"Best" Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies.

Also was looking for a nice smaller one. looked at the ms 200T. Why do they cost so much more than the others in a comparable size?

The Best...

I just purchased a 65cc Jonsered and I love it. can run from 16" up to 28" bar. Thats about the perfect cc range for versatility. Stihl or Husky dont matter as much as the man whos running the saw.

:deadhorse:

forget the 200 unless you are in a tree. a husky 346 is a little heavier, but is much stronger, and as a rear-handled saw, it is safer. it is small enough to limb with and large enough to fell a good-sized tree.

Plain and simple, no such thing and very subjective. It's like asking, what is the perfect woman? Besides the obvious, opinions will vary.

I'm amazed that we've had a vote for a poulan 53 but not 6 or 7 votes for the Homelite 750. Side tensioner, decent antivibe, 112cc's, thin rings, 12,500rpm wot freespeed, comfortable wrap handle, 112cc's and probably the best looking saw ever concieved. Parts are a bit hard to find, but perfection ain't cheap. Of course not EVERYONE who goes to colledge gets a PHD so I guess I can understand a LITTLE.:greenchainsaw:

Did I mention it's 112cc's?

Last edited:
:hmm3grin2orange:

I have been asked what GHS is:

Girly
Hand
Syndrome

Troll seems to have the worse case out of everyone here, a few others come to mind also. You will know who these guys are if they reply.:D

OMG! I just figured that out. WOW, am I slow! LOL!!!!

maybe a solo 665 with a 54mm big bore kit with a full port and cylinder blueprint. say hello to 87cc @ 14.8lbs!

solo 694 90cc! 6.9hp!

the best is what you make of it--any of the leading 70cc and up saws are contenders for the title.

I would say go for the STIHL ms 660, great for those big rounds that you will be cutting....big on power, low on vibs...sounds like you could handle it....but not those "troll" people :dizzy:

I'm amazed that we've had a vote for a poulan 53 but not 6 or 7 votes for the Homelite 750. Side tensioner, decent antivibe, 112cc's, thin rings, 12,500rpm wot freespeed, comfortable wrap handle, 112cc's and probably the best looking saw ever concieved. Parts are a bit hard to find, but perfection ain't cheap. Of course not EVERYONE who goes to colledge gets a PHD so I guess I can understand a LITTLE.:greenchainsaw:

Did I mention it's 112cc's?

Because you own them all, nobody else has one to make a comparison too.:cheers:
Joking of course, otherwise we'd have to call you Lee.

Because you own them all, nobody else has one to make a comparison too.:cheers:
Joking of course, otherwise we'd have to call you Lee.

Ya know I was about to rebut those comments by saying that I just traded a 750 for a near mint Super 1130G, but then I remembered that another 750 was sitting in a box on my shop floor that I had forgotten about. So instead I bow to your astute observation sir.

is the jump from a 460 to 660 worth it? It is another 200 bucks. While in my first post I did say I would pay for quality/durability I don't want to just "throw" money out....

thx

I would go with a MS660 or a 390xp. If price is a factor go with the 390. If its not a factor get the 660 and a DP muffler cover.

Looking for a end all be all chainsaw for myself. I have large? (20-30 inch diameter) trees in my area and in case of a shtf scenario want a chainsaw that can get it done. Willing to pay for the "best" upper tier chainsaw. Needs to be extremely reliable and have excellent power.

Thx

If you buy any "upper tier" saw from a reputable dealer and take proper care with fuel and maintenance, reliability should not be an issue. The same with power -- if you buy enough cubic centimeters, you'll have enough power. If what you want is a big saw to have around just in case a big tree falls on your driveway, rather than a working tool to use every day, there is no practical difference between a MS460, a 372xp, and a 7900. Certainly there are differences, but the arguments about which saw is best are made possible by fairly close parity among top brands. However, there is a very practical difference between a dealer who will set your saw up and tune it correctly, who will help you over the inevitable new-saw-owner hurdles, and one who will simply do his best do get as much of your money as possible. So the question becomes not what is the best saw, but who is the best and closest dealer. There should be plenty of dealers in your area, perhaps other PNW members can steer you to one who will take care of you.

Jack

If you buy any "upper tier" saw from a reputable dealer and take proper care with fuel and maintenance, reliability should not be an issue. The same with power -- if you buy enough cubic centimeters, you'll have enough power. If what you want is a big saw to have around just in case a big tree falls on your driveway, rather than a working tool to use every day, there is no practical difference between a MS460, a 372xp, and a 7900. Certainly there are differences, but the arguments about which saw is best are made possible by fairly close parity among top brands. However, there is a very practical difference between a dealer who will set your saw up and tune it correctly, who will help you over the inevitable new-saw-owner hurdles, and one who will simply do his best do get as much of your money as possible. So the question becomes not what is the best saw, but who is the best and closest dealer. There should be plenty of dealers in your area, perhaps other PNW members can steer you to one who will take care of you.

Jack

i don't totally disagree with certain parts of this, but the 7900 is superior in power to either of these, the 372 by one hp. the 372 is only a few ounces lighter. the 7900 is smoother than either of these. the 7900 is cheaper than either of these, if you can still find a new 372, the 460 by a pretty good chunk of change. but as jack mentioned, dealer support should be a strong consideration, more so the less confortable you are with turning wrenches yourself.

Now, no kidding aside. You all know I'm not much of a Husky fan, not because of the product but, because of their rabid fans. I believe the 2100 and their ilk are some of the best saws ever made. Light for their displacement, quick and with power aplomb. I have 2 and hope to own more. One was gone over by Big Dave, suffice it to say, it's unbelievable. The question is: Is it the saw or it's modifier?

Never ran a 7900, they seem to have a good rep around here if you can find a dealer for them.

I would get the 441 with a 28"-32" bar, it will cut more wood in a given half day or more than the 460 will, and you get one of the smoothest saws ever made.

The 460 is old news ........... great saw, but old tech. The 441 is quite a leap forward.

Sam

Latest posts

Back