Best Size Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you'll have a problem towing it that short distance, especially if you keep it slow. I have a North Star from Northern Tool and I've towed that one a few times with no trouble. I sure wouldn't want to go over 40mph with it, or go a long distance though.

FWIW, I would recommend the Honda engine. I have one on my North Star and can't say enough good things about how easy it starts and how well it runs.

I bought this trailer dolly when it went on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37510

There are probably plusses and minues for every splitter. I have that 30 ton Central Hydraulics splitter you mentioned initially. The dolly makes it easy to move around on the level, but a hill is tough. Where I've been splitting is off the driveway down a (very) little hill, and I have to grunt to get it up the last few feet.

Surprisingly, it isn't hard to get it up to vertical, which is the only way I split now, after I discovered it :) . I sit on a pail. I wear ear plugs plus muffs since I'm pretty close to the engine and pump. The engine is pretty quiet though.

I've been using some plastic ramps to get it over the ball of the dolly when getting ready to move. It's pretty heavy to lift onto the ball all by itself.

I put it in the garage after every use, even in the evening, so it can't be too too bad to move around.

The cylinder isn't leaking nearly as much as it initially was. The company is sending a new one.

I've split about 5 cords with it so far. Very strong. I use it at part throttle. I'm sure the one you're getting will split just about anything you throw at it. Even if it stalls on a piece, you can always withdraw the ram, get it unjammed, and try in another spot.

If I ever have to really move it somewhere, I'll get it onto my cheapo (yes, Harbor Freight) collapsable trailer. I haven't used the feature, but I think it tilts and it's pretty close to the ground. Still wouldn't be too easy, I imagine.

The 22 ton Husky/Speedco will do you just fine. I got one for a small job/back-up 2 years ago, and it works great. I haul it on a trailer, and you can easily manuever it. ( Just try driving 30 MPH anywhere, it will drive you nuts! ) The only design flaw is the open channels in the rear which clog up quick when running horizontal. No big deal, just remember to clean them out good with compressed air, or that gunk will start rusting inside the channels. I am not a huge fan of TSC, but that splitter is a hell of a deal for $1000.00.
You can also buy the extended warranty on it, then if it breaks its their problem. I can tell you that they have never hassled me on a warranty issue, they would much rather just make you happy and get you down the road!:)

velvetfoot, yours was not the only post about HB splitter ram leaking.

last season when I was doing research on which splitter to purchase. HB was top of my list for max bang for $$, until I saw posts about ram leakage.

hard to beat robin/suberu overhead valve engines, reputation for being very close to Honda. certainly better than B&S engines.

sure hope new Ram solves your leakage issues.

one central theme usually surfaces, which is... seldom does anyone makes comment about lack of power. even when smallest 22ton splitters are mentioned.

lots of comments about slow cycle times, mine included. wish mine had a 5in ram, instead of 6in. would reduce cycle times by at least a 1/3.

VelvetFoot; said:
The cylinder isn't leaking nearly as much as it initially was. The company is sending a new one.

I hear people talk about how good the Honda engines are and I could not agree more.....as far as the GX series go. I am owner of a turf mainteance business and have several equipment with Honda GX series engines and they are bullet proof.

What about the Honda residential line? Particulary the Honda GCV160? I have seen a couple log splitters equipped with this engine. How do they compare with the B&S engines?

Thanks,
Matt

Picked up the Speeco Today

Picked up the 22-ton Speeco today ($999.99). There was room to drop the gate down or it would have been scarey---not visible in side mirrors at all. Drove 40 mph for 3-4 miles and she tracked pretty straight, than took a gravel road the rest of the way. It was a little wash-boarded and she bounced pretty good at 10 mph. Their technician put in the hydro and engine oil. I mounted a wheel-jack on the front at home. Surprised how little space it requires in the garage. Haven't run it yet, but plan to do so tomorrow.

Last edited:
Let us know how she does. I have narrowed my choice down to either the Speeco/Huskee/MTD. I was leaning towards the MTD only because I can finance it for 12 months with no interest. Another thing I like about the MTD is the fact that it has two bolted on log cradles. I could take one off and make a shelf for holding logs to be split.

good job! it'll do a good job for ya... do like velvetfoot suggested above, get a small tow dolly. makes moving around splitter a breeze.

got mine at local steve's wholesale tools for $35.

let us know how you come out on cycle times...

Mifeller; said:
Picked up the 22-ton Speeco today ($999.99). There was room to drop the gate down or it would have been scarey---not visible in side mirrors at all. Drove 40 mph for 3-4 miles and she tracked pretty straight, than took a gravel road the rest of the way. It was a little wash-boarded and she bounced pretty good at 10 mph. Their technician put in the hydro and engine oil. I mounted a wheel-jack on the front at home. Surprised how little space it requires in the garage. Haven't run it yet, but plan to do so tomorrow.

Speeco Worked Fine

The new Speeco worked like a charm today. Used the horizontal to cut some 10"-12" rounds into smaller pieces. Also tested it in the vertical on the biggest piece of red oak I could find (28" diameter by two feet tall). No sweat! The only times it slowed down or hesitated were on heavily gnarled/knotted pieces. But it never stalled and cut everything I threw at it. She cycles about as fast as one man can work (15 seconds). You can also stop the retract anywhere and start another cut if you want to. The BS 6.5 runs a little loud and I was surprised to notice the oil turning dark after only an hour's running. Will switch to synthetic in the near future. Don't think Speeco/Huskee puts a Honda on their machines any longer, but would imagine that would be a real nice package if it were available. Greatly appreciate everybody's advice regarding this purchase.

Last edited:
Yes, they do!

