Best Stihl saws ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new here and I have been learning! I work as a Tech for a large farm equipment dealer that sells Stihl equipment. I own Stihl saws because I can get parts and new saws cheap. I was wandering what models everyone likes. I have owned and fixed many Stihl saws 024,026,028,036,044,MS260,360,361,362,460,660 and totally refinished an 088 that sold on ebay for $1250 a $600 profit. I would say the impressive saws were the 026/MS260,MS361 and the MS460. The best in my opinoin is the MS460. The MS460 seems like it has the best power to weight ratio and allways love running one. My MS660 is a beast but I feel like it should be more if I compare it to the 460. The 088 was just a beast that I did'nt need. I search CL and Ebay for broken saws and find the 460 and 660 are hard to get cheap anymore. What are your favorites?

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new here and I have been learning! I work as a Tech for a large farm equipment dealer that sells Stihl equipment. I own Stihl saws because I can get parts and new saws cheap. I was wandering what models everyone likes. I have owned and fixed many Stihl saws 024,026,028,036,044,MS260,360,361,362,460,660 and totally refinished an 088 that sold on ebay for $1250 a $600 profit. I would say the impressive saws were the 026/MS260,MS361 and the MS460. The best in my opinoin is the MS460. The MS460 seems like it has the best power to weight ratio and allways love running one. My MS660 is a beast but I feel like it should be more if I compare it to the 460. The 088 was just a beast that I did'nt need. I search CL and Ebay for broken saws and find the 460 and 660 are hard to get cheap anymore. What are your favorites?

Ms 200T, 440 ,460 all you really need right there.

My faves are the 046, 066 and when they made the 044 it was a pretty dang good one. The one I prefer most os the 046 / 460 kinda like the older models better though.I have an 036 that just doesnt have the umph and speed of the 046.

The 440 just doesn't have the snot I want. Maybe back in the day, but not any more. I have an early 044 non-decomp cylinder that I have saved for a future project. They were significantly stronger than those made since. The new ones are quite enemic, not even close in power to a 441C-M.

Design/engineering wise, the best no doubt is the Euro (non EPA) version of the MS361 - sad that they were so slow at updating other sizes to that level, and was overtaken by the "strato" period before they got around to it! :msp_wink:

I love running the old ones, but as far as the overall best saw I'd have to agree with the MS460. You can port/polish and muffler-tweak that saw to make quite a beast out of it, esp. for the weight of it. Now I must admit I had fun running the 660 Magnum with a 36" bar that my buddy has, but not all day long. The 460 you could run and run and run, and it will give your cheeks cramps from the smile it puts on your face all day long!

Design/engineering wise, the best no doubt is the Euro (non EPA) version of the MS361 - sad that they were so slow at updating other sizes to that level, and was overtaken by the "strato" period before they got around to it! :msp_wink:

Two years ago When I heard the 361 was discontinued I purchased 2 of them for 500 each
and also a new MS460 to replace the 046 I had used for almost 10 years.

My plan was to use the 460 and 361 and lay up a NIB 361 to save for later.

About 6 months later I went through a divorce and all of these became colateral damage from it. :mad:

I also had about 40 other Stihl saws in stock at the time to tell you that these were my favorites.

Have had a few more since and do have another 046 right now but am still looking for a NOS or near new 361 currently.

These 361's were sold never fired and the 460 was dumped with only 2 cuts made.

CIMG0714.jpg

The 045/056 series was hard to beat back in the day and still run strong today. My 032 is still running strong after 30+ years of service. I have a few modern saws that I will rely on for the next 30 years, the ms260, ms441, and 066.

I work as a Tech for a large farm equipment dealer that sells Stihl equipment. What are your favorites?

Hi Chad, and welcome to the forum. Best vs favorite. I don't know which Stihl saw is "the best". I cut only 10 cords of firewood a year so I just don't put that much time on a saw. That being the case, I can't justify a big saw or a pro saw. My new MS290 with a 16' bar seems to fit my needs pretty well. It's not high tech as it uses old tried and true technology, but it'll do anything I'll ever ask of a chainsaw and then some. Cut quite a few 25"+ trees with it, but most of my stuff is 10" to 18". And with proper care and maintenance, it should last a lifetime. It's a pretty darn good saw. It's my new favorite. I'll bet you sell a ton of 250's and 290's.

My other favorite is my 10 year old MS170 with a 14" bar. I've worked the snot out of this little sucker. Cut over 50 cords with it, including some 25" + stuff. Light, reliable as dirt, and a pure pleasure to use. It ain't fast, but at 66, neither am I. I know some bad mouth the little 170, but it has served me extremely well. It's earned its keep 10 times over.

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
460...ported polished with dp muffler and maxflow filter. Snappy power!

So I never ran a ported 460 is it really worth the time and money to port a 460? I thought about it but didnt know if there was a big adavantage. Will I be pleased if I get a 460 woods ported and squish band cut so It has 190 psi comp? Will porting and raising the comp lower the life of the saw?

So I never ran a ported 460 is it really worth the time and money to port a 460? I thought about it but didnt know if there was a big adavantage. Will I be pleased if I get a 460 woods ported and squish band cut so It has 190 psi comp? Will porting and raising the comp lower the life of the saw?

It's night and day. Well worth the time and money. I've ran quite a few ported 460s done by the best on this site and they were all mean machines. There's just nothing better than a ported worksaw.

I also really like a ported 441cm.

I do firewood only and have two 031's that are about 40 years old that I lost count of the chains and bars I've gone through. I will admit that at my age, they are starting to get heavy!

Sounds like an upgrade to a MS261 is in order:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back