Best firewood insert..smaller size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an insert for my fireplace...wood burning and would like some input on what is the best type for a smaller sized fireplace. I'd like to make more use of the heat the firewood I burn puts out...

Thanks!

I wont say as for brand, but my insert uses closed ceramic glass doors and has 2 heatilator ducts that come out of the chimney just above the insert, and on a 0 degree day, its gets so hot in my house I slow her down, and that just burning hackberry or ash. If I get ornery with the mulberry or hedge, it will peg the thermostat at 90 in under an hour. I really believe in a closed door insert with heatilator ducts. Mine works awesome.

I'm looking for the same info through this thread. I live in an area where I can't have one of those outside type burners but would like one to heat my house with a blower that is of the insert type.

Avalon makes good inserts, but you might call a fireplace supply dealer. Mine is an old El Fuego make. I dont know if they are still in business. You might also do some google searches.

We put a Lopi Revere insert in last year and have no regrets it's an awesome stove. It's there medium size insert. It's a very well built stove and is one of the only of it's size that has a by-pass damper that is great when loading, no smoke.

Bdog said:
We put a Lopi Revere insert in last year and have no regrets it's an awesome stove. It's there medium size insert. It's a very well built stove and is one of the only of it's size that has a by-pass damper that is great when loading, no smoke.
That is a nice looking unit. I like how it incorporates an insert and woodstove setup. When I remodel the living room, (if I ever get that far), i want to trade my insert for a double sided since I am turning 2 rooms into one big living room. Anybody have one of the 2 sided setups?

Thanks Bowtie, one of the local dealers carries the Avalon stoves, very nice units. Bdog, I have to find a Lopi dealer so I can check that out too.

Thanks.

Okay...just got my chimney cleaned and the chimney guy said that I need to get a liner because I'm in danger of getting CO in my house. (We currently don't have a liner with a standard open fireplace w/two small doors) Can I get the liner before the stove or do you have to do this all at once to make sure the insert and liner match up as well as there is enough length to the liner for the insert to fit correctly?

I guess what I'm saying is can you do this in steps or do you have to do it all at once? I was thinking of possibly doing this myself after reading about it since my chimney is easy to get to. Is this idea, to tackle the job a bad idea?

Thanks,

Jack

http://www.appalachianstove.com/woodstove_4NI.php

Even Smaller

http://www.appalachianstove.com/woodstove_30CD.php

I have had my stove since 1991 and it burns 24-7 from October till end of April.... I have friends that have inserts and they cannot believe the heat and burn times I get out of the stove.

This year I replace the damper assembly....it was $170 shipped with EVERYTHING new including brass hardware. Instock and shipped within 3 days.

They are not $$$Cheap, but I have been very very happy and would purchase another.

Smoke When Loading

Bdog said:

I would guess that you have a problem with the draft on your chimney if you are getting smoke when loading wood. Is your insert connect to a full chimney liner?

Latest posts

Back