Best laid plans and HUA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished with the "Ocotopus" tree and went to fall the next victim. Talking compass direction, it wanted to fall NNW at about 355 degrees. I wanted it about due north. Figured aim the notch due north and do an "angled holding wood" back cut with the thick part of the holding wood to the East. End result? It fell at abour 350 degrees. Examination of cut showed why, I had put the thick holding wood at the west.

Probably due to fatigue. I had my head in a very dark spot by the time I made the back cut. Stump was over 4' and I had a lot of trouble getting my undercuts to meet.

Not sure yet whether where it is isn't better than where I wanted it. Gonna have to pull some sections back across the ditch again.

Harry K

I'm not sure the mods would allow a picture of Harry's head up his a$$.
Why?
latest
:D :D :D

We shouldn't be picking on Harry, anyone who has done any amount of felling, cutting or stacking has at some point earned a HUA award. Whether it was awarded or not we still earned it. If you are like me and mostly cut alone no one else see's it. Of course that doesn't mean it did not happen. :D

We shouldn't be picking on Harry, anyone who has done any amount of felling, cutting or stacking has at some point earned a HUA award. Whether it was awarded or not we still earned it. If you are like me and mostly cut alone no one else see's it. Of course that doesn't mean it did not happen. :D

I have trimmed more than one stump after felling to hide the evidence :)

Harry K

Lol

There are a couple farmer cuts out in the woods by my cabin but luckily they are pretty decayed now lol.

I have the same, you can see the evolution in the woods. Pre AS, lotta farmer cuts, after joining, gee, stumps that look more reasonable.

The funny thing is, never got any barber chairs from farmer cuts..didn't even know what a barber chair was, .I got near one once, a heavy leaner, that had a face and back cut, just not proportioned correctly.

Temps coming down to bearable levels, Been at and abpve 100 for the past 3 days so I've just stayed inthe house supposed to be low 90s tomorrow so I will go out again in the morning about 5. I will take a picture of the stump even if it breaks the camera. I'll have to work this tree backwards, from stump end up. I should be able to get a full load tomorrow if I can stant the heat long enough, nothing but blocking, noodling and loading, hardly any brush to screw with. The cut face of the log looks like a good log.

Harry K

Due to and adroit camera angle, it doesn't look too bad. One can see that I cut clear through the holding wood on the off side and there are two spots showing where cuts didn't meet up. Not shown (sorry about that) are the three sections of wedge that I beavered out to get a notch.

mes_zps3clqvchp.jpg

Problem_zpsrf6rbc3s.jpg

Now that big chunk is goint to cost some time and effort. Where I made my first blocking cut the 32" bar just cleared. the big chunk has to be over 4 ft - it is the remains of what was a 2 stem tree (I harvest ed the first one last year).
The problem is that it is laying right across what I was planning for an extension of my logging road. MS441 and I will get a workout whacking it up to moveable sizes. I'll delete that thing then lash up some cable/chain and snatch block to try to pull the remaining top off the junk. The "octopus" log is under there somewhere.

nice%20log_zpsup184wys.jpg

Nice log. I worked up and loaded everything up to that crotch. Last thing I did was cut the left going limb, chain it and pulled it out of that mess - I'll brush it out and load the good stuff first thing next trip.

Didn't accomplish much in 3 1/2 hours. Bit of brush clearance then deleted that big butt end. Tried to pull the log off that mess. Couldn't move it even with at 4 to 1 cable/snatchblock lashup. It is laying across that Octopus tree. I'll have to cut it where it crosses that log and then figure out a way to get the truck to the top. Probably have to cut up the tree is is laying on (rotten) to get it out of the way for the truck. At least the tree after this one will fall into area mostly already cleared.

Ran the 441 and 361 both dry of gas and probably another 1/4 tank each.

Check off 3 1/2 hours of good exercise.

Harry K

with those fields in the background you would think that you were somewhere in the heartland of the US. Always interesting to see the geography in other areas.

with those fields in the background you would think that you were somewhere in the heartland of the US. Always interesting to see the geography in other areas.

Those hills are mild compared to the area. The Palouse of Washington. Built from dust storms blowing in at the end of the last ice age, hundreds of feet high, mild slopes like you see on the shout side, steep 45 degrees and up to almost verticle on the north. Look just like sand dunes. This is the country that developed the leveling mechanisms on combines. Back in the early 50s I was the machine man on an old pull combine that would level 45 degees either way, on one slope I ran it right off the leveling rack and still wasn't level.

West end of the county is where one tongue of the Great Missoula Floods came through at the end of the ice age.

Harry K

Got back to work on that tree again. 1 1/2 hours spent clearing brush off the top that fell across the ditch right where the top of the octopus was. Good size brush pile now, be fun to burn next spring. Then another hour clearing brush on this side.

Tried to pull the rest of the tree. Even a 4x1 rigging wouldn't budge it. The picture was taken when I tried to pull it with a 2x1 - had to rerig.

stuck_zpstwrntvre.jpg

Cut it where it was laying across the octopus tree.

cut%20free_zpslxbsjowo.jpg

pulled_zpsyhjiaazh.jpg

4x1 finally moved it out onto the open area. Blocked that section and then whimped out and left without hauling any of the wood. Going back again tomorrow to see about pulling that stem that I cut free sticking almost sstraight up. Goes out a long way on the other side of that big octopus log.

Dunno about that rotten log. It looks like I might have to cut it up to get a road through it.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back