best saw choices for cutting fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a Husky 455 or 460, IMO they give homeowner/non-pro user the best bang for their buck. Yes there are draw backs heavier then the same cc pro-model and use a cheaper engine block but they are also over $100 to $150 cheaper then the pro-model.

Both take up to 20" bars and in softwood 24" bars. Great firewood saw for the money check them out.

Last edited:
stihl ms310 for $400

If you are cutting 12'' to 20'' hardwood for the most part you would be happier with a 60cc saw than a 50cc trust me!!!! Now I would buy the ms310 for $400 with a 18'' bar and it will cut all of your needs for years.

If you are cutting 12'' to 20'' hardwood for the most part you would be happier with a 60cc saw than a 50cc trust me!!!! Now I would buy the ms310 for $400 with a 18'' bar and it will cut all of your needs for years.

Second this
Second this
Second this...

I feel like the words have been stolen out of my mouth...

the price isnt much of a difference...and your gonna get a lot more power. The are both awesome saws...but i would def. go a little larger and be happy...

Canyon

Cart before the guy pulling the cart

This is so wrong.

Buy the saw, then figure out which wood is good for what that dealer stuck you with.

I am in Kansas City and have lots of Stihl dealers and a couple of Husky dealers.

Have been looking at Stihl 270, 270C, 290.

Also Husky 345, 353.

Kinda like the slightly lighter weight and slightly lower cost of the Husky.

Looking to fell 18 to 20" diameter trees and cut into firewood.

Want something that will last me for years and will be reliable.

Any thoughts on my list of saws? Recommendations?

Ok with spending in the $300 to $400 range.

Thank you.

You would do much better with a bigger saw 60 to 75 cc. Mabe look for a good used saw with good service and parts being easy to find in your area.
In Stihl I would say 034 up to 046 anything inbetween. Dolmar or makita 64 00 to 7900.

what diameter wood are u cutting.the stihl 290 super is an excellent saw have one for 15 years.the other saw to look at is the dolmar 5100s I hear its an excellent saw light weight and reliable.the only saws I run are stihls but I hear dolmar has stepped up to the plate.

The MS290 never was an excellent saw for lots of reasons, not even close to, but they tend to hold up pretty good..... :censored:
The MS280 is a much better option, but still a bit on the heavy side for the power.

The Dolmar 5100S on the other hand, is a truely excellent saw, for just a tad more money. :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Hot Saws In The South Bay Area

Got word today that 2 different stihl dealerships have been broken into in the south bay area over the last 4 days, roughly 29 saws ripped off between the two from the information I have.

well being so old and being an echo dealer its all i would ever use..if your looking for a convenient easy to use saw i would go with the 5000 model great for a beginner also..
-jerry

I bought a MS310 a month ago. So far I'm very happy with it. 18" bar with RSC. Cuts like crazy and is still getting stronger with every tank of gas. That is what I would go with. Good general saw with a solid proven track record.

Matt

I bought a MS310 a month ago. So far I'm very happy with it. 18" bar with RSC. Cuts like crazy and is still getting stronger with every tank of gas. That is what I would go with. Good general saw with a solid proven track record.

Matt

I bought a MS 310 for my grandpa and he uses it all the time i have used it a few times...great saw. Just reading around according Stihl's web page....the 310 and 390 are the same weight.

Not sure how that is working...never have ran the 390

why is the 310 not considered a pro saw?
Is it the weight? What is different about its construction?

The guy had a pickup down there backed up to the tree. Easy to load. I drive the white truck parked next to the school buses at Mikes garage...Rick

Sounds easy, but not me! The only thing that i have cut up so far by Mike's Garage are vehicles! :)

My cousin just bought a ms310 and love's it!

290,310,&390 use mostly the same parts mass produced and put together in a cheaper assymbly design to keep the cost down. More plastic,some sacrifice in weight and bulk. Professional every day use you will wear them out quicker then pro Stihls. Cutting 1 or 2 households wood supply and some intermittent use, they last a very long time usually, with reasonably good maintnence.

They are of an entirely different physical design. The upper half of the crankcase is integral to the cylinder (rather than two crankcase halves with a cylinder bolted to the assembled crankcase). This is a less rebuildable design, and relies on a plastic engine cradle/oil tank to become a saw. Extra parts, extra bulk, extra plastic, with the only possible benefit being less machining and such on the production side.

The port timing of these saws is also relatively low-performance when compared to the "pro" saws.

it's not about the saw

this question gets asked a million times and the answers are all the same.

1) stihl sucks, get a husqvarna

2) husqvarna sucks, get a stihl

there's a reason for this. both companies have loyal followers because for there own reasons, there both awsome! what you need to be looking for is a good chainsaw dealer. the ones that know how to work on them and that you feel comfortable with. then ask THEM which one to go with giving your needs and budget. PERIOD!

I'm going to have to agree with everyone on the 310. I bought one back in May and couldn't be happier. It pulls my 20" bar through some pretty nasty stuff without a problem. If you do get it, I highly advise pulling off the POS safety chain and only keeping it around as a spare.

That said, I agree with the guy above me. Stihl and Husky both make great saws. So find a dealer you like and go from there. I went Stihl because I liked the dealer. My grandfather also has a 026 or 028 (cant remember which one) that he's had for over 20 years and it still runs like champ. Kinda speaks for the durability of a Stihl.

Latest posts

Back