Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sold

pending payment, the mt50 and attachments are sold.

Selling one of my two ditch witch sk650s. (will keep whichever doesn't sell). Both are 32hp kubota dsl machines with wide tracks (42" wide). will lift 1300lbs.

One is 2007 with 530hrs, 75% wide tracks, $14,500 obo

Other is 2006 with 960hrs, 50% wide tracks, $12,500 obo

Narrow tracks can be put on either machine to make it only 36" wide. Easy and inexpensive to do.

42" bucket will come with either machine.

Looking for a newer model sc252 with low hours. would consider taking one on trade plus some cash for the sk650.

scott 605-228-9350

Last edited:
Changed tracks from narrow to wide on SK 650 today. A bit of an ordeal gettig the darn brake pin bolts loosened and then re-assembled in the wide track configuration. Really long skinny extra-terrestrial fingers woulda been an asset. View attachment 234977

Does anyone run aftermarket tracks on their DW. We have put 75 hrs on or new dw and the only thing i would like to change is the tracks. I would like to get something similar to the tracks on our dingo. I have to take it to the dealer tommorrow because something snapped in the bucket curl piston. They said it is a quick fix. What a difference when you jump between the two machines.

The $300.00 (each) 9" tracks I put on are aftermarket - found a supplier over the internet located in Toronto.
I never bothered (but am curious) to find out what the DW dealer wanted for a pair; at the time of machine purchase I asked him what it would cost to substitute wide tracks for the narrow ones, and he said "a lot". He recommended I wear out the narrow tracks and then bring the unit in for them to service. (2 & 1/2 - 3 hour drive each way. No thanks)

There are aftermarket tracks for sale on eBay, but shipping to Canada is very much cost prohibitive.

The dw tracks are about $450 each. Even their turf tracks are more aggressive than i am looking for. We use it mainly on grass, the tread on the dingo tracks works very well for us.

So Scott, we need to chat.....can you send me a PM with your phone number again?

I would like to know a little history of the engine that was put on in the interm period where you did not own the machine......or who I can talk to in regard to that.

The 24hp honda now has a connecting rod through the side of the block.

-Mike

So Scott, we need to chat.....can you send me a PM with your phone number again?

I would like to know a little history of the engine that was put on in the interm period where you did not own the machine......or who I can talk to in regard to that.

The 24hp honda now has a connecting rod through the side of the block.

-Mike

sorry to hear that, Mike. I called and left you a voicemail. Keith with Patriot Tree Co in Colorado owned that machine after me, then I sold him one of my sk650s and took the sk500 back in trade and resold it to you. Before me, it was owned by American Ford in Glendive, MT. They, I believe, were the ones who put in the new Honda engine at 644hrs. David Hill is the owner/manager that I dealt with there. his phone is 406-345-3673.

Other than general maintenance, I had no need to do anything to the engine while I owned it so I really can't give you much history in regard to any work done on it unless Keith or Dave can offer some insight.

Again, sorry to hear about the engine. Back at the beginning of march you texted and said it was running great so I'm surprised to hear about the thrown rod. That honda should have lasted 4 thousand more hours under normal conditions.

Last edited:
saw this combo chipper trailer on CL and thought it was a good idea, kind of a small chipper to use with a mini but would be good alsom to do small to medium removals and bring the stump grinder on the same truck, posted it in the "finished pain and graphics" post too but fits here too,
Brush Bandit/Skidloader trailer combo
Paul

Found Out Some Stuff:

American Ford likes to buy stuff from auctions.....then resell it. They did not check the machine out that well, and it came with whatever engine was in it with some kind of marking on it stating the replacement....soooo....

I think that's a load of bull and you happened to get a machine who's jury rigged governor sometimes worked until the makeshift bench ground wire slipped and became loose enough to where it would throttle up but not do much after that. I believe there were more hours on that engine.....like it was a replacement but it was a used engine....and that it was replaced at 644 hours.....but with an engine that had more like 2500 on it. Combine that with the governor/over and under revving...../every so often the machine getting flipped forward then let down.....

I just caught the tail end of it.....fixed the governor.....and the machine ran great until the above situation caught up to it...

Any input, PatriotTreeCo? Just trying to find out where the bench ground piano wire came from originally.

-Mike

Hey Limbwalker sorry to hear about your troubles with that ditchwitch. I never had to many problems with it, I did notice it occasionally had trouble revving up, I always thought it was a throttle issue. I suspected that engine wasn't new, only because I always suspect that when someone tells me it has a new engine, new tranny, etc. and there is no receipt for it.

You should check this place out for a new motor if you are gonna do it yourself, they seem to have some good prices.

Engine Search by Small Engine Warehouse

Any rate she's getting a nice new Kohler 27hp this time. I'm not a big fan of the Honda.

Just wondering why you would want to put a Kohler engine in the SK 500 rather than going back to the 25hp Honda that was in there? The Honda is a better engine than the Kohler, what air filter is on the Kohler? Are you going to have fitment issues with the new Kohler? Sometimes it is easier to go back to the oem parts than try and reinvent the wheel. I'm sure there is a price differnce and that is maybe the reason for going with the Kohler, but when it comes time to sell the machine it is nice to have it like it was from the factory.

Sorry to hear that the engine went, I had an engine blow on a Dodge V10 last year with 60k miles. Sometimes you just never know, the risk a guy takes when buying used equipment. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes :)
@ Keith, the issue with "revving up" if you ever encounter it again, is the governor, not working like it should. If you get under a load the governor should noticeably increase throttle to keep the engine speed consistant with your load. If it doesn't, and you need to bump the throttle.....something is wrong.
Not busting on anyone, just some enlightenment for some slightly less mechanically inclined tree guys.

No worries.

The engine could have blown up on either of us, it just happened to pick the last guy in line who actually fixed the governor problem.....

Pop goes the weasel!

And I want to put a Kohler on it because A. It's largely American made. B. Parts are cheaper and readily available if you happen to need them. C. Every piece of equipment i've had a Kohler on ran forever...including my Jacobsen garden tractor from 1951......

If it weren't for engines like Kohler, Honda would not be able to steal the good ideas and modify them a bit to call them their own.

Maybe I'm a little biased, I mean, we did win the war after all......

As for the fitment, they put Kohler CH-740s two cylinder 27 hp gas engines on the newer sk500's........, and it looks like i can get one ready to fit in for around 2g's and some change......direct bolt in replacement.

Gotta get wrenchin.

Latest posts

Back