2166 versions are 70cc and have a 28" max. Other Swedish saw to consider in red are 2258, 2260 and 2165. Orange Swedish saw would be 555 at 59.8cc, 562, and maybe a 460 which is a plastic cased home owners 60cc saw...

very strange to see Brian back looking for saw advice but i'll go with it :laugh: Brian is in WA where there is alot of soft wood. to meet the criteria the absolute best it's gonna take a 562. it will pull a 28" with full skip in soft wood ok and is the lightest that will accomplish that task. knowing Brian though, he probably wants to hear us all say to get an 044 or a 440/460 hybrid lol

very strange to see Brian back looking for saw advice but i'll go with it :laugh: Brian is in WA where there is alot of soft wood. to meet the criteria the absolute best it's gonna take a 562. it will pull a 28" with full skip in soft wood ok and is the lightest that will accomplish that task. knowing Brian though, he probably wants to hear us all say to get an 044 or a 440/460 hybrid lol

Thats just wrong. :badpc:

I asked them if a 440 stihl would work ,they are looking 60cc i think ,i don't run anything under 75cc normally so not sure if a 362 or 562 be a better choice ,i have no run time with either model myself is why i am asking .This will be for softwoods Doug fir or alder ,isn't there a homeowner farm stihl in 60cc ? 390 or 391 maybe ?

Edit ,this is for my neighbor ,not me guys .
We have a Husky and a Stihl dealer here so leaning more toward those 2 brands ,Dolmar and Jonsered i hear are good ,but no one sells them locally .

I asked them if a 440 stihl would work ,they are looking 60cc i think ,i don't run anything under 75cc normally so not sure if a 362 or 562 be a better choice ,i have no run time with either model myself is why i am asking .This will be for softwoods Doug fir or alder ,isn't there a homeowner farm stihl in 60cc ? 390 or 391 maybe ?

good to see you posting here Brian. were they not able to answer this question over on OPE or did you miss us? lol i would say a 562 myself but i bet a 391 would run a 28" occasionally too. they might just have to get a piltz setup for it.

I am in the market for a saw for a friend that is lightweight and powerful enough to cut 6 inch to 24 inch rounds ,what do you guys recommend ? Needs to be able to pull a 25 or 28 inch bar .
60cc and to pull 28" bar....hmmm...Is only one saw on that size Husky 562XP.
Best money you ever spend in saw.
Good luck.

WC90 you are on a roll! Haven't seen a piltz post in quite some time lol.

Brian, I'd suggest they try a few saws and go to the Husky dealer last. The 562 is a sweet running saw, and in stock form I've yet to see any of its competitors come close.

6" wood to 24" wood . . . .

I prefer to score sides and bore cut on 24" or larger sticks using a 20" perfectly balanced bar on the 562xp, but I think the 562 can handle a 24" bar quite easily if you really want.

Back