Best fuel cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got one of the Husqvarna combi cans and so far I really like it. Much better than the generic one I had due to the no spill spouts and the build quality is great (and I'm a Stihl man). Outside of that I always try and stick to colour coded cans (yellow for diesel, grey for 50:1, red for unleaded, etc) and I have recently added fuel tags to saw what machine they are for so anyone else knows what to do. I burn through a fair bit of fuel, but I still put preserver in my fuel every time. I know that people will drain the tank and carby when not using a saw, but living on a farm I need my equipment ready to go at all times.

I know that wranglestar had a video on some special caps you can put on a saw and use special fillers, but I find the Husqvarna to be great and universal. Just watch out if it's a hot day.. you'll want to vent it before trying to fill your saw..

H410-0955.png

The canister should be slickly light in color and if it is plastic, thicker means better and we do not fill it up completely

I use a round black metal can with a large screw on fill cap and a small spout 2 gallon capacity.t in the days of old these cans were railroad issue to an employee whose duties were filling all the signal lights in the yards with coal oil.
Here is my tip for all of you who hate the plastic cans with no vents
Drill a 1/2 inch in hole in the handle at the back of the can push a wire threw the 1/2 hole out the pour hole.Buy a tubeless tire rubber valve stem take out the valve core tape the rubber valve plug on the wire pull it out the 1/2 hole the groove in the rubber valve will seat in the 1/2 hole remove the valve core put a valve cap on it and your set with a vented leak proof can.
Now for the legal stuff
Do this at your own risk
Putting this on a gas can could be illegal
Installing valve stems in plastic gas cans has been known to cause cancer in the testicles of weasels .
Using five gallon with this modification has been known to severely cut down on the amount and level of cuss words uttered by the user.
Kash

So I thought a 1/4" nylon bolt tapped into the handle would be great...

20210320_215407.jpg

Ground a notch into a 1/4-20 nylon bolt and tapped a hole into the gas can

20210320_220755.jpg

Plugged up

20210320_220355.jpg
Notch vent

20210320_220924.jpg

Full vent

It works great, but eventually those nylon threads will go. When that happens, gonna put a steel tee nut in there with some gas resistant FIPG, and that will probably last forever. I don't think there is any static spark hazard there if it is grounded to the can with steel wire?

Next one I modify will be steel.

If you drill holes in plastic cans, remember to flush the bits of plastic out unless you want to pick them out of your filters/carbs/fuel injectors later.

I think I am gonna like this gas can much better now, thanks for the idea!

I've started using the Wavian Nato cans the last few years. I have 1 gal, 2 gal and 5 gal sizes. They are back ordered and hard to get at times. Here is the 2 gallon sized picture. I wrote all over it for multiple users to get the message.
View attachment 895241View attachment 895242

I love Jerry cans for my 100LL storage. Had no idea they made smaller than the 5 gallon models!

I need a couple of these. Just beware of the Chinese knock-offs. I got true NATO cans from the UK. They're expensive, but built like tanks.

Short term plastic is fine. Long term metal is the best. Plastic cans will allow evaporation where as steel will not. Steel also blocks sun light witch can degrade fuel over time. Take a plastic and steel can of the same size and fill both then store them for a few months. The steel can will still be full, the plastic can will have less fuel then when you topped it off.

Oh man. I’ve had good luck so far with the No-Spill cans. I have a couple of the Sceptre 5gal cans as well. Had high hopes... The cans are solid, but the epa spouts are complete garbage.

For chainsaws I splurged on one of the Husky dual cans. Overall I like it. The spring loaded cap on the gas side sticks open a bit now. Not ideal, but easy to slide it shut as you lift the can away. I keep a spare sqwench, round and flat files and a couple small wedges in it. It was $38 when I bought. At current prices it’s not worth it (IMO).
Same experience with the Husky can - gas side sticks and must be pulled to close rather than closing automatically as spout is lifted from fill hole. I suspect ethanol is a factor, perhaps the factor. Apparently the Combi can is not sold in the US. And yes, the current prices are outrageous.

I just got one of the Husqvarna combi cans and so far I really like it. Much better than the generic one I had due to the no spill spouts and the build quality is great (and I'm a Stihl man). Outside of that I always try and stick to colour coded cans (yellow for diesel, grey for 50:1, red for unleaded, etc) and I have recently added fuel tags to saw what machine they are for so anyone else knows what to do. I burn through a fair bit of fuel, but I still put preserver in my fuel every time. I know that people will drain the tank and carby when not using a saw, but living on a farm I need my equipment ready to go at all times.

I know that wranglestar had a video on some special caps you can put on a saw and use special fillers, but I find the Husqvarna to be great and universal. Just watch out if it's a hot day.. you'll want to vent it before trying to fill your saw..

View attachment 895899
+1 These are awesome for fuel. (at least the Jred branded ones). Literally you'll never spill again!
Also, nice to have a good place for a spare chain or two and other small tools.

On the negative, The file-holders are a little bit iffy and you'll lose large-handled files moving through brush.

EDIT: Wow, those prices in the US are crazy; the cans run about USD 50 here in Sweden.

+1 These are awesome for fuel. (at least the Jred branded ones). Literally you'll never spill again!
Also, nice to have a good place for a spare chain or two and other small tools.

On the negative, The file-holders are a little bit iffy and you'll lose large-handled files moving through brush.

EDIT: Wow, those prices in the US are crazy; the cans run about USD 50 here in Sweden.
I paid $65aud for mine. Yes, the file holder is a bit crap. I'd rather 2x tool boxes but I can't find anyone selling the parts..

Back