Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
took a couple new pics last night. One with the 2008 sk650 next to my brand new sk650. Can anyone tell which is which?

second pic is of the wide aggressive track next to the narrow turf track in case anyone is curious.

AP

took a couple new pics last night. One with the 2008 sk650 next to my brand new sk650. Can anyone tell which is which?

second pic is of the wide aggressive track next to the narrow turf track in case anyone is curious.

AP

Is that mesh in the back of the bucket? That's a really good idea. Your build or did you buy it that way?

Is that mesh in the back of the bucket? That's a really good idea. Your build or did you buy it that way?

bought it that way. came with a mini I bought earlier this year. (actually bought the mini just so I could get the bucket, then resold the minii).

How's the mt50 running?

bought it that way. came with a mini I bought earlier this year. (actually bought the mini just so I could get the bucket, then resold the minii).

How's the mt50 running?

Oh boy, I wasn't gonna say anything but I've about had it with the local Bobcat guys. After they pulled the engine this fall to replace the gas tank I ran it on 2 jobs, maybe 2 hours tops and it started leaking radiator fluid everywhere. Obviously pissed I took it back to them to get fixed figuring if it was a bad hose it should never have been put back on if it wouldn't hold up. A few weeks later ( we were slow and I didn't need it ) I called up to check the status and he said it was ready to go, the hydraulic leak had been fixed. What? One of the hoses on the grapple had been leaking a bit, which I was well aware of, but unconcerned with, I wanted to know why coolant was leaking. So they said they'd get right on it. I let it go a few more weeks till I called up last week to check the status. They had pressure tested and everything, couldn't find the leak, must have been over full from the previous work. Ok, great, I'm thinking, no bill, I'll swing in to get it Monday. I got there hit the key and my bucket starts curling back, go to shut the valve and the lever snaps off, it was frozen open. Whoever parked it somehow managed to leave the curl valve open, moisture got in there and it froze. Of course, they said they would take care of it and have it ready today. So I go to pick it up today, put it on the trailer, and go inside to make sure all was good and he handed me a bill for $300. $150 for the hydraulic fix that I didn't authorize and $150 for the snapped lever that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't left the valve open to freeze. Needless to say, I didn't pay and will be talking to the manager tomorrow. Pretty pissed right now. Sorry for the rant, but you asked. lol Has nothing to do with the machine, really, and this isn't the first issue I've had with my local dealer. Sucks because bobcat makes some nice stuff but if my local support isn't there, there's really no point in me sticking with them. Plenty of other minis on the market.

Oh boy, I wasn't gonna say anything but I've about had it with the local Bobcat guys. After they pulled the engine this fall to replace the gas tank I ran it on 2 jobs, maybe 2 hours tops and it started leaking radiator fluid everywhere. Obviously pissed I took it back to them to get fixed figuring if it was a bad hose it should never have been put back on if it wouldn't hold up. A few weeks later ( we were slow and I didn't need it ) I called up to check the status and he said it was ready to go, the hydraulic leak had been fixed. What? One of the hoses on the grapple had been leaking a bit, which I was well aware of, but unconcerned with, I wanted to know why coolant was leaking. So they said they'd get right on it. I let it go a few more weeks till I called up last week to check the status. They had pressure tested and everything, couldn't find the leak, must have been over full from the previous work. Ok, great, I'm thinking, no bill, I'll swing in to get it Monday. I got there hit the key and my bucket starts curling back, go to shut the valve and the lever snaps off, it was frozen open. Whoever parked it somehow managed to leave the curl valve open, moisture got in there and it froze. Of course, they said they would take care of it and have it ready today. So I go to pick it up today, put it on the trailer, and go inside to make sure all was good and he handed me a bill for $300. $150 for the hydraulic fix that I didn't authorize and $150 for the snapped lever that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't left the valve open to freeze. Needless to say, I didn't pay and will be talking to the manager tomorrow. Pretty pissed right now. Sorry for the rant, but you asked. lol Has nothing to do with the machine, really, and this isn't the first issue I've had with my local dealer. Sucks because bobcat makes some nice stuff but if my local support isn't there, there's really no point in me sticking with them. Plenty of other minis on the market.

