Best saw for around $250(us)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowman said:
I am in the market to get my first chainsaw. My wife has approved a budget of around $250. We are soon to be building a house on a heavily wooded 1.5 acre plot of land. Most of the saws use will be cutting down smaller trees and large limbs. I don't need a huge saw nor do I need a really powerful saw. I just want to buy one the better home user saws on the market. I am looking at the Stihl 210c and the Echo CS345. Both can be purchased new in my price range. Any suggestions?
I'd suggest a Stihl MS270 C Wood Boss, for home and garden use. :blob2:

The local Sears guy said Sears is no longer selling Husqvarna saws. They still sell the lawn tractors, etc. but no more Husky saws.

Home Depot sells Echo but not Husqvarna. Lowes sells Husqvarna, as does Northern Tool (unless they are like Sears, which has stopped selling Husky).

What about a Makita (Dolmar) 540? Don't know what retail is, but they can be had new on ebay for around $270 + shipping. Probably the most saw for the money from what people say about the Dolmars. HD supposedly sells their (Makita) rental saws, so you would get a used saw that has had good maintenance.

What do others think of the 540? I have no Dolmar experience, but I've been thinking about one just to check one out.

Bowman,I have a very used Husqvarna 372xp that I got in 2001.It is madsens power tuned and has a Ken Dunn ported muffler.Saw still runs great but is starting to show it's age.DOES have a jb weld patch over the oil tank and only can use the outside dawg because of the patch .(user error caused hole)
If you want the saw I would like $250 out of it,will include a new 20" bar and 3 new chains.Also would send a used 20" bar and at least 12 used chians to fit that bar and a used 24"bar and 2used chains.I have made my money on this saw and have been trying to switch to all stihl saws.Price is to your door.You are more than welcome to come and try out the saw.nysawboss got my 385xp,you could contact him to check up on me. :) Dan

Dolmar 401

Check out Dolmar 401. Its built like a little pro saw. Mag case too. Opened up the muffler, ground off the limiter caps and adjusted to where it seemed to want to be (12,800) and it has been a wonderfull little saw.

Best $250 Saw

I bought a new DCS 540 Makita on ebay for $240 + ship a few months ago. A first I thought it was under powered to my Stihl 026 but after about 10 tanks of fuel it's running just as strong or stronger. It's just as light, has a little deeper tone, sounds better, and came with a 21" bar. I like this saw. I have bought parts directly from Makita, and my Stihl dealer is also a Makita power tool dealer. I don't know if this Makita( made by Dolmar) saw will be as good as my 16 year old running strong, always starts, 026. But so far so good. Have fun, shopping for saws is great!

Latest posts

Back