Best fuel cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short term plastic is fine. Long term metal is the best. Plastic cans will allow evaporation where as steel will not. Steel also blocks sun light witch can degrade fuel over time. Take a plastic and steel can of the same size and fill both then store them for a few months. The steel can will still be full, the plastic can will have less fuel then when you topped it off.
I've never had this issue

Same experience with the Husky can - gas side sticks and must be pulled to close rather than closing automatically as spout is lifted from fill hole. I suspect ethanol is a factor, perhaps the factor. Apparently the Combi can is not sold in the US. And yes, the current prices are outrageous.
Thankfully ethanol in fuel isn't the norm here and must be identified at point of sale, so it's never snuck in..

I've never had this issue
I have. More then once. For long term storage I have to use a steel can. Steel cans also block sun light witch I have herd can degrade fuel. I suspect when fuel expands and contracts with temps the plastic cans tend to let more vapor escape thus letting more fuel evaporate. Steel cans tend to seal better so the vapors don't leak out as much. I think plastic is also more porous then steel though they are better at puncher resistant and rust proof then steel.
I'm sure evaporation is why fuel is shipped in steel cans vs plastic. All the fuel you buy at Home Depot is always in steel cans.

I have. More then once. For long term storage I have to use a steel can. Steel cans also block sun light witch I have herd can degrade fuel. I suspect when fuel expands and contracts with temps the plastic cans tend to let more vapor escape thus letting more fuel evaporate. Steel cans tend to seal better so the vapors don't leak out as much. I think plastic is also more porous then steel though they are better at puncher resistant and rust proof then steel.
I'm sure evaporation is why fuel is shipped in steel cans vs plastic. All the fuel you buy at Home Depot is always in steel cans.
The largest plastic jherry can i have is 20lt and it can swell right up if the sun gets on it, or contract right down if it was opened when hot then we have a cold night. they seem to seal extremely well. I have had metal ones for use with my 4x4, mainly because they are more durable, but the spouts are a pain, storing the spout externally either makes a mess or you get dust in the spout which ends up in your engine. metal also creates condensation more readily than plastic does. I believe that fuel is transported in metal due to the increased durability for relatively thin walls. I don't need a jerry can to be more durable than my chainsaw, and i don't need the extra weight to carry.

On a side note, if you're storing fuel for extended periods, I assume you're adding fuel preserver to it?

Last fall I picked up one of these at Wally World to try out... so far it is working well. Essentially the same thing as the Nevr Spill (sp?) I think. The first "modern" gas can I've tried that I haven't cussed yet. Except for the very first time I used it after it sat in the sun for a bit... you can consider these things to be "self-pressurizing". And if you don't relieve that pressure before attempting to fill your saw... WHOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHH!!! Fuel everywhere. But other than that, this one works well. I'd buy another...

1616366173128.png

Last fall I picked up one of these at Wally World to try out... so far it is working well. Essentially the same thing as the Nevr Spill (sp?) I think. The first "modern" gas can I've tried that I haven't cussed yet. Except for the very first time I used it after it sat in the sun for a bit... you can consider these things to be "self-pressurizing". And if you don't relieve that pressure before attempting to fill your saw... WHOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHH!!! Fuel everywhere. But other than that, this one works well. I'd buy another...

View attachment 896245
Same thing happens with the Husky one (which i found out the hard way)

+1 These are awesome for fuel. (at least the Jred branded ones). Literally you'll never spill again!
Also, nice to have a good place for a spare chain or two and other small tools.

On the negative, The file-holders are a little bit iffy and you'll lose large-handled files moving through brush.

EDIT: Wow, those prices in the US are crazy; the cans run about USD 50 here in Sweden.
I just had word from Husqvarna that you can't buy replacement tool boxes to replace the file holder with, so that's a pain!

And, what is safer than a non-vented plastic container partially filled with a highly volatile flammable liquid... Good thing Big Brother is looking out for us, I'll tell you what.
I'm not one for politics, but i am one for saftey. In saying that, just like every other non vented jerry can, just vent it before you tilt it. I've had the good old metal ones pop open and spray me, i've had plastic ones expand til they are a ball shape and either vent well when opened or splash me depending on how i hold it. the husky one all you need to do is pull down to open the spout and it vents instantly then it's fine to use. I'd guess all of the "no spill" designs are the same. vent before you tip them. what i like is not getting oil everywhere or worrying about dust etc getting onto my spout/funnel.

I have over twenty plastic five gallon some sit over winter or months on end in other seasons.When the nearest gas station is fifty miles away you stock up.I screw the caps down tight.I have never had a plastic can full of gas with tight caps that has shrunk in volume.Any body out there that has filled a saw with a plastic tank and immeadiately put it in storage full to the brim and grabs it six months later and it has shrunk in volume please tell me.
Kash

Same experience with the Husky can - gas side sticks and must be pulled to close rather than closing automatically as spout is lifted from fill hole. I suspect ethanol is a factor, perhaps the factor. Apparently the Combi can is not sold in the US. And yes, the current prices are outrageous.
I have only ever used ethanol free fuel in that can, and all my saws. So not sure what the deal is.

I'm amazed. Things in America are usually a lot cheaper than things in the UK - but not Husqvarna combi cans!

27.99 GBP here = 39 USD (plus postage).

I might treat myself to one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-01-41.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-01-41.png
    337.4 KB · Views: 11
I have over twenty plastic five gallon some sit over winter or months on end in other seasons.When the nearest gas station is fifty miles away you stock up.I screw the caps down tight.I have never had a plastic can full of gas with tight caps that has shrunk in volume.Any body out there that has filled a saw with a plastic tank and immeadiately put it in storage full to the brim and grabs it six months later and it has shrunk in volume please tell me.
Kash
The plastic gasoline containers have a max fill line. How can someone fill a saw and still have the container full to the brim? I get your point if no head space no vapor pressure consideration.

The metal cans can have crud in them presumably from the coating. Plastic ones do not seem to. This becomes noticable when using a filtering funnel. The no spill brand have a large opening so work good when the lid is removed and a funnel is used preferable to others. I guess the nozzle is ok if the thing being filled is not of the small size.

I'm not one for politics, but i am one for saftey. In saying that, just like every other non vented jerry can, just vent it before you tilt it. I've had the good old metal ones pop open and spray me, i've had plastic ones expand til they are a ball shape and either vent well when opened or splash me depending on how i hold it. the husky one all you need to do is pull down to open the spout and it vents instantly then it's fine to use. I'd guess all of the "no spill" designs are the same. vent before you tip them. what i like is not getting oil everywhere or worrying about dust etc getting onto my spout/funnel.
when it comes to a liquid like gasoline, no doubt... Safety First! i continue to be amazed at how much pressure can build up in a fuel can from just sitting, out, trunk, etc. such as when the vent cap is removed and it goes.... SWWooooosh-h-h!

My chainsaw fuel containers are from the mid 70`s, I won`t be replacing them as they will outlast me. Todays offerings pale by comparison and spill or leak much more fuel than I ever spilled with my old cans.
I had good luck with the No Spill cans. No leaks at all.

Kash
This has got to be some regional/ weather thing - Ive never been to Texas, but I imagine it is hot there all the time. Here in Southeast alaska, I almost never have problems with fuel disappearing out of my plastic fuel jugs. The bears seem to have a taste for stihl ultra and yamalube however, but like plastic and steel jugs equally from what I hear so that can be an issue.

I personally have been using an empty one gallon Motomix jug I found at the dump. I cant tell if my saws know I didn't really pay $30 a gallon for the fuel they are eating.

Latest posts

Back