Speeco makes a couple log splitters with a Honda 5.5 - 27 ton and a 34 ton with a Honda 8 horse. When talking with Speeco yesterday they said they are comming out with a 50 Anniversery model with a 10 horse B&S with log craddle and electric start. Anyone hear anything about when out on the market?

Ok

OK---Looked at the 25 ton model w/Honda at a local TSC store couple years ago--was $200 to $300 more than the 22. That store doesn't have one now, so thought maybe they had dropped it. Honda must get more out of a 5.5 than BS does with a 6.5. Having tried-out a Honda snowblower, I can believe that. Can't complain about the 22 w/BS. Will see limited use---2 or 3weeks a year at a leisurely pace. Can't beat it for ease of use and easy to move and store. (Haven't heard anything on the special edition --- might become a hot collector's item!)

Last edited:
Honda engine?

I think the Honda engine is a special order and something not stocked. Sounds like you have a great set-up! Im working towards mine.

The new Speeco worked like a charm today. Used the horizontal to cut some 10"-12" rounds into smaller pieces. Also tested it in the vertical on the biggest piece of red oak I could find (28" diameter by two feet tall). No sweat! The only times it slowed down or hesitated were on heavily gnarled/knotted pieces. But it never stalled and cut everything I threw at it. She cycles about as fast as one man can work (15 seconds). You can also stop the retract anywhere and start another cut if you want to. The BS 6.5 runs a little loud and I was surprised to notice the oil turning dark after only an hour's running. Will switch to synthetic in the near future. Don't think Speeco/Huskee puts a Honda on their machines any longer, but would imagine that would be a real nice package if it were available. Greatly appreciate everybody's advice regarding this purchase.

Really glad you like your new splitter, hope it gives you many years of great service.:cheers:
Tom

Dumb Question Re: Hydro Fluid Dipstick

The Speeco has a hydro fluid dipstick attached to the base of the filler plug. Their manual does not specify whether you are supposed to check hydro level with the plug screwed completely down or just sitting on top. Tried both ways and could see little difference. I know when it comes to checking engine oil, some engines specify one method and some another.

I think the automatic compression release really makes my 9 hp motor easy to start. It pulls very easily. I've never had an engine start so easy. I can't see the need for electric start except in the dead of winter maybe.

Yah -- The Central Hydraulics looks impressive. The place where I considered buying it also rents it out for 70 per day or 300 per week. I'm sure it must be a good unit to stand up to renting. I know someone who bought one and they love it. Glad to hear it starts easy. That's a lot of HP.

This was an interesting thread to read. I think that for the guy just doing his own wood, these cheaper splitters are the way to go. I have the basic MTD 20 ton splitter for myself. I got it from one of my customers that was moving out of the area. It was hardly used and I got it for $500. Prior to that, I did everything by hand.

It does everything I need it to do. I wouldn't own one that didn't have the ability to go vertical. That feature is a must for the real big stuff. When using it in that position, I stand up another round in front of the splitter and sit on it while splitting.

These splitters don't have the quickest cycle time, but they do match my cycle time. You can split for a good while at a comfortable pace. Some people ask about speed when shopping for splitters, but you have to ask yourself how long you could keep up with a splitter with an 8 second cycle time.

As far as engines go, the GX commercial Honda is certainly the best engine out there. And for rental or commercial use, it's the only way to go. But I think that the basic Briggs or the cheaper Honda probably have as many hours in them as anyone will need when splitting their own wood. I have the Briggs and I can get quite a bit of wood split on one tank of fuel. So, similar to a snowblower, the average guy won't put that many hours on a splitter engine. Stay on top of the oil changes, and you'll be fine.

Lots of interesting stuff here. I'll put in my two cents worth too. Well, it's probably only one cent worth!

I have an old Vermeer with a 12HP Kohler. Now, you talk about bulletproof! Electric start and very reliable.

The level of the hydraulic oil doesn't matter. If it's way too low, you might suck air or overheat. Way too high and some may spill as it warms.

I'm in the senior group too and couldn't live without the vertical splitting ability. We split some BIG old gnarly pieces I couldn't begin to lift. In fact I can barely roll them due to knots/branch ends on some! I sit on a chunk or kneel. There are plenty of grandkids here, so I have them roll chunks to me and put the splits in a trailer or cart. They start working the valve with me when they are 3-4 yr old. They pick it up quickly and rarely slip up. I just stay out of the way of the wedge! That said, I'll pick up into the 8-10 inch diameter range and do them horizontal. It's nice to let the splits fall into a trailer or wagon pushed under the beam.

I really like the earmuffs with FM radio built in. I can listen to music or NPR talk. You could feed them with an XM radio or MP3 player too, if you wanted. The old Kohler has a real bark, so if I'm running it at much speed at all I need the muffs.

The old Vermeer is as wide as a car and has car wheels. I keep the pressure low, about 10 PSI I think, and it doesn't bounce noticeably. Goes 70 with no problem. BE SURE TO USE A GOOD SAFETY CHAIN! I know the new ones are narrower (easy to store) and higher, thus more tippy. Still, with appropriate tire pressure they should do fine on any reasonable road. I set the pressure by letting air out until I see some deflection of the sidewall at the bottom of the tire, like you see on your car.

Use gas stabilizer and crank her monthly. Cleaning carbs is no fun! I'm always cleaning up wood or dragging something in, so mine rarely sits more than a month.

It's so heavy I don't think about moving it by hand! Lawn tractor or pickup! I often take it into the woods with the lawn tractor and split into the lawm trailer to keep from moving a big log if it's in a place where I don't want to take the big tractor.

Well, that may be more than you wanted to know.
ENJOY the outdoors and be glad we are in a place where such toys are available and inexpensive! DON"T forget the BEER!

Back