best log splitter mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was reading another thread on here and thought I would post this and see what people have done to make their splitters better for their situation. If anyone has a custom chute or table between a splitter and conveyor - thats what im working on now . aaannnd go !

I have had some stuff at a small shop to be machined and welded up (for three weeks now) to put four wheels under the SuperSplit. It will allow me to tow it with the quad and position more easily by hand. (I'm glad I didn't take the splitter there.) Once done, it will bolt in position, replacing the existing leg/axle, which will be moved to the table/wedge end.
I built a staging trailer using a John Deere lawn tractor front and rear axle. actually I built the front axle first so I could move the conveyor with the quad. I was afraid the conveyor alone would put to much tongue weight on the quad rear axle. Lowering the conveyor shifts the weight off the tongue, however Built-Rite failed to put grease zerks in a crucial pivot point when they built it nine years ago, making any change in elevation a major pain the last two years. The reese hitch tube is removed when the conveyor is in use. The last photo is fork tubes added to a SS.IMG_1460.jpg IMG_0450.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_3674.jpg

Another picture post. This is a leg/axle and go kart spindles for SS four wheel wagon mod that I dropped off for cutting and welding up. The leg will be cut above axle gussets, and a side to side pivot added for uneven ground. The axle ends will be shortened to accommodate the spindle knuckle distance, so they remain equal width as the rear wheels, and the center of the axle angle iron will get boxed out to accommodate a pivot plate for steering/tie rod ends and connect to the wagon tongue. The existing axle will unbolt and move to the wedge end, and this steer axle will bolt under the engine. Then the splitter table can butt up to the conveyor, the splitter can be towed with the quad, and more easily moved by hand. Adding the fork tubes made the table end quit heavy and difficult to move hand on anything but a hard surface. Been way too long at the shop however. Hopefully it will be worth the wait when done.
Edit: I actually suggested this idea to Paul as a bolt-on option in an email to SS two years ago with no response. IMG_3772.jpgIMG_3769.jpg
Edit: Check with the machine shop earlier today. Tentatively, they will get to fabbing it Tuesday.

I'd like to make something to make it easier to pick up the SS with a grapple bucket. Right now I use a strap and shacklet but it takes an extra person to throw the strap over the grapple teeth. It would be nice to have something stand up on its own that I could drive up and grab.

I'd like to make something to make it easier to pick up the SS with a grapple bucket.
Mobility is a shortcoming of the SS. It is heavily top weighted, somewhat narrow, and the hitch if you have one, is on the wrong end.

Joesell: Maybe you could play with this idea. Bolt or weld a receiver tube under the engine mounting tube that houses the rack, or better yet, go longer and attach to bottom of beam. Hmm. Axle mount is there. Bolt the receiver tube to the side of both of the legs. Make a large rectangle, of square or round tube, say 42" wide x 24" high. On the center line of the top tube and at 90* weld a tube to fit the receiver. Just thinking. The shape might have to be more three dimensional as in a extruded triangular shape, the perimeter being tubing, as to not roll in the grapple, now having a flat bottom to the shape. You could leave it on, or unpin it when splitting. If you wanted, it could be skinned and used as a tool box, gas can tote. Just thinking out load here. Run with it... Just be sure to shut the fuel off when moving it or you may find fuel in the oil. That's what I'm told for towing, and assume this to be no different.

Joesell: You have me thinking. I could extend my fork tubes to the rear of the engine and add a small tool box mounted on top of them to keep firewood tools handy. 32" peavey, small wrenches for SS and big box wrenches for conveyor, pulp hook, maybe small chainsaw kit, grease gun, L bar, WD-40, puddy knife, etc. It all adds up.

