Best saw for around $250(us)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowman

Reaction score
I am in the market to get my first chainsaw. My wife has approved a budget of around $250. We are soon to be building a house on a heavily wooded 1.5 acre plot of land. Most of the saws use will be cutting down smaller trees and large limbs. I don't need a huge saw nor do I need a really powerful saw. I just want to buy one the better home user saws on the market. I am looking at the Stihl 210c and the Echo CS345. Both can be purchased new in my price range. Any suggestions?

check the stihl mini boss. i got one for smaller jobs around the home. godd, small strong saw.

For that price range, I'd go for a Stihl 025 (MS250), new they're closer to $300. While I really love the 026, new it's more like $400.

From my real limited experience on a used one, and the experience of a bunch of hard users that I've talked to, I'd stay away from the Echos.

Don't know the price, and it's been a couple years ago now, but one tree company was having real good luch with the Komatsu Red Max top handle saw- although I'd stay away from top handle designs in general due much more kickback potential.

For a little less money, I was issued a Husky 141 for my work truck when I lived in TN. At first I resented such a cheap low-powered saw. It seems like I could always hear the scape of metal on metal when the chain was turning, but my oil was always almost all used up every time I was out of gas and I never had any abnormal wear. I always had plenty of power for the kind of jobs that you're talking about, and really no reason to complain (other than it had the habit of wrapping weeds around the sprocket when I got into brush). So I, after several gallons of gas thru it, I came to really appreciate it. It's around $200 or so new.

I got a slightly used Husqvarna 55R from someone I know for $185.00. With shipping and accessories, extra chains, etc. I got it for $225.00. I am extremely happy with it. Check/ask around, someone may have a deal for you.

New it can be had for less than 300.

Good luck!

The Echo 345 is a good saw. I would put it in between a homeowner grade saw and a pro saw. The motor is solid and will last forever. I used the 345 as a climbing saw for a couple years and found it to be a great little saw. It will not have the power of a Stihl o26 or 025, but it's half the price.
I don't use the Echo anymore because it doesn't have the power that some of the other saws in the size class do, but they are in the $400+ price range.
My only complaint about the 345 besides lacking the power of more expensive saws, it the body is plastic and prone to breakage, but if your not climbing with it, it should not be a problem for you.
The saw has nice big handles and is easy to run, I'd say the perfect saw in your price range. If you feel you need more, used saws may be the way to go. The problem is, how good are you at knowing what a good used saw is? Ebay is full of scam artists, so be very careful if you go there.

I have a Husky 340 that I really like and it is right in your price range.
With sharp 95vp it cuts great in smaller wood. I also have the 141 and I prefer the 340 a lot more.

Bowman- you will end up cutting more than you thought on a 1.5 acre, heavily wooded area. The guys are right about buying a good used saw instead of new junk. For me there are only two types of saws, Husky or Stihl. However what is even more important than the saw is your personal safety. This is a must. Hardhat with a mesh face visor and earmuffs (pressure bandage in the top). Saw pants or chaps. Heavy steel toed boots. Good to have a whistle to use to get help if you are away from the house. Maybe get some plastic wedges, falling and bucking types. Good luck.

Place a post here that you want to purchase a good used saw from a regular member You may be able to pick up a real good saw with real decent power and years of good use left in it.

Thanks for all of the great advice. I am not throwing out any particular brand of saw. I do not however, feel comfortable buying a used saw online. I have quite a bit of experience on ebay (some good, some bad) but I do not have experience with used saws. Which is why I wouldn't know if the idle screw simply needed to be turned or if the engine needs replaced. Anyway, my premise for the post is to find a saw that is well built, safe, easy to start/maintain, and the last one I'll buy given its useage. It seems everyone has their favorites and quite frankly, that's what I want to know.

Get either a Stihl MS-250 or an MS-290 if you can stretch the budget enough. Either was will last far longer than you will need it to.

Mike Maas said:
The Echo 345 is a good saw. I would put it in between a homeowner grade saw and a pro saw. The motor is solid and will last forever. I used the 345 as a climbing saw for a couple years and found it to be a great little saw. It will not have the power of a Stihl o26 or 025, but it's half the price.
I don't use the Echo anymore because it doesn't have the power that some of the other saws in the size class do, but they are in the $400+ price range.
My only complaint about the 345 besides lacking the power of more expensive saws, it the body is plastic and prone to breakage, but if your not climbing with it, it should not be a problem for you.
The saw has nice big handles and is easy to run, I'd say the perfect saw in your price range. If you feel you need more, used saws may be the way to go. The problem is, how good are you at knowing what a good used saw is? Ebay is full of scam artists, so be very careful if you go there.
Good post, I fully agree

Bowman-

First, I heartily second Clearance's post about safety gear. Get good PPE before you bother with a saw.

Second, you're going to need good dealer support. I suggest you visit the saw shops and dealers in your area, scouting for good service, then buy the best saw you can afford in the brand your preferred dealer carries.

stihl

I have a ms 180 chainsaw it is very nice I love that little saw. It is great for cutting small trees and other stuff with out puting your back out or your budget. I would wither pick Husky or stihl not really that big of a fan of the echo.

I'd recommend a Stihl ms250 running 3/8 0.050" guage chain and 16" bar.

They generally come std with 325 low profile chain, bar & sprocket etc but convert over to the above easily. The dealer does it for me no extra charge.

Believe me, this combo kicks butt, and those 025's run real sweat in any position and start easily ... it's our knock-about ground saw for trimming and bucking etc. Being plastic chasis is very good too if your a bit slack to clean it every time you use it.

You don't need a screw driver to service the air filter, fuel and oil caps don't require a spanner either, spark plug is easy to get to.

You will do well with this. I've had contractors kicking themselves when they've bought 026's or huskys etc in this size range because the price of this saw is unbeatable value and it's performance is outstanding.

The secret is running 3/8 0.050" guage chain and 16" bar.

Husky 350 is a fast little guy, bout 300$. You will be glad you spent the 50 extra bucks and your wife will be so happy to see how happy you are! :p You can cut big wood if need be and it is real light. You can buy that model at sears or home depot.
Also if you are not already a tree man read your manual thouroghly, it is amazing what you will learn. I know many tree men (not arborists) that would be 100% better at their jobs had they only read their manuals at all. Sad huh?

Buying a saw from a member here is not like buying a saw on e-Bay, most members do not want to loose their reputation, however if you must buy new purchase something like a Stihl 025 or a Husky 55 if you can still get one (now replaced by the new 455 model) or a Stihl 026/260 which will probabbly bury you.

At least those models in the smaller displacement but quality saws, you will get a good part of your money back after a couple of years if you sell them.

Good luck ! :)

Latest posts

Back