Best Compliment for a 372XPW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headleyj

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK, so I've sold the MS290 and MS210, have a 24" 372XPW, and trying to find the perfect compliment for it.

I've narrowed it down to:
346XP (NE)
357XP (wow those are pricey)

I got the 372XPW for the big stuff and figure it'll be used 30%-40% of the time. The other one will be used the remainder of the time. I just cut firewood, mainly hardwood, some softwood (poplar), but want to be efficient at it.

30-40% of the time = 24" - 40"
60-70% of the time = 12" - 24"

The 357XP is pricey!! Really don't wanna spend that much, so I think I'll can that idea.

The 346XP would wear an 18" bar.....I ran an 18" at Erick's GTG and was impressed.

The 359 can be had for the same $ as the 346XP....but I've got the 372 already. Specs on the 359 are almost identical to the 357xp except for power. I ran a modded 20" 359 at Erick's GTG and it was mean, but prolly wouldn't go that radical.

So it's between an 18" 346XP (I'd find a narrow kerf chain for it) or an 18/20" 359 (at most I'd muff mod it), no porting.

I worry the 346 would be too small, but think if I got the 359 the 372 would just sit. I know the 346 is highly regarded, and i liked it but only ran a few cuts on it. Never ran a stock/ only muff modded 359.

I can't see why the 359 is labeled as a "Landowner" saw on Husky's website. It doesn't lack any features when compared to the 357xp (atleast on their website).

Remember this will be my main saw, used in 12-24" wood. Thoughts and advice here are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Sorry to disagree with you guys but I have both a 372 and 2 359s and I'm happy!!! Ran a 346 and wasnt impressed for the $$$$ :chainsaw:

I modded the muffler on my 346 before ever using it. I then took it out to cut frozen hardwood on the first tank. I was shocked when I buried the 16" bar and it buzzed right through it. No struggle at all. I was amazed, and still am.

what's "case stuffers"?? extra material in the crankcase that reduces air flow?

They're bolted or pressed onto the "bells" of the crank. The reduce the volume of the crankcase. It has to do with increasing the velocity of the charge as it's pushed fromthe base into the cylinder. Some remove them, I haven't. The 359s I've done run so well that I didn't feel it warranted splitting the case to find out. One 359 I did hands it to my 361BB.

Josh, I say it's gotta be the 346 the 359 is to close in weight to be of any real gain in the arsenal. Like Brad said a 346/372 combo is one of the best two saw combos out there.

If I were in your shoes I would get the 346 with a 16" B&C and regular ole .325 chain (no sence having to search for narrow kerf when you need it) and let that be your lightening quick great handling limb/small wood saw up to 12"-14" or so. Get a 20" bar for the 372 as that’s what it should probably wear most of the time and let that fill the gap from wherever the 346 leaves off for you to about 20"-22" or so and keep the 24" bar for the times when you need it. Of course if it were me I might trade the 24" bar for a 28" bar or if the funding is there just add a 28" bar to the mix.

But that’s just me. ;)

I still don't get the 2 saw combo thing, but then again who am I to discourage anyone from getting another saw.
I use one saw, from the stump all the way to lopping the top.
The 346 and 372 are both awesome though, modded of course.

Latest posts

Back