I have best of both worlds with the big and heavy logs. I keep modding this thing to my liking
Big logs are split by driving to them and setting bottom splitter on top and get them down to size
Then when I want I just switch hoses and use top splitter with 4 way wedge
Bottom pic is what I welded on top of bottom splitter and kept modding
WRoGceKtEESBHku-LJIhCTY5Q4xN4NA2rxC8pL5AbNSli9M3z3n40cCp2dU3OF5gOTCQnbD9Ui-SCJ0rTZTJyJq9ulCjUiB7sVNM-cHvBxGVpyG470dmWPMZ3L9alAo4YpLfHZz-5BHDNjWnRtuXVvFLaNB511bjtMTxUMi9Dg8v9EQ8_QGy9YJ3H3wvpAPCT4P-1l3RcGRXp9Xnupsjq5zR-chkErVBPQMp1gUBzOdFyPH9d7DTuesh7PgyB7qnur3H8up6xIhTiZywb2TjIiDhPk-mCqA6EMilpTyIPxpBDrgnQd1j4DiH2QYL7ssj6SJo52aKDDLDAwRqL2cQFFcyPzhXsMWjuwyCbt6s9i8S-8_z1aFKi_Br_XaEdSDSs-Ypd7L52wBJ0whGUDwJ6CTECFBpuiJqfGhxfb5Mi_mBupkxXroTrdi-d4Ll8W1ROJ9t4Lb7tRKpOrCFwLB_51T8LwRWe6Iyyg7aMsASQE3BqF1FeuaBUc24Oj6DVwivWf7YcdAiOuus4S5NebDalKHIbkqVxcFi1hTneW-C05ssEvp6i6BMvdt3n5ZavTBO1cd8gAMimJApRt8FmH5dYvkUm-Kv5VpVWkJTP3uQVzWCh2D-=w479-h638-no

h1iK1x_hHsEorj4n3UPWFsQ-jDuujRxil3mhn3rRaMXpD4Kq9vDjLRYAk9oFBhKBRgDXLYbXfroLgmYKNOuC7LOaPzSjo-zau7Hteefr1HA_k9GzqyClQqGPHeA-paGMSWssyyK2sKi3X8NRvD4tVneeIOz3GTdaDw6T0lAogMq6vs2cGqG2-ZmTxSLSBuvjRdNjPzV4y6mvJ16j20kDO2BT81UsobtbiCl4o4x3uyarCFotW41rne3Xaf1xq0WSlsDFCCRzz0XogIk_D0D0C4VuRoPkMX1mLCzxe7nFTI2NZ9GM72eFOj0IK5Am-z-ttXNIk412VZhScP-WfTeCfT6lIFAiXnaoJKkDJP3aZc7atyMkvhFa6-TxHPgX6wdQaQ82MpqykgldcY2Sn1TLQ_PgkUYetpGrNteY1ibeo0PwD_aEP_7_TdLATZ1gOUHVhFeUnA0hy2h2wnwNShZrjr_yI46mz-xTbU2ip_oe7Q3ysOZryKYoqf5-PXBnnTXYO-jk9MmlHUBXxsOdoWjhK9SCDWBPrPG0w3wCUrMxPtamDffPV5SWC4OmNzobUvrrIMlLarLNOVNRKwCb0KVJdPxluNAeF8JxUde3QzoMQHSMod75=w851-h638-no
CAyXEAk9djQDZvBi7CdKRGDmHUZBdmvXOJrx5aTTlUkhuuTBWw0DSoAMjv1vrGy07YyPSwv8k97dTyZhm0g-nXSMNUeQrTZxX9lUexi4hhPdTsC201BhK-VNUU8eqN90YXx3jm5IHuzwlAgdcO6GYrINA6UTkqzKXYUDbeEpYasCGtbS-QnC6vPH5K-D5hiHY9S3ZRO_lPvB8dzpzbRs_4MwybXfwyXKWR-7rxrJEUIcvH4G3uFumQyRZNgSec9R8nkc9r6pY6NMHQ7dfR0TfCLgNULJ54kke8UtqRfe2DAbI6zDlEpJbbxRRR0FfDZ3Li1u8DHzjjXX-NeSFtpCgmhi5AeYtBpUhrynABoCMgLCEFNTpvvcYXlcPCsCckoVU1R0H4LIhFQSlkb-enqeJ-GhSDll6Zhl62rIgLU1mU0FxoAa8qTADzTGfPAw-sYY6faFr7O82PwsHmagI4nxQER5njpVRrUq0KP9LTM_bpJUgN9GcRiJ_e0doqee-3G-mxVSelNKwJa35Ot4q-wkx8iKVmjIWgJubviqQOGDufdAg4aV8rhJaZB3DSFutj9DxXbgq0Uf6W1WwBsAyQWccBeUb3_dReJ1NOKuxcXAaZ8S46PL=w447-h336-no

I turned an heirloom piece into something I can use for any size round in my areaThe first step was raising it, then, after larger trees, I had the problem of getting the round on the beam. Long story short, here is my mod.
file2.png file1-1.jpeg

Latest posts

Back