SUCKS WHEN DEALER SUPPORT ISN'T THERE. There's an sk650 just beckoning you, chris...:msp_biggrin:

let me know how that BMG scoop attachment works out - curious if it will hold up or start bending/denting.
I have only one stump clean up with it, so far so good, but I will let you know how it works out. The scoop looks well made and solid so time will tell. P.S. I would love to get the trencher but not right now.

I dont have a scoop I use my bocket. Its nice when you can clean out a stump faster than it takes to grind it.

It is, stump chips load in the truck SO much easier than with a tarp, fork, or a garbage can. A real time and back saver.

Where'd you get that scoop? How much did you pay? I looked at the top notch equipment site and couldn't find it. Currently I rarely clean up stump chips, we just spread em out. If I had that thing I would be cleaning them up for about the same price.

Where'd you get that scoop? How much did you pay? I looked at the top notch equipment site and couldn't find it. Currently I rarely clean up stump chips, we just spread em out. If I had that thing I would be cleaning them up for about the same price.

I think dave quoted me around $700 when I looked into it before selling the BM grapple to you.

I payed $700 from Top Notch. Item# TNE-1060. It is a little hard to find on their site, but if I remember right you need to click on the BMG window and there is a sub window for the attachments.

Today we looked at the dw at the New England Grows show. We were very impressed. We have had 2 dingos and are looking for a new one. The dw seems to be much better built than the dingos. Was impressed that most of the things we don't like about the dingo were addressed on the dw. Brand new Dingo 525 no bucket $24,500, Dw with bucket $19,500. Our only concern was the hydraulic track motors getting beat up, don't seem protected as well as the dingo. Hopefully we can run the dw in the next few weeks but seems like a no brainer, more machine for lesss money.

I was also wondering if anyone has had trouble getting parts from dw?

Only have ~40 hours on meter, so no parts needed. Incidently, the dealer made good on oil/hydraulic filters & engine oil for my SK650 which were supposed to have been changed at time of purchase. Delivered by territory sales rep in person to my location, so am pretty appreciative thus far.

Was hoping to buy a hydraulic thumb for the stock bucket to just get by for now, but manufacturers I found in the USA off the internet will not ship to Canada, and two local machine shops want between $800 - 1050 to build one. Too much for too little, plus hoses & couplers are extra on top of that. Probably just gonna try to scrape up enough coin over the next couple of months to buy either a BMG or Toro 2251 grapple rake. Even at 3X the price, (up here) I think it will be 10X better than just a thumb.

Only have ~40 hours on meter, so no parts needed. Incidently, the dealer made good on oil/hydraulic filters & engine oil for my SK650 which were supposed to have been changed at time of purchase. Delivered by territory sales rep in person to my location, so am pretty appreciative thus far.

Was hoping to buy a hydraulic thumb for the stock bucket to just get by for now, but manufacturers I found in the USA off the internet will not ship to Canada, and two local machine shops want between $800 - 1050 to build one. Too much for too little, plus hoses & couplers are extra on top of that. Probably just gonna try to scrape up enough coin over the next couple of months to buy either a BMG or Toro 2251 grapple rake. Even at 3X the price, (up here) I think it will be 10X better than just a thumb.

You're talking to the wrong welding shops. Couldn't cost more than $500 to build a thumb grapple from scratch and that should include the cylinder. Pretty easy to mount to standard bucket. I'd notch out the sides to make it more of a flat bucket - that will enable easier picking up of brush and logs. I used this type of bucket grapple for 2 years before selling it to blakesmaster who, I believe still uses it on his mt50. Not a perfect grapple but pretty cost effective. I think you just need to find a different welding shop.

AP

Machine shops up this way want $75.00/hr labour + materials. May just fab my own, but cutting out the two arms is gonna take some doing. The one place I went to said they would do up a CAD drawing to come up with an estimate for around $35.00. He calls this morning and says their build will come out as $1050. When I told him to forget it, he said I owe them $100.00 for the plans. (which don't even have measurements listed on them). It gets really irritating, quickly. The phone is exactly ringing off the hook right now with tree work coming in.
Toro dealer also called back this morning - has a used (repo) 22521 grapple - wants $2500. (+taxes) vs $2960 for a new one.

The phone is exactly ringing off the hook right now with tree work coming in.
Ooops -typo. should read ISN'T, lol.